Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Explosion on Hinckley Road

Three people have been charged in connection with the Leicester explosion which killed five people.

The men have been charged with five counts of manslaughter and with arson with intent to danger life following the blast in Hinckley Road last Sunday, which also injured a number of people.

Leicestershire Police named the men as Aram Kurd, 33, from Leicester, 32-year-old Hawkar Hassan, of Coventry, and Arkan Ali, 37, from Oldham.

They are being held in custody over the weekend and will appear before Leicester Magistrates on Monday.

Kurd is the shopkeeper whose premises was destroyed in the blast.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shopkeeper-among-three-people-charged-12121043

10 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

Is booze too expensive in this country then? I'm sure you can get a bottle of Glenn's for about a tenner!

A lot of that goes to the taxman. You can sell fake Smirnoff and keep the lot.

47 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think I saw late last night on the news something about an 'illegal home-made distillery' or something of that nature?

That was the rumour in the immediate aftermath that has been picked up by some news outlets. Doesn't seem to fit the reasons for the arrests or the charges though.

It'll all come out at the trial

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

A lot of that goes to the taxman. You can sell fake Smirnoff and keep the lot.

I get that Webbo, but how much would you have to produce to make that worthwhile after costs? Seems like a lot of aggro to me and now with the inevitable prison sentence that would follow with just defrauding HMRC, nevermind the added manslaughter of 5 people!!

58 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

I get that Webbo, but how much would you have to produce to make that worthwhile after costs? Seems like a lot of aggro to me and now with the inevitable prison sentence that would follow with just defrauding HMRC, nevermind the added manslaughter of 5 people!!

This was my first thought when I heard. I just sort of scoff laughed and raised an eyebrow, like, this isn't 1920s New York. Surely it can't be all that profitable or common? 

I dunno, maybe I'm completely naive. Just seems a totally foolish thing to do. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This was my first thought when I heard. I just sort of scoff laughed and raised an eyebrow, like, this isn't 1920s New York. Surely it can't be all that profitable or common? 

I dunno, maybe I'm completely naive. Just seems a totally foolish thing to do. 

I’ve have a few Polish colleagues and they won’t drink Russian Vodka, they say Polish Vodka is far superior. If this was a Polish foods shop, I’d imagine a Polish shop owner would want to sell a traditional Polish vodka but perhaps found importing it along with British duty would mean zero profit. According to reports that basement was the same size as the shop and the store room, now that has the potential for a big distillery. So It possible to stock more than just his own shop, maybe one in Coventry and one in Birmingham too.

I don’t know what it is that makes Polish Vodka different but that might have been some of the motivation.

Edited by Strokes

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

I’ve have a few Polish colleagues and they won’t drink Russian Vodka, they say Polish Vodka is far superior. If this was a Polish foods shop, I’d imagine a Polish shop owner would want to sell a traditional Polish vodka but perhaps found importing it along with British duty would mean zero profit. According to reports that basement was the same size as the shop and the store room, now that has the potential for a big distillery. So It possible to stock more than just his own shop, maybe one in Coventry and one in Birmingham too.

I don’t know what it is that makes Polish Vodka different but that might have been some of the motivation.

I think it’s something to do with it being about 160% proof

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

But shit load of polish produce just gets lumped over in vans owned by someone's mate. Fags, booze, food, etc. I'd have thought it's not even that expensive to import the shit. 

And if their customers are so discerning with their vodka you'd expect them to recognise bathtub brew.

40 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But shit load of polish produce just gets lumped over in vans owned by someone's mate. Fags, booze, food, etc. I'd have thought it's not even that expensive to import the shit. 

And if their customers are so discerning with their vodka you'd expect them to recognise bathtub brew.

Fair point, it was just an observation I’d picked up. Maybe I’ll just them what they think to it.

4 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Can’t argue with that, loved the vodka over in Krakow.

Did you try the bull-grass vodka, which includes a couple of blades of grass that has been pissed on by a bull, in the bottle "to add flavour"?

Krakow is a beautiful city. That main square with the trumpeter in the church tower and the market indoors. I loved it.

21 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Did you try the bull-grass vodka, which includes a couple of blades of grass that has been pissed on by a bull, in the bottle "to add flavour"?

Krakow is a beautiful city. That main square with the trumpeter in the church tower and the market indoors. I loved it.

Nope no pissy vodka passed my lips. Got pretty wasted every day I was there though and that isn’t like me lol.

Like you say great city.

56 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

According to the mercury “it looks like Petrol fuelled the fire”. 

I saw that too.

I don't think the thought that this could have stemmed from a deliberate act crossed anyone's minds in the immediate aftermath.

As if it wasn't bad enough for the survivors and the victims' families as it was

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I saw that too.

I don't think the thought that this could have stemmed from a deliberate act crossed anyone's minds in the immediate aftermath.

As if it wasn't bad enough for the survivors and the victims' families as it was

Could have been stored petrol, but I think it was something a bit more powerful than petrol to blow the shop up like it did, propane cylinder maybe.

I think there is a lot more to this than we are being told, went by yesterday and a fire engine was just pulling up at the scene, if it was a gas explosion or an illegal vodka still, I think it would all be cleared up by now and the road re opened but there are still police on site as of yesterday.

• Like 1