Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The dieting thread

17 minutes ago, CollinsLCFC said:

I've had my first downfall, was doing really well, going gym 4-5 times a week, eating healthy and started to see the difference. No alcohol, sugar, etc.

Then my partner's birthday came. Treated her to a weekend in London. As soon as we arrived in the morning, full English breakfast, boondocks for lunch, Italian for dinner. Hotel prepared us a bottle of champers in the room. Next day, another full English, five guys lunch and a Chinese for dinner. 

All that work before gone to waste! Only a weekend blip, but I've got that 'all been for nothing' mentality and hard to get back to it 

It's not gone to waste, mate - you may have put a bit of weight back on but the fitness you gained from going to the gym is still there.

I never fuss about weight (in fact I never even weigh myself ) I go by what I see in the mirror. And rememember - muscle weighs more than fat.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CollinsLCFC said:

I've had my first downfall, was doing really well, going gym 4-5 times a week, eating healthy and started to see the difference. No alcohol, sugar, etc.

Then my partner's birthday came. Treated her to a weekend in London. As soon as we arrived in the morning, full English breakfast, boondocks for lunch, Italian for dinner. Hotel prepared us a bottle of champers in the room. Next day, another full English, five guys lunch and a Chinese for dinner. 

All that work before gone to waste! Only a weekend blip, but I've got that 'all been for nothing' mentality and hard to get back to it 

You have to enjoy yourself sometimes mate because if you don’t you will just end up stopping the diet full stop. 

If you are going to the gym five times a week and cutting out sugar you wouldn’t of done that much damage with a few days of bad choices as long as you carried on when you got back. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Aye, get straight back on it. You might find it's helped and you'll lose the blip straight off, the body can adapt to dieting so changing things about can be good.

I've been doing well lately, but working away can get you down, so I got lazy the back end of last week and got steaming at the weekend. But I was up early today, clocked over 21k steps and straight back on the diet. Feeling better, though I can see im a bit smoother, but it'll be off by the end of the week!

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 07:06, Marmite said:

I have lost three pounds when I weighed myself last Tuesday and on Wednesday I started intermittent fasting. I have been having soup around 2pm every day and then my normal meal at night and stop eating at 8pm. I plan to do this 5 times a week and stick to 2500 calories at the weekends. My mate has been doing this and has shifted 2 stone since just before Xmas. 

Its weigh day tomorrow so will let you know if it is working. 

Lost another three pounds this week so really happy with myself :)

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Well done mate. I’m struggling to be honest. When the will power is there, I can do most things I put my mind to. It just ain’t there at the mo...

Why dont you try the intermittent fasting? The hardest part is getting to lunch without eating but as long as you maintain a good diet it should drop off. 

• Like 1

On 29/01/2018 at 16:03, CollinsLCFC said:

A little blowout can be good, even if you put on a few pounds they are normally quite easy to shift. Stick at it and by Friday you'll be probably be below your pre-London weight.

28 minutes ago, Captain... said:

A little blowout can be good, even if you put on a few pounds they are normally quite easy to shift. Stick at it and by Friday you'll be probably be below your pre-London weight.

I'm hoping! I was due to get back to it yesterday, but decided to make a roast with all the trimmings as a farewell. 

When I'm focused on my diet, I'm really good. But I can't stick to the 'one off cheat meal' without it turning into a 3 day binge!

On 30/01/2018 at 17:14, Marmite said:

Why dont you try the intermittent fasting? The hardest part is getting to lunch without eating but as long as you maintain a good diet it should drop off. 

Mug of black coffee at about 10am sorts that out! 

Nothing in it to spike your insulin levels so you haven't broke fast and it surpresses your appetite. Also gives you a kick up the arse energy wise too. 

Been IF for about a year now, I swear by it. 

• Thanks 1

Whole based plant food I have found really good for the last 8 months. I lost quite a bit of weight at the beginning not realising I hadnt consumed enough calories. Fast track ive actually put good muscle weight on to a lot of peoples suprise who didnt think it possible. 

1 hour ago, Kyle_Le_Don said:

Whole based plant food I have found really good for the last 8 months. I lost quite a bit of weight at the beginning not realising I hadnt consumed enough calories. Fast track ive actually put good muscle weight on to a lot of peoples suprise who didnt think it possible. 

This is a common misconception used as an argument against a meat free diet. The fact is that although there are only a few plant sources of complete proteins all that is required is to eat meals that contain complimentary proteins.

Thus you are getting all the protein you need without the calories and saturated fats present in meat.

Edited by Buce

14 hours ago, Buce said:

This is a common misconception used as an argument against a meat free diet. The fact is that although there are only a few plant sources of complete proteins all that is required is to eat meals that contain complimentary proteins.

Thus you are getting all the protein you need without the calories and saturated fats present in meat.

Thanks for that last link that was helpful and good way to consume full proteins. I eat lots of beans, Lentils, quinoa, seeds, tofu and tempeh. I should definitely incorporate more nuts and not just peanut butter which I cant imagine to be too healthy. 

I eat good saturated fats such as avacodos and sunflower seeds ans cocunuts (if that's correct)

The best part about it all is after eating a dinner now within 15-20 mins I could go for a run/gym whereas before I'd more likely prefer a nap haha

7 minutes ago, Kyle_Le_Don said:

Thanks for that last link that was helpful and good way to consume full proteins. I eat lots of beans, Lentils, quinoa, seeds, tofu and tempeh. I should definitely incorporate more nuts and not just peanut butter which I cant imagine to be too healthy. 

I eat good saturated fats such as avacodos and sunflower seeds ans cocunuts (if that's correct)

The best part about it all is after eating a dinner now within 15-20 mins I could go for a run/gym whereas before I'd more likely prefer a nap haha

No worries, mate.

Mrs Buce became a vegan a couple of years back, so I tend to largely eat that way now through expediency (though, tbf, I have been a vegetarian for most of my adult life anyway, so the adjustment wasn't hard) and I haven't noticed any difficulty retaining muscle nor any fall off in energy levels.

I would be wary of coconuts if I were you. They contain a large amount of saturated fats (30g per 100g), and although there is a distiction between saturated fats from an animal source and those from a vegetable source, the jury is still out on whether coconuts can be regarded as healthy or not.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/06/28/is-coconut-oil-bad-for-you-the-debate-is-complex_a_23005267/

Peanut butter, on the other hand, gets a green light, though be sure to buy 100% pure, not the shit with added salt, sugar, palm oil etc (I buy a brand called Meridian, available in Asda)

https://www.health.harvard.edu/healthy-eating/ask-the-doctor-why-is-peanut-butter-healthy-if-it-has-saturated-fat

20 minutes ago, Buce said:

No worries, mate.

Mrs Buce became a vegan a couple of years back, so I tend to largely eat that way now through expediency (though, tbf, I have been a vegetarian for most of my adult life anyway, so the adjustment wasn't hard) and I haven't noticed any difficulty retaining muscle nor any fall off in energy levels.

I would be wary of coconuts if I were you. They contain a large amount of saturated fats (30g per 100g), and although there is a distiction between saturated fats from an animal source and those from a vegetable source, the jury is still out on whether coconuts can be regarded as healthy or not.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/06/28/is-coconut-oil-bad-for-you-the-debate-is-complex_a_23005267/

Peanut butter, on the other hand, gets a green light, though be sure to buy 100% pure, not the shit with added salt, sugar, palm oil etc (I buy a brand called Meridian, available in Asda)

https://www.health.harvard.edu/healthy-eating/ask-the-doctor-why-is-peanut-butter-healthy-if-it-has-saturated-fat

Does Mrs B wear leather Bucey ? ....    and are you veggie and vegan due to health reasons or animal welfare ...  ?

34 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Does Mrs B wear leather Bucey ? ....

No, mate, she practices the principles of ahimsa as far as possible (basically living life without causing harm).

and are you veggie and vegan due to health reasons or animal welfare ...  ?

I became vegetarian about forty years ago, and initially it was probably on ethical grounds (though, tbf, there's very little ethical about dairy and egg production) but now it is primarily for reasons of good health, though I'm not a fan of modern farming methods either.

I eat largely as a vegan now, simply because it is expedient to do so with the missus being one, but it doesn't prevent me eating cheese etc when eating out or on holiday.

I will confess to eating meat on occasions since becoming a vegetarian because when travelling it was sometimes unavoidable and I'm not prepared to starve to death for my beliefs.

I even killed and cooked a rattlesnake once in extremis:blush:

Edited by Buce

1 hour ago, Buce said:

No, mate, she practices the principles of ahimsa as far as possible (basically living life without causing harm).

I became vegetarian about forty years ago, and initially it was probably on ethical grounds (though, tbf, there's very little ethical about dairy and egg production) but now it is primarily for reasons of good health, though I'm not a fan of modern farming methods either.

I eat largely as a vegan now, simply because it is expedient to do so with the missus being one, but it doesn't prevent me eating cheese etc when eating out or on holiday.

I will confess to eating meat on occasions since becoming a vegetarian because when travelling it was sometimes unavoidable and I'm not prepared to starve to death for my beliefs.

I even killed and cooked a rattlesnake once in extremis:blush:

Interesting Bucey ...   were you quite young then when you became vegetarian or are you a lot older than I thought ...   :)

I too have a big problem with modern farming ...   although I still eat meat ...  and have been poking my nose into what goes on at abattoirs ...  it is shocking to put it mildly ...   they need cameras at these places by law but that would open a can of worms so its just shelved.   Animal activists don't get involved cus they are scared ..   a lot of them prefer to meet up on a Saturday and go out playing with the fox hunting brigade ...   

Blimey ..  you got me going there ... !!

Anyway, where is Extremis ..   is it in Europe ?? ...   and how did you kill the rattlesnake ? ...   taste good ?

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Interesting Bucey ...   were you quite young then when you became vegetarian or are you a lot older than I thought ...   :)

I guess that depends on how old you think I am. :)

I too have a big problem with modern farming ...   although I still eat meat ...  and have been poking my nose into what goes on at abattoirs ...  it is shocking to put it mildly ...   they need cameras at these places by law but that would open a can of worms so its just shelved.   Animal activists don't get involved cus they are scared ..   a lot of them prefer to meet up on a Saturday and go out playing with the fox hunting brigade ... 

I've always said, if abattoirs had glass walls we'd all be vegetarian.

Anyway, where is Extremis ..   is it in Europe ?? ...

It's from Latin, innit.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/in-extremis

and how did you kill the rattlesnake ? ... 

I pinned it behind the head with a forked stick and cut off the head with a hunting knife.

taste good ?

I'd been without food for two days so, yeah, it tasted really good.

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

I guess that depends on how old you think I am. :)

I've always said, if abattoirs had glass walls we'd all be vegetarian.

It's from Latin, innit.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/in-extremis

I pinned it behind the head with a forked stick and cut off the head with a hunting knife.

I'd been without food for two days so, yeah, it tasted really good.

Fook me you’re Ray Mears aren’t you !! ...     never had you down as a Leicester fan though Ray ...    :)

50 ?

Just now, Countryfox said:

Fook me you’re Ray Mears aren’t you !! ...     never had you down as a Leicester fan though Ray ...    :)

lol Not quite, mate.

I know basic wilderness survival techniques but survival is 90% a mental thing. Keeping calm is essential - if you panic you make bad decisions.

Just now, Countryfox said:

50 ?

Just turned 58.

6 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Shit, that is old

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Id say almost it was almost ancient Doc ! ...    :)

You know that old saying about being as old as the woman you feel?

Well, I might be 58 but the woman I feel is just 42, losers. :celebrate:

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2