Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The dieting thread

38 minutes ago, Captain... said:

How's everyone getting on?

New Years motivation starting to wearing off pounds creeping back on? Still 100% committed?

I'm officially a healthy weight according to the massively flawed BMI, so my challenge is to stay under this threshold. I would like to lose a few more pounds, but after a weekend away with beers, bacon sarnies, crisps, doughnuts, cake, coffee and thai curry need a good week to get back on it.

Don't ask ...   too much travelling around at the moment so can't get on it ...     north of 15 again but hope to get back on course in a few weeks.

Edited by Countryfox

6 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Don't ask ...   too much travelling around at the moment so can't get on it ...     north of 15 again but hope to get back on course in a few weeks.

I have a few work trips coming up, hopefully able to keep on top of what I eat.

56 minutes ago, Captain... said:

How's everyone getting on?

New Years motivation starting to wearing off pounds creeping back on? Still 100% committed?

I'm officially a healthy weight according to the massively flawed BMI, so my challenge is to stay under this threshold. I would like to lose a few more pounds, but after a weekend away with beers, bacon sarnies, crisps, doughnuts, cake, coffee and thai curry need a good week to get back on it.

I've finally taken the plunge and gone full vegan. I was pretty much there anyway having dropped dairy, so it was just a matter of the eggs.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Buce said:

I've finally taken the plunge and gone full vegan. I was pretty much there anyway having dropped dairy, so it was just a matter of the eggs.

No leather jackets belts or shoes Bucey ?? ....   any nice ones you want to get rid of ?? ...   what size are you ??

ChubbyCountryFox ...   never one to miss an opportunity ! ...   :thumbup:

This is somewhat the opposite of this thread, but along the same lines. I'm currently training for the Brighton Marathon in a few weeks and eating enough of the right calories, protein, iron etc to meet my needs as 6ft 3 male whom has then burnt 2,500 calories from a run is almost impossible whilst working full-time alongside the training. How the hell Olympians stomach the amount of food that they do is beyond me.  

30 minutes ago, Buce said:

I still fluctuate between the two, I think it's termed 'flexitarian' possibly. Occasional eggs, very little cheese and goats milk slip in sometimes. Like yourself my other half is vegan so that makes it easier! 

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

lol

I've bought some new cookbooks recently that persuaded me:

HNTD.jpg.ad51a0684562fec33d58b8e07c1d41c8.jpgHNTDC.jpg.decfb9ff061c8005d4db58964c05e4e2.jpg

I've got a book called 'Food to die for' and I'm about to try try a few items from it in the next couple of hours ...   yep you've guessed it ! ..  few beers followed by steak and chips !! ...    :)

2 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

This is somewhat the opposite of this thread, but along the same lines. I'm currently training for the Brighton Marathon in a few weeks and eating enough of the right calories, protein, iron etc to meet my needs as 6ft 3 male whom has then burnt 2,500 calories from a run is almost impossible whilst working full-time alongside the training. How the hell Olympians stomach the amount of food that they do is beyond me.  

I still fluctuate between the two, I think it's termed 'flexitarian' possibly. Occasional eggs, very little cheese and goats milk slip in sometimes. Like yourself my other half is vegan so that makes it easier! 

I make a bit of an effort too ....   I go full vegan when I'm asleep. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It's no fookin good. I'm just getting bigger...

Are you sticking to the slimming world diet?

If you're sticking to the diet and getting bigger you should probably see a doctor, if you're just drinking and eating too much and can't stick to your diet then it is time for a new diet.

23 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

No leather jackets belts or shoes Bucey ?? ....   any nice ones you want to get rid of ?? ...   what size are you ??

ChubbyCountryFox ...   never one to miss an opportunity ! ...   :thumbup:

You can have my leather jacket, CF...

...when you prise it from my cold, dead hands. :angry:

No, joking aside, my decision is based purely on a morbid fear of old age - it's why exercise as fanatically as I do (Every day I do something - either swim 50 lengths, pump iron for an hour, walk 10 miles or cycle 20). I do have compassion for animals too, but it's a nice bonus rather than a prime motivator, tbh. I still have things on my bucket list that require a high degree of fitness and strength and if I thought I wasn't going to do them I'd probably give up on life altogether.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Yeah, that's what I was doing and having the familiar worries about protein etc but I researched it thoroughly and the only issue I'm going to have is the absence of B12 in the diet, which may require a supplement or at the very least eating nutritional yeast flakes (which I hate the taste of).

What approach does your partner take to it?

Edited by Buce

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

You can have my leather jacket, CF...

...when you prise it from my cold, dead hands. :angry:

No, joking aside, my decision is based purely on a morbid fear of old age - it's why exercise as fanatically as I do (Every day I do something - either swim 50 lengths, pump iron for an hour, walk 10 miles or cycle 20). I do have compassion for animals too, but it's a nice bonus rather than a prime motivator, tbh. I still have things on my bucket list that require a high degree of fitness and strength and if I thought I wasn't going to do them I'd probably give up on life altogether.

All the more reason to eat nothing but butter and have a heart attack at 50.

• Like 1

I changed my diet in 2003 - cut out carbs essentially - and went from 18 1/2 stone down to 14 1/2 in 12 months. Dropped to 13 1/2 at one point but that was too much. Was 16 stone a month ago. Now south of 15 1/2 having made a few subtle changes to my diet. It's not so much about how much I weigh though, it's how clothes fit, how my shape is and I do more weight based stuff in the gym. State of mind is key to losing the flab and getting in shape.

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I changed my diet in 2003 - cut out carbs essentially - and went from 18 1/2 stone down to 14 1/2 in 12 months. Dropped to 13 1/2 at one point but that was too much. Was 16 stone a month ago. Now south of 15 1/2 having made a few subtle changes to my diet. It's not so much about how much I weigh though, it's how clothes fit, how my shape is and I do more weight based stuff in the gym. State of mind is key to losing the flab and getting in shape.

Absolutely - I have no idea how much I weigh.

May I ask how tall you are?

15 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

So can a 25 year old be old aged? :D 

In a physical sense, yeah, thought they would have had to have seriously abused their health.

Certainly, though, there are people in their thirties who have a physiological age of fifty plus, and it's physiological age that counts.

20 minutes ago, Buce said:

Yeah, that's what I was doing and having the familiar worries about protein etc but I researched it thoroughly and the only issue I'm going to have is the absence of B12 in the diet, which may require a supplement or at the very least eating nutritional yeast flakes (which I hate the taste of).

What approach does your partner take to it?

Yeah - B12 is seemingly the only/biggest difference between the two as dairy still offers enough for a veggie. The protein thing is just a myth, as i'm sure you know from being veggie, If anything, when i'm not running, I have too much protein. 

She was veggie for about 9 years for the animals, and has been vegan for about 18 months for both animals and health. Generally speaking the only dairy she ever had was unhealthy stuff like cheese and chocolate, and the only thing she craves now dairy wise are still those two and on the very rare occasion that she has caved she doesn't really beat herself up about it as it's about moderation and 'doing what you can'. As with anything if you become to militant and harsh on yourself with it then you'll end up resenting it I guess!

She's also got every book going (including How Not to Die which she's always telling me to read) so mainly gets inspiration food wise from there and social media. She's very much the cook out the two of us too so there's always a cupboard full of chickpeas, lentils, beans etc and plenty of recipes that a food novice like me can manage.