Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The dieting thread

Just about managing to maintain my weight after a month of multiple stag dos and various nights of enforced eating out and drinking copiously.

A couple of days of being good is normally enough to clear away any excess weight. The last few days of beer and ice cream weather hasn't helped.

Back on it this week and hoping to hit a new low, before wedding season kicks in.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fasting diets may raise risk of diabetes, researchers warn

New study also suggests regimes that include intermittent fasting may cause other long-term health problems

Fasting every other day to lose weight could have damaging side effects. That is the conclusion of a group of scientists speaking this weekend at the European Society of Endocrinology’s annual meeting.

Their findings suggest that fasting-based diets may impair the action of sugar-regulating hormone insulin, and lead to increased risk of diabetes. Care should be taken before starting such programmes, say researchers.

Ana Bonassa, whose team from the University of São Paulo in Brazil carried out the study, said: “This is the first study to show that, despite weight loss, intermittent fasting diets may actually damage the pancreas and affect insulin function in normal healthy individuals, which could lead to diabetes and serious health issues.”

In recent years intermittent fasting diets have gained popularity. Participants fast for two days out of seven, or on alternate days. However, evidence of their success has been contradictory and there is debate among doctors about their potential to trigger harmful long-term effects.

Previous research has also shown that short-term fasting can produce molecules called free radicals, highly reactive chemicals that can cause damage to cells in the body and which may be associated with impaired organ function, cancer risk and accelerated ageing.

The São Paulo researchers examined the effects of fasting every other day on the bodyweight, free radical levels and insulin function of normal adult rats over three months. Although the rats’ bodyweight and food intake decreased as expected, the amount of fat tissue in their abdomen actually increased. In addition, cells of the pancreas that release insulin showed damage, while the presence of increased levels of free radicals and markers of insulin resistance were also detected.

The results also suggest that in the long-term harm may be caused and that more investigation is needed to assess how people may be affected, particularly those with existing metabolic issues.

“We should consider that overweight or obese people who opt for intermittent fasting diets may already have insulin resistance, so although this diet may lead to early, rapid weight loss, in the long-term there could be potentially serious damaging effects to their health, such as the development of type 2 diabetes,” added Bonassa.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/20/fasting-diets-raise-risk-of-diabetes

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

Fasting diets may raise risk of diabetes, researchers warn

New study also suggests regimes that include intermittent fasting may cause other long-term health problems

Fasting every other day to lose weight could have damaging side effects. That is the conclusion of a group of scientists speaking this weekend at the European Society of Endocrinology’s annual meeting.

Their findings suggest that fasting-based diets may impair the action of sugar-regulating hormone insulin, and lead to increased risk of diabetes. Care should be taken before starting such programmes, say researchers.

Ana Bonassa, whose team from the University of São Paulo in Brazil carried out the study, said: “This is the first study to show that, despite weight loss, intermittent fasting diets may actually damage the pancreas and affect insulin function in normal healthy individuals, which could lead to diabetes and serious health issues.”

In recent years intermittent fasting diets have gained popularity. Participants fast for two days out of seven, or on alternate days. However, evidence of their success has been contradictory and there is debate among doctors about their potential to trigger harmful long-term effects.

Previous research has also shown that short-term fasting can produce molecules called free radicals, highly reactive chemicals that can cause damage to cells in the body and which may be associated with impaired organ function, cancer risk and accelerated ageing.

The São Paulo researchers examined the effects of fasting every other day on the bodyweight, free radical levels and insulin function of normal adult rats over three months. Although the rats’ bodyweight and food intake decreased as expected, the amount of fat tissue in their abdomen actually increased. In addition, cells of the pancreas that release insulin showed damage, while the presence of increased levels of free radicals and markers of insulin resistance were also detected.

The results also suggest that in the long-term harm may be caused and that more investigation is needed to assess how people may be affected, particularly those with existing metabolic issues.

“We should consider that overweight or obese people who opt for intermittent fasting diets may already have insulin resistance, so although this diet may lead to early, rapid weight loss, in the long-term there could be potentially serious damaging effects to their health, such as the development of type 2 diabetes,” added Bonassa.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/20/fasting-diets-raise-risk-of-diabetes

Interesting stuff Bucey. Although it’s called ‘fasting’ what I believe I actually do is eat very sensibly and greatly reduce my calories over two days whilst drinking plenty of water.   I can understand that a real fast MAY not be a good idea.  I will keep an eye on it though but for the meantime will carry on as it works for me ...    how else would I keep those moobs under control !!   :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Interesting stuff Bucey. Although it’s called ‘fasting’ what I believe I actually do is eat very sensibly and greatly reduce my calories over two days whilst drinking plenty of water.   I can understand that a real fast MAY not be a good idea.  I will keep an eye on it though but for the meantime will carry on as it works for me ...    how else would I keep those moobs under control !!   :)

Get someone to suck the milk out of em

9 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Have you any advice for me about my huge penis?

5 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Suck your own penis, it's well known that your really good at it.

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If I could do that, do you think I'd be married? :(

Moderators ?? ...    my arse !!!

• Haha 2

Have come down from 15st 7lbs to 13st 3 lbs since last October and put on muscle instead of fat too. Have been the same weight now for the last six weeks. Dropped 36" waist to 32". Best shape in over 30 years. Secret has been the gym - strength training sessions - and proper diet. I don't eat shit anymore and use MyFitness Pal to monitor what I eat in terms of calories and type. Recommend the latter highly. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Have come down from 15st 7lbs to 13st 3 lbs since last October and put on muscle instead of fat too. Have been the same weight now for the last six weeks. Dropped 36" waist to 32". Best shape in over 30 years. Secret has been the gym - strength training sessions - and proper diet. I don't eat shit anymore and use MyFitness Pal to monitor what I eat in terms of calories and type. Recommend the latter highly. 

Good on ya mate, that's awesome :appl:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Splendid effort mate...

:thumbup:

• Like 1

On 20/05/2018 at 17:36, FIF said:

Has Tubby Col lost those kilos yet?

22 hours ago, Countryfox said:

I think the lack of a reply speaks volumes ...    :whistle:

43 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Splendid effort mate...

:thumbup:

He's still swerving it FIF ...     :)

Just a quick follow up on my post above and thanks by the way for the likes and comments.

I now realise the huge importance of hydration and fibre in supporting healthy eating and weight management. So I drink a couple of pints of water - with a good squirt of fresh lemon juice - each morning as a start. I also supplement my breakfast (plain Skyr with blueberries and honey) with cold milled flaxseed (Linwood) and chia seeds, both in Tesco. They actually add to the taste. That pushes your fibre up - get at least 35 grams in every day. Not trying to preach, or state the bleedin' obvious, just some things I've learned personally over last six months or so. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd