Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The dieting thread

1 minute ago, David Guiza said:

Yeah - B12 is seemingly the only/biggest difference between the two as dairy still offers enough for a veggie. The protein thing is just a myth, as i'm sure you know from being veggie, If anything, when i'm not running, I have too much protein. 

She was veggie for about 9 years for the animals, and has been vegan for about 18 months for both animals and health. Generally speaking the only dairy she ever had was unhealthy stuff like cheese and chocolate, and the only thing she craves now dairy wise are still those two and on the very rare occasion that she has caved she doesn't really beat herself up about it as it's about moderation and 'doing what you can'. As with anything if you become to militant and harsh on yourself with it then you'll end up resenting it I guess!

She's also got every book going (including How Not to Die which she's always telling me to read) so mainly gets inspiration food wise from there and social media. She's very much the cook out the two of us too so there's always a cupboard full of chickpeas, lentils, beans etc and plenty of recipes that a food novice like me can manage.  

Yeah, protein is just a question of eating the right complimentary proteins, something I do anyway.

Re. your partner, I actually meant how does she deal with the B12 issue?

26 minutes ago, Buce said:

Absolutely - I have no idea how much I weigh.

May I ask how tall you are?

24 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Yes you may.

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

I was prepared to accept that as a friend of Izzy's maybe you weren't such a dick.

I hate it when you two fall out. 

#awkward

I've lost 20 lbs since New Year's Day. Only problem is, I put 15 lbs on over the Christmas period so I'm only down a net 5 lbs in the last 2 months. I was hoping to get into the 14 stone region before the end of March but I'm starting to doubt that I'll achieve that goal. Currently 15st7lbs. As long as I keep losing weight consistently, no matter how small it is, I'll be happy.

4 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I hate it when you two fall out. #awkward

We haven't fallen out. There was no falling in in the first place.

I appreciate that Buce as an angry, hard-left vegan may not be the life and soul of every party but I was only bloody messing about FFS !!

I'm 6ft2 by the way. Peace and love Bucey xxxxxxxxxxx

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Yeah, protein is just a question of eating the right complimentary proteins, something I do anyway.

Re. your partner, I actually meant how does she deal with the B12 issue?

She takes a supplement whenever she remembers (probably 4/5 days a week). As a woman she struggles a little with iron sometimes also so occasionally takes a supplement/sachet for that, but those are the only accompaniments to her usual diet. 

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Yeah, that's what I was doing and having the familiar worries about protein etc but I researched it thoroughly and the only issue I'm going to have is the absence of B12 in the diet, which may require a supplement or at the very least eating nutritional yeast flakes (which I hate the taste of).

What approach does your partner take to it?

Mrs CF says the doctor should monitor your B12 levels and will give you a jab when you fall below ...

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

She takes a supplement whenever she remembers (probably 4/5 days a week). As a woman she struggles a little with iron sometimes also so occasionally takes a supplement/sachet for that, but those are the only accompaniments to her usual diet. 

The body isn't very efficient at absorbing iron from vegetable sources, but here's a top tip: If you consume a source of Vitamin C with your food, the absorption of iron is increased by a factor of five.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Mrs CF says the doctor should monitor your B12 levels and will give you a jab when you fall below ...

Thank her for me, CF. :)

Mrs B had her blood tested a while back and her levels were spot on (she takes a supplement).

11 minutes ago, Marmite said:

How’s it going for everyone? 

I weighed my myself on Tuesday and was done to 13st 11. I can’t seem to lose anymore than 2 pounds a week but I’m not complaining. Weigh day again this Tuesday so hopefully get to 13st 9

2 pounds a week is decent, it’s sustainable and means that you probably aren’t just starving yourself all week.

As I guessed I lost another 2 pounds this week so down to 13,9. I Have decided that 13st will be my goal weight and I will try and stay around that figure for the future. 

I told a girl at work about intermittent fasting and she has started it and lost 4 pounds in the first week, she was chuffed to bits. 

I recommend it to anyone looking at losing weight and the great thing about it is that it’s not a diet as such, just a pattern of eating. I have had takeaways, eaten out at weekends and had a few pints and lost weight every week. There are plenty of videos on YouTube explaining it in greater detail, give it a try, what you got to lose? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m down to 13,6 now, just 6 pounds to go till my goal weight. 

I ate loads last week, I went out for an Indian with work on Tuesday night and Saturday I went to Rubs in Nottingham and had the biggest burrito with a few beers and then pizza on Sunday night. I still lost just over a pound. :)

Well, it's been a month now since I began a vegan diet, and I'm seeing some interesting results:

• I'm sleeping much better (I've previously had long periods of insomnia)
  • I have more mental and physical energy
  • I have increased in strength and stamina (more reps and an extra 5kg on the bar)
  • I'm leaner with increased definition

Now, I'm not saying there's necessarily cause and effect going on; it may be a cascade effect from sleeping better (ie better quality sleep = more energy = more intense working out = strength and stamina gains and burning of body fat). And sleeping better might be because I've taken to snacking on broad beans before bedtime (they contain l-dopa which the body converts to dopamine).

One other thing is that I'm feeling hornier which implies increased testosterone production (which might also account for lean muscle gains). There is science behind this - dairy cattle are pumped full of female hormones to increase milk production and they end up in the milk. Although I had more or less given up dairy prior to becoming vegan, I was using whey protein which I no longer do. If there is a downside it's that I'm hungry much more often, so I'm spending more time preparing and eating food than before (I guess that's from taking the calories from saturated fats out of my diet).

Anyway, I know some of you struggle with weight loss and dieting so I thought I'd share.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

Well, it's been a month now since I began a vegan diet, and I'm seeing some interesting results:

• I'm sleeping much better (I've previously had long periods of insomnia)
  • I have more mental and physical energy
  • I have increased in strength and stamina (more reps and an extra 5kg on the bar)
  • I'm leaner with increased definition

Now, I'm not saying there's necessarily cause and effect going on; it may be a cascade effect from sleeping better (ie better quality sleep = more energy = more intense working out = strength and stamina gains and burning of body fat). And sleeping better might be because I've taken to snacking on broad beans before bedtime (they contain l-dopa which the body converts to dopamine).

One other thing is that I'm feeling hornier which implies increased testosterone production (which might also account for lean muscle gains). There is science behind this - dairy cattle are pumped full of hormones to increase milk production and they end up in the milk. Although I had more or less given up dairy prior to becoming vegan, I was using whey protein which I no longer do. If there is a downside it's that I'm hungry much more often, so I'm spending more time preparing and eating food than before (I guess that's from taking the calories from saturated fats out of my diet).

Anyway, I know some of you struggle with weight loss and dieting so I thought I'd share.

But have you got any friends left?

1 minute ago, Buce said:

I never had any to start with... :D

lol Ideal.

Must be a massive faf being Vegan. I could probably just about manage to be a veggie though. 

My sister talked about being vegan and she eats round mine once a month, pretty sure I would present her with a lettuce and tell her to be grateful.

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

lol Ideal.

Must be a massive faf being Vegan. I could probably just about manage to be a veggie though. 

My sister talked about being vegan and she eats round mine once a month, pretty sure I would present her with a lettuce and tell her to be grateful.

Not really, but I work from home - I could imagine it being more hassle if I had to go out to work.

Then again, it's about being organised really (you know, with shopping and food preparation) and that's true whatever you eat, albeit to a lesser extent probably.

Just now, Buce said:

Not really, but I work from home - I could imagine it being more hassle if I had to go out to work.

Then again, it's about being organised really (you know, with shopping and food preparation) and that's true whatever you eat, albeit to a lesser extent probably.

I mean like eating out etc. 

8 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I mean like eating out etc. 

Oh, right. Yeah, choices are a bit restricted but it's getting better - the missus has been vegan for a couple of years now and she really struggled when eating out at first, but it's definitely becoming more mainstream. Most places have vegan options now and there are dedicated vegan restaurants in most cities, even abroad.

Edited by Buce

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

Oh, right. Yeah, choices are a bit restricted but it's getting better - the missus has been vegan for a couple of years now and she really struggled when eating out at first, but it's definitely becoming more mainstream. Most places have vegan options now and there are dedicated vegan restaurants in most cities, even abroad.

I guess so but any idea where you can get a vegan roast chicken?