Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Explosion on Hinckley Road

Guest MattP
32 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

There's no such thing as actual journalism anymore. It's what I wanted to do as a kid, tragic right. I wanted to be an investigative journalist. 

There is, you just have to seek it out.

From all sides good publications are actually bucking the trend of most of the press and increasing in circulation, Private Eye, The Times, The Spectator and The New Statesman are all really good reads full of high quality and/or investigative journalism with increasing sales.

Part of the problem now is the free media, that's what had downgraded standards as they need the clickbait to gain finance from advertisement, if people are prepared to pay for good quality journalism they will get it.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

There is, you just have to seek it out.

From all sides good publications are actually bucking the trend of most of the press and increasing in circulation, Private Eye, The Times, The Spectator and The New Statesman are all really good reads full of high quality and/or investigative journalism with increasing sales.

Part of the problem now is the free media, that's what had downgraded standards as they need the clickbait to gain finance from advertisement, if people are prepared to pay for good quality journalism they will get it.

Worth noting a decent number of Yank papers have had a circulation boost since Trump got in too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Easy to dismiss 'no more actual journalism' - look at Daniel Taylor and the Barry Bentall case or The Times and their Child sex rings they investigated. 

There's a time though when this was reasonably normal, though, not just exception. 

These days, the vast majority of papers are put together with rehashed copy done by graduate journos that don't leave the office. That's the reality for the vast majority of new journalists. 

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

There's a time though when this was reasonably normal, though, not just exception. 

I see your point on journalism in general but print journalism has roughly always been the same in the pattern of what it produces. The Sun is the biggest selling newspaper in the country and it has always been written as though authored by 12 year old. Similarly a lot of papers have always preferred a scandal gossip story to that of a real investigative piece. That's never really changed in the daily, national printed paper. 

There's more abuse of graduate journalists yes (which sees them employed on the website trying to get easy links) but on the likes of Guardian, Telegraph and Times in print are still word heavy. It's forgotten how much detail those papers report on international news towards the back pages. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

35 minutes ago, Buce said:

lol

Must be true then.

I'd say it's pretty likely there was evidence of a vodka distillery at least. That's what I've been told and the guy doesn't usually play WUM. Obviously it can't be reported by the police since they would still need evidence to the root cause, even if they have evidence of a distillery, that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't dave playing with a firework that caused the explosion. 

3 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I'd say it's pretty likely there was evidence of a vodka distillery at least. That's what I've been told and the guy doesn't usually play WUM. Obviously it can't be reported by the police since they would still need evidence to the root cause, even if they have evidence of a distillery, that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't dave playing with a firework that caused the explosion. 

I'm not doubting it, mate - I was just laughing at the thought of the word on the street being taken as any kind of evidence.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
21 minutes ago, Buce said:

I'm not doubting it, mate - I was just laughing at the thought of the word on the street being taken as any kind of evidence.

Unfortunately it happens all the time now. Remember all the accusations from people after Grenfell that the government and the police were covering up the actual death toll? All based on "word on the street" from people claiming to know, all complete bollocks of course and the final figure came in ever lower.

An elected MP, David Lammy, even went onto the television and argued it based on "what he had heard" - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-40672349/david-lammy-and-andrew-neil-on-tower-block-death-claims

Edited by MattP

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Sadly, selling advertising by clicks is more than lucrative enough to fund out of court settlements against people who cannot afford decent lawyers if it turns out to be bollocks.

This.

Papers like the Mail know they can print innuendo of this type to appeal to their reader base pretty much freely because the punishment they get is more than offset by the revenue they pull in anyway and a retraction on page 12 doesn't do much to negate a front-page headline in the eyes of the public.

9 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

2 more arrested on conspiracy to cause an explosion according to the beeb.

That would seem to rule out it just being a still accidentally igniting.

Edited by Buce

36 minutes ago, Buce said:

That would seem to rule out it just being a still accidentally igniting.

Yes, but unfortunately that also means the idiots online are putting 2+2 and getting 83797435.

Conspiracy to cause an explosion is not necessarily terrorism (I'm not saying you're inferring that, Buce, just many corners of the internet now are). It can be making a bomb to destroy an ATM, get into a building. Unfortunately and unavoidably this has set pulses racing for those desperate for it to be a terrorist-related crime.

8 hours ago, katieakita said:

This,

Have not really followed this that deeply but if this is down to human greed they deserve all that is coming to them. If it is wrongdoing as suggested, bad people come in any colour, creed or religion. Would rather see it reported than not even if it is the Mail, something is very wrong when you cannot publish something because it might upset a section of the community.

Stuff which exposes the great "we all love each other in our great multicultural city" has been swept under the rug in this town for many a year that i can tell you. All good if you believe in fairytales though

45 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's a new low even for the Daily Mail. 

Literally their "source" is a guy on Facebook posting a rumour. 

I mean it could well turn out to be true but come the **** on, at least wait until any even vaguely official source backs it up before printing that shit. 

Are you that ****ing desperate to be the first to break a story about an immigrant doing something illegal that you'll print Facebook rumours? 

Don't bother defending it, either, Webbo, given that you have literally asked foxestalkers not to do exactly the same thing and we're just a little scruffy forum, not a major national news outlet. 

Nail and head come to mind. 

31 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Odd but I guess we'll find out over time.

Before some aspects of society start foaming at the mouth, if it was terror related, they'd be arrested on terror charges, sounds like there's a lot to this whole story.

Awfully awfully sad.

Terrorists have been arrested on conspiracy to cause an explosion. 

What makes it interesting to me is that the two arrested today were also arrested on proceeds of crime, which makes it sound like they sold the explosives. 

What was the nature of the explosives, who bought them, and why.

Certainly don't sound like no vodka factory.

If this is too speculative webs then just delete, no problem.

2 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Terrorists have been arrested on conspiracy to cause an explosion. 

What makes it interesting to me is that the two arrested today were also arrested on proceeds of crime, which makes it sound like they sold the explosives. 

What was the nature of the explosives, who bought them, and why.

Certainly don't sound like no vodka factory.

If this is too speculative webs then just delete, no problem.

People who blow up atm's have faced similar charges.

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I know you probably aren’t implying this but did the shop have an ATM?

No idea.

Of course, the latest arrests may not have anything to do with the explosion - enquiries into it may have revealed other alleged offences.

Edited by Buce

18 minutes ago, Worthington said:

The 'conspiracy to cause an explosion' legislation can apply to all substances that singly, or together can lead to a violent combustion.

As for 'proceeds of crime'...With sufficient evidence this can be historic as well as ongoing..

A combination of the two wouldn't, by any means, negate the 'still' theory ! 

But it's conspiring to cause an explosion, not just possession of potentially explosive materials. Which seems to me as if there did exist something which was intended to explode. Also when you Google 'conspiracy to cause an explosion', in formal documents it's always followed with "likely to endanger life or cause serious damage to property". 

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/explosives