Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/06/2020 at 07:37, davieG said:

Having to press a crease down the front trouser legs.

Still doing that frequently. Can be a nightmare, especially in trousers with a glued in wonky crease where you don’t want it. National Rail could run a service on some of my previous attempts.

• Haha 1

On 01/01/2018 at 08:25, Buce said:

Going back a bit in this thread but that is the advert we saw being filmed on Cross Lane in Mountsorrel.

The house behind to the right was Sandy Smalls who had a sports shop in thurmaston opposite the Coop somewhere in the top car park now called Sandy Small Sports.

Back when sports shops sold sports gear.

Another one I remember that every kid at school went to for trainers or jackets was MC Sports in Belgrave Gate, changed to Rendez Vous in later years I think.

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

If you wanted 'fast food' your options were a fish and chip shop or Wimpys............ or Swiss Cottage if you were posh.

If you fancied a coffee, you went home and made one.

We must have been posh - we used to go to Bruciannis on Churchgate for a coffee!

19 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

If you wanted 'fast food' your options were a fish and chip shop or Wimpys............ or Swiss Cottage if you were posh.

Swiss cottage used to do the best Cherry pie slices with cream. My Nana (who liked to think she was posh) used to take me and my Mum on Saturday's for a treat. 

19 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

41 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Swiss cottage used to do the best Cherry pie slices with cream. My Nana (who liked to think she was posh) used to take me and my Mum on Saturday's for a treat. 

What was Swiss Cottage - and was it a local Leicester place or a chain?

I don't remember it at all - and I'm sure that I'm "old enough to remember" (though I didn't grow up in Leicester). If it was a chain, maybe I wasn't posh enough...but more likely my Mum disapproved of "unhealthy fast food".

We'd only be allowed fish and chips on holiday and she'd have disapproved of Wimpy (I snuck in there occasionally without her knowing when in town as a teenager).

Mind you, she didn't even allow us to have a TV until I was 12 - and only then only on condition that it had doors that could be pulled across and that we didn't watch that trashy ITV.

That's funny that you mention your Nana who aspired to be posh, Suzie. I was just reminiscing with a cousin the other day about our Grandma, who was the same.

She lived on the same road as my cousin's other grandma and they were like a comedy double act, because although they were friendly & went shopping together, our shared grandma thought the other one was a social embarrassment.

She used to show our Grandma up by waving ostentatiously at buses and shouting "Whoo-eee!".....an outrageous social crime in the 70s, apparently. :D

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

There used to be a Kenco Coffee Shop in Granby St in the 60s just down from the station on the right as you headed into town. It used to get packed after the pubs shut. 

Drinking Coffee out  then became unfashionable I guess with the rise of loads of fast food outlets.

Mentioned in here - https://kennywilson.org/2014/10/10/mods-in-leicester-u-k-in-the-mid-1960s/

Not that I was a mod or a rocker I gues in the words of George Harrison - Um, no, I'm a mocker.:P

Edit - just found out it was at 90 Granby St - file:///C:/Users/jjblue/Downloads/p16445coll2_4184 (1).pdf

Now/2019 looks like a charity shop -https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6327328,-1.1283657,3a,75y,25.29h,86.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZfFba--eoX_yx8SitCI6aQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

24 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I don't remember it at all - and I'm sure that I'm "old enough to remember" (though I didn't grow up in Leicester). If it was a chain, maybe I wasn't posh enough...but more likely my Mum disapproved of "unhealthy fast food".

We'd only be allowed fish and chips on holiday and she'd have disapproved of Wimpy (I snuck in there occasionally without her knowing when in town as a teenager).

Mind you, she didn't even allow us to have a TV until I was 12 - and only then only on condition that it had doors that could be pulled across and that we didn't watch that trashy ITV.

That's funny that you mention your Nana who aspired to be posh, Suzie. I was just reminiscing with a cousin the other day about our Grandma, who was the same.

She lived on the same road as my cousin's other grandma and they were like a comedy double act, because although they were friendly & went shopping together, our shared grandma thought the other one was a social embarrassment.

She used to show our Grandma up by waving ostentatiously at buses and shouting "Whoo-eee!".....an outrageous social crime in the 70s, apparently. :D

I think it was local to Leicester, it wasn't really a fast food restaurant per se, more of a posh cafe. If i recall correctly (i was only a kid at the time) there was at least 3 in the city. Charles Street, Church Gate and in the Haymarket. But i could be way off as it was so many years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I think it was a chain, they had a branch on Lee Circle. I always assumed it was posh so obviously we never went in. An iced bun twice a year at Brucianno's was the limit of our eating out as kids.

• Haha 1

Was never old enough to remember when the Turkish Cafe (I am assuming it was originally!) but always loved the building.

(Maybe its been a cafe since/now, as I have not been back for ages)

Image result for leicester granby street turkish cafe

FFS. Seems I am too old to remember I asked this same question many years ago  :doh:

Edited by Dahnsouff

10 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Was never old enough to remember when the Turkish Cafe (I am assuming it was originally!) but always loved the building.

(Maybe its been a cafe since/now, as I have not been back for ages)

Image result for leicester granby street turkish cafe

FFS. Seems I am too old to remember I asked this same question many years ago  :doh:

The charming Art Nouveau style Turkey Café was designed by local architect and former mayor Arthur Wakerley. People at this time were fascinated by “orientalism” and the building reflects Wakerley´s interpretation of Turkish architecture. Turkey the country and turkey the bird are both themes woven into his design. The frontage of the building was covered in matt-glazed Carraraware made by the Royal Doulton Company.

“A place to give rest to the body and pleasure to the eye”

Once finished, the Turkey Café was leased to the restaurateur John Winn, opening in 1901. The family continued to run it until the 1960s. Cafés were popular in Edwardian times as they provided respectable meeting places for women and were promoted by anti-alcohol campaigners as an alternative to pubs.

Advertisements from 1911 show that Winn´s had its own bakery and roasted its coffee each day “by the Most Efficient Mechanical Process Invented”. They claimed to serve “the finest coffee the world produces, roasted hourly, ground hourly, and retaining all its delicious aroma.”

Changes to the Café

In 1911 the café was extended to provide a Smoke Room for gentlemen and extra tearooms. A Ladies´ Orchestra gave performances twice daily. The café regularly hosted social events and the meetings of local clubs and societies. The building has been frequently remodelled, both inside and out, but in the 1980s Rayners Opticians restored the exterior using original architect drawings.

The Turkey Café is now a cocktail bar and is open daily. Find out how to visit.

https://storyofleicester.info/leisure-entertainment/turkey-café/

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

When RAF jets used to fly over your house at low level (and not just if you lived in a cottage in Snowdonia) and scare the crap out of you.

I was reminded of this when that pair of Chinooks flew over the city yesterday. It was quite a racket, but it wouldn't make you drop your tea on the floor, like when a Tornado would fly over your gaff at about 1000 feet. Even at sub-supersonic speeds things like that are LOUD.

I'm not sure when this stopped - I'm guessing around the late 80s/early 90s.

I don't know if this stopped because of air bases closing down or because someone decided it would be nice to stop people having a near heart attack every couple of months

• Like 1

The Nite Owl. A club on Newarke St that used to do soul all-nighters. Was destroyed by fire round turn of the 60s.

Great nights there, amphetamine-fuelled and mad. 

Also the Il Rondo on Silver St and the Burlesque (Humberstone Rd), the latter immortalised by Family, greatest of the Leicester bands.