Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Explosion on Hinckley Road

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 08:11, joachim1965 said:

I think there is a lot more to this than we are being told, went by yesterday and a fire engine was just pulling up at the scene, if it was a gas explosion or an illegal vodka still, I think it would all be cleared up by now and the road re opened but there are still police on site as of yesterday.

Have you seen the extent of the damage? No way could they work to clear all that in a week. There's a continuing police presence at the scene to a) keep gawpers at bay, b) to maintain security of the scene of crime and c) to preserve and collect evidence. The fire service will visit the scene in order to collect evidence of their own in conjunction with the police. All that was there today were diggers, construction/demolition gear and police. They need to use the road as a working area, that's why inbound Hinckley Road is still closed. The wrecked and demolished buildings will need clearing which will involve a lot of plant moving in and out.

Incidentally, I was wondering... the responsibility for clearing the rubble, making adjacent buildings safe etc. will probably fall to the city council. Will they then make a claim against the landlords/owners insurance to reclaim the costs?

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

Have you seen the extent of the damage? No way could they work to clear all that in a week. There's a continuing police presence at the scene to a) keep gawpers at bay, b) to maintain security of the scene of crime and c) to preserve and collect evidence. The fire service will visit the scene in order to collect evidence of their own in conjunction with the police. All that was there today were diggers, construction/demolition gear and police. They need to use the road as a working area, that's why inbound Hinckley Road is still closed. The wrecked and demolished buildings will need clearing which will involve a lot of plant moving in and out.

Incidentally, I was wondering... the responsibility for clearing the rubble, making adjacent buildings safe etc. will probably fall to the city council. Will they then make a claim against the landlords/owners insurance to reclaim the costs?

Don't think any insurance will cover you for what he is accused of.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

I find it odd the person in hospital still hasn’t been named...

It is one of the strangest and most tragic events I can remember in this city. Even what we know now is pretty grim.

I think the reasons for this management of information will almost certainly become apparent, in time.

On 09/03/2018 at 23:31, F1_AN said:

I find it odd the person in hospital still hasn’t been named...

My wife used to be a press officer for the police. 

She said they would never name this person as they are still alive and may not want to be named. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After looking at it lying around for a few days, I picked up our copy of the Western Park Gazette. I only really look at it for the Police report normally, because I'm nosy. :)

Obviously there was only going to be one story on the front page, and 2 short articles inside, which highlighted the community rallying round to support the emergency services, who were under a great deal of pressure during the early hours of the response to this tragic event. I'm sure there will have been many others involved, but the ones mentioned in the article are the only details I have.

-----------

So hats off to Tammy Hill of the Crows Nest pub for tea, coffee and food, and the offer of the use of her pub overnight, for those evacuated.

Another honorable mention to a group called the Rapid Relief Team, who appear to be some kind of international christian organisation. I'm not a man of faith myself, but I have great respect for those who actually get organised, and support others in difficult times.

The only other group mentioned were the Midland Langar Seva Society, which is a Sikh registered charity who are active in feeding the homeless throughout the midlands. Whilst hot-headed allegations about immigrants were being bandied about on social media, and on the comments sections of some of our national press, parts of our immigrant communities were responding with direct action to support the West End.

Local supermarkets and takeaways were also mentioned as bringing supplies to officers, and again these will often be people from the many different communities. A superintendent is quoted as saying the emergency responders were 'humbled' and 'incredibly grateful'.

------------

Liberals like myself are often accused on FT of lacking in patriotism, but these are the kind of people that do make me proud to be English. A rainbow coalition providing support for our hard-pressed emergency services as they deal with harrowing events in our highly mixed community. Having said that, their background, and the background of the West End community is not (imho) the defining factor in this story, because I'm sure there were plenty of good people of all communities doing there bit.  For me,  the defining factor is the actions of ordinary Leicester people when they saw a community need on their doorstep. These people are  local heroes.

Are there any other local heroes who deserve a name check, in the aftermath of this tragic event?

Edited by Vardinio'sCat
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 07/03/2022 at 16:07, Bum Scissors said:

Disgraceful, sad and a new ugly blight on the way into the city. I imagine it's down to insurance wrangling. If it was even insured in the first place.