Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

22 hours ago, Webbo said:

Or one of these

Buy John Lewis & Partners Cellar Dimpled Glass Tankard, Clear, 570ml Online at johnlewis.com

Ahh you kids ;)

This was the ONLY way to drink a beer... i remember an older chap (40ish) back in the day (mid 70's), who had his attached to his belt loops. Never went anywhere without his pewter mug.

Amazon.com | Wentworth Pewter 1 Pint Antique Finish Pewter Tankard ...

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Ahh you kids ;)

This was the ONLY way to drink a beer... i remember an older chap (40ish) back in the day (mid 70's), who had his attached to his belt loops. Never went anywhere without his pewter mug.

Amazon.com | Wentworth Pewter 1 Pint Antique Finish Pewter Tankard ...

I still have my pewter mug from the same era.  It's a bit battered now though.  I still maintain that beer tastes different when drunk from a pewter mug.

On 10/06/2020 at 11:00, Webbo said:

Or one of these

Buy John Lewis & Partners Cellar Dimpled Glass Tankard, Clear, 570ml Online at johnlewis.com

21 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Is there as reason these completely disappeared? I get the taller straight pint glasses are probably much cheaper to produce and distribute but you would’ve thought that at least some more traditional-minded pubs would’ve kept them or that newer hipster pubs would’ve adopted them, I find it bizarre it’s almost totally vanished, I’ve certainly never seen one.

I think they were phased out as they were often the weapon of choice in a pub brawl and could cause some serious head injuries as they were made from thick, heavy glass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I think they were phased out as they were often the weapon of choice in a pub brawl and could cause some serious head injuries as they were made from thick, heavy glass.

They certainly did ...  however, the newer ones can be easily broken and probably caused more damage when pushed into someones face ...   concussion swings and gashed face roundabouts i'm afraid ...   :(

21 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Image result for double diamond beer

Well not remember exactly, but my old man still talks about it  :rolleyes:

Double Diamond ads were decades ahead of their time.

A 1960's promotion used the tag......... When U Q 4 A Q, Q 4 A DD

This is where modern text speak originates !!

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

The size of a depth charge and had a tendency to explode if anyone could drive a spike into it to get the beer out.  The model for modern fire extinguishers.

2026752808_party7.thumb.png.70942dbd751e6eb0241522a14526cfc3.png

Bought a few of them in my time especially as pubs closed at 11pm it was the only way you could really extend a party, appropriately named

6 hours ago, Countryfox said:

They certainly did ...  however, the newer ones can be easily broken and probably caused more damage when pushed into someones face ...   concussion swings and gashed face roundabouts i'm afraid ...   :(

I've seen a few pretty nasty facial wounds from all kinds of glass containers in pub fights as well as broken cheekbones and jaws from bottles.

I myself had a fractured cheekbone many tears ago after being smashed in the face with a glass ashtray.

As long as there's glass bottles and glasses in pubs, this will always be the case. 

I for one, certainly don't like drinking from plastic but then I'm at the age where I don't go to lad pubs. Warm draught bitter in a pub with no juke box, just sky/BT so I can watch the sport with friends and chat and put the world to rights.

Hopefully those times will return soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

The size of a depth charge and had a tendency to explode if anyone could drive a spike into it to get the beer out.  The model for modern fire extinguishers.

2026752808_party7.thumb.png.70942dbd751e6eb0241522a14526cfc3.png

I was at a party in my 20's, dating a girl I really wanted impress. I took one of these along but had no means to open it so, I got a knife from the drawer and an empty beer bottle. I held the knife so that the point of the knife was on the edge of the can and I held the bottle by the neck. I slammed the bottle in a stabbing motion onto the end of the knife. The base of the bottle smashed and the remaining broken body of the bottle ripped into my fist. Lots of blood and a trip to A&E. The girl of my dreams stayed with me for another 2 years so I must've done something to impress. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Bought a few of them in my time especially as pubs closed at 11pm it was the only way you could really extend a party, appropriately named

Me too but the ABV was dismal.

11 hours ago, Parafox said:

I was at a party in my 20's, dating a girl I really wanted impress. I took one of these along but had no means to open it so, I got a knife from the drawer and an empty beer bottle. I held the knife so that the point of the knife was on the edge of the can and I held the bottle by the neck. I slammed the bottle in a stabbing motion onto the end of the knife. The base of the bottle smashed and the remaining broken body of the bottle ripped into my fist. Lots of blood and a trip to A&E. The girl of my dreams stayed with me for another 2 years so I must've done something to impress. 

And that's why you decided to become a paramedic?.......:)

• Haha 1

On 11/06/2020 at 17:03, davieG said:

Pah! Surely you bumpkins should have realised that the only way to attend a party in the 60/70s if you wanted to impress the laydees was to arrive clutching a bottle of this 

69736AC2-4EF2-43F0-8BA5-1DA0282E05B8.jpeg

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, surrifox said:

Pah! Surely you bumpkins should have realised that the only way to attend a party in the 60/70s if you wanted to impress the laydees was to arrive clutching a bottle of this 

Would’ve been mid eighties I first sampled the delights of Blue Nun. 

The unmistakable taste of migraine inducing chemically sweetness.

Ah, those were the days...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, surrifox said:

27 minutes ago, Milo said:

S01E01-50SS409a-subtitled.jpg.1d7550c940f1ffb976c1bdd0914f5277.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Milo said:

God, yes. The hangover from a bottle of blue nun was like no other hangover. The dry mouth and throat, the residual taste if you burped, the headache radiating into your neck and shoulders. Never again we said...

• Like 1

Public information films such as:

Don't polish a floor underneath a rug.

Don't bank - up your fire in foggy weather.

Don't use matches to connected bare wires to electrical sockets.

Insulate your water pipes

Grim reaper waiting alongside a stretch water just waiting for you to fall in.

Reginald Molehusband.

I could go on.....