Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I'm old enough to remember when TV shows didn't have "Don't Try This At Home" warnings.

Perhaps the human race was a bit smarter back then.

Or maybe they weren't, which is why they had to start adding the warning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I'm old enough to remember when TV shows didn't have "Don't Try This At Home" warnings.

I don't think they were. I often see people use the old 'we didn't have to wear seat belts when I was young and we were ok' Well yes, that's true, except for the ones who died. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I don't think they were. I often see people use the old 'we didn't have to wear seat belts when I was young and we were ok' Well yes, that's true, except for the ones who died. 

Aye it makes me squirm when I think that we used to drive around with 3 young kids in the back of the car all unharnessed all the way to the Atlantic coast of France and back for example. 

I had a series of green cars, not planned just a coincidence and we were hit, not seriously about 7 times. I guess we were lucky.

Not had a green car since and not been hit  :fc:

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Aye it makes me squirm when I think that we used to drive around with 3 young kids in the back of the car all unharnessed all the way to the Atlantic coast of France and back for example. 

While being pissed on red wine :D

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

When RAF jets used to fly over your house at low level (and not just if you lived in a cottage in Snowdonia) and scare the crap out of you.

I was reminded of this when that pair of Chinooks flew over the city yesterday. It was quite a racket, but it wouldn't make you drop your tea on the floor, like when a Tornado would fly over your gaff at about 1000 feet. Even at sub-supersonic speeds things like that are LOUD.

I'm not sure when this stopped - I'm guessing around the late 80s/early 90s.

I don't know if this stopped because of air bases closing down or because someone decided it would be nice to stop people having a near heart attack every couple of months

I'm old enough to remember the Leicester air show at stoughton. 

50k punters... picnics, deck chairs and little gas stoves for a cuppa. August bank holiday sunday. Hours of traffic jams getting out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm old enough to remember the Leicester air show at stoughton. 

50k punters... picnics, deck chairs and little gas stoves for a cuppa. August bank holiday sunday. Hours of traffic jams getting out. 

We used to sit on our garage roof in Great Glen and watch the fly over.

6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

While being pissed on red wine :D

Remember the song but never a big drinker and happy to say never driven with more than 1 pint in my body.

Cant say the same about Women on my mind :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, davieG said:

I had a series of green cars, not planned just a coincidence and we were hit, not seriously about 7 times. I guess we were lucky.

Not had a green car since and not been hit  :fc:

I used to stand up in-between the 2 front seats all the way to Torquay and back every July fortnight. 

God knows how I'm still alive! 

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Remember the song but never a big drinker and happy to say never driven with more than 1 pint in my body.

Fair play to ya.

I remember as a kid in the late 70's/early 80's being in my uncle's car on occasions when he'd been drinking all day.

Obviously never gave it a thought at the time but looking back, what the fvck was he thinking?

No excuse but I guess there just weren't as many cars on the road back then and some drivers were happy to take the risk.

Just now, Izzy said:

Fair play to ya.

I remember as a kid in the late 70's/early 80's being in my uncle's car on occasions when he'd been drinking all day.

Obviously never gave it a thought at the time but looking back, what the fvck was he thinking?

No excuse but I guess there just weren't as many cars on the road back then and some drivers were happy to take the risk.

Not so much taking a risk, there weren't even laws against it that long ago! 

My Mrs' grandad I'd 89 now, he was a dreyman. 

Had a pint at every pub he delivered to. Unbelievable to think that nowadays.

45 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Fair play to ya.

My brother had a mate who could drink 10 pints and seem more sober than me after 2/3. I remember after a Rag day parade a load of us filling out his Triumph Herald Estate with the back open and legs hanging out driving around and across Victoria Park, although to be fair as part of the parade there were a few vehicles parked on the park.

We’d regularly cram loads into a car to drive to some countryside pub. 

Just remembered I used to visit an older brother in Chelsea and he had a rust box car with no real floor in the drivers seat just had a thick bit of carpet on the floor and his accelerator was controlled by a bit of string going through the dash to where the throttle linkage was. 

But then all cars older than 5 years were rust boxes on a chassis.

Something I'm old enough to remember, but only remembered recently and didn't know the name of......

A trafficator (I had to Google the word)

220px-Trafficator.jpg 220px-Armstrong_Siddeley_Sapphire_Winker.jpg

I was born near Heathrow but we moved to Kent when I was aged 3.5.

Until recently, I thought that I only had 1 memory pre-Kent: the horror, aged 3, of seeing my Dad thrown onto a public bonfire (turned out to be Guy Fawkes :D).

Then, the other week I suddenly recovered a memory from that time of being in a 1950s car loving the entertainment of the orange trafficator light going in and out. There was also a jokey bloke in a suit (can't have been my Dad as he didn't drive then - possibly my uncle or a colleague of my Dad's). Weird things brains and what can still seep out of them....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Almost every single regulation written is written in blood.

Something to remember.

9 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Survivorship bias.

With respect, you do see it rather prevalent among older people.

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Survivorship bias.

With respect, you do see it rather prevalent among older people.

Guilty as charged but there's no doubt in my mind that there are instances where it has gone too far and is counterproductive. An example yesterday not a life threatening one. I was starting a bottle (plastic unfortunately) of drink and was looking for the storage instructions but the writing was too small to read so I had to get a magnifying glass. I came across this instruction/safety advice. Shake well before use. Make sure the lid is on before shaking. Really is the 2nd party so necessary to make it all unreadable with the naked eye?

37 minutes ago, davieG said:

Guilty as charged but there's no doubt in my mind that there are instances where it has gone too far and is counterproductive. An example yesterday not a life threatening one. I was starting a bottle (plastic unfortunately) of drink and was looking for the storage instructions but the writing was too small to read so I had to get a magnifying glass. I came across this instruction/safety advice. Shake well before use. Make sure the lid is on before shaking. Really is the 2nd party so necessary to make it all unreadable with the naked eye?

Yeah, having the print too small rather defeats the purpose.

However, I believe that the vast majority of such regs have been put on there because something bad happened when they were not, and as I'm no social Darwinist I think that makes them necessary.