Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Winter break 2019/20 season

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

But the Premier League having a winter break doesn't have any downside and it's a good chance to let each team take it's players to some baking hot beach for a relax after the manic Christmas period. That's only going to be a good thing for both our national team and the sides competing in European competitions.

That may or may not be true, but if so why link it to helping the England team. Just say what it is I for one am fed up hearing their bullshit nonsense.

Also they have such big squads now why not use rotation to allow individual footballers go off for some baking hot beach for a relax.

This will do nothing to lessen the manic Christmas period one might argue it will make it worse.

9 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Yes 18 teams a fact the so called experts fail to mention when they hold up Germany as an example of how a winter break would work.Turkeys voting for Xmas though if we make the Premier League smaller.Only the top 6 would think that would be a good idea.

Germany also does not have a League Cup which frees up another 7 or so matchdays

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Germany also does not have a League Cup which frees up another 7 or so matchdays

Just completely off-topic - you going to see KFC Uerdingen in action should they be allowed in the 3. Liga next season?

Just now, Finnegan said:

You have more football participation than almost every other country, more professional clubs and academies than any other country, produce - I'm willing to bet - more professional footballers than any other country. 

Yet you've been a second rate team for almost literally your entire life, last being a serious contender in 1990 - not coincidentally before the Premier league. 

Don't give me "not that bad." (I'm obviously not claiming you're a Panama or Tunisia am I, everything is relative.)

As for the winter break, in this format? It's unnecessary but I don't have as much of an issue with it as I would have had it been at Christmas. Again though, it's not for the national team, it's for the big clubs and their assets. 

I expect England to get to the quarter final sort of stage. We've done that 3 times since Turin. Even ****ing Wales have gone further than us.

The current side isn't spectacular, but it's filled with a range of good, very good and world class players. It should be doing far better than it does.

I'd say that at the World Cup we should be finishing behind Germany, Spain, Argentina, Brazil, France, Belgium and - at a push - Portugal.

I'm not suggesting that a break will suddenly see us reaching semi-finals and finals. I'm saying that is can only help.

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I expect England to get to the quarter final sort of stage. We've done that 3 times since Turin. Even ****ing Wales have gone further than us.

The current side isn't spectacular, but it's filled with a range of good, very good and world class players. It should be doing far better than it does.

I'd say that at the World Cup we should be finishing behind Germany, Spain, Argentina, Brazil, France, Belgium and - at a push - Portugal.

I'm not suggesting that a break will suddenly see us reaching semi-finals and finals. I'm saying that is can only help.

Even if that were true it's along with all the other teams players so pretty much the status quo.

Let them have their rest but don't use the England team to justifying it.

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Even if that were true it's along with all the other teams players so pretty much the status quo.

Let them have their rest but don't use the England team to justifying it.

Why do you think it even needs justifying? The Christmas period is a mess, there are way too many games in such a short amount of time. Clubs need a rest.

This can only help the national side, the FA Cup and sides competing in Europe. Where is the downside?

It would help our national side more than others because every single English player at a good level plays in the Premier League. They're all knackered come the end of the season.

47 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Why do you think it even needs justifying? The Christmas period is a mess, there are way too many games in such a short amount of time. Clubs need a rest.

This can only help the national side, the FA Cup and sides competing in Europe. Where is the downside?

It would help our national side more than others because every single English player at a good level plays in the Premier League. They're all knackered come the end of the season.

Why are you asking me this I didn't but the PL & the FA obviously felt the need? Perhaps you'd better ask them.

Well the other changes, the creation of the PL, the reduction of the PL haven't. How does it help the FA Cup now relegated to a midweek game?

If anyone has ever read the book soccernomics there's a part in there that talks about winter breaks and how it does help recovery mid way through the season as the first half is always far more intense then the second half, and experienced managers also mention how the tiredness shows in English players more. It's an interesting concept and I think only a few weeks break isn't going to harm anyone, worth a go I say!

The winter break in some European countries (Poland and Czechia for example) is usually around two months, with a similar summer break. It's like having two separate seasons each year. Having a week off in January isn't going to be a complete disaster, and it's good that it's not ruining the traditional Christmas schedule.

2 hours ago, Asha said:

The winter break in some European countries (Poland and Czechia for example) is usually around two months, with a similar summer break. It's like having two separate seasons each year. Having a week off in January isn't going to be a complete disaster, and it's good that it's not ruining the traditional Christmas schedule.

Having three games in about 5 days is silly though. 

On 30 May 2018 at 10:05, davieG said:

They keep using the  improvement to the England team to justify all these changes such as the creation of the PL, the reduction in teams in the PL and now the 'winter' break and yet on the whole the England team has not improved.

It's typical of those that run the game, we all know what the problems are yet they beat about the bush because no one has the balls to tackle the issues dead on. 

On 31/05/2018 at 08:58, MC Prussian said:

Just completely off-topic - you going to see KFC Uerdingen in action should they be allowed in the 3. Liga next season?

All depends if there are any fixtures while i'm over there. They're really pushing to get up the divisions with an owner that is backing them. However, the stadium is very old and out dated. THat needs sorting first before they can push for 2.Liga or even Bundesliga.

Confirmed

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/08/winter-break-to-come-into-force-in-premier-league-england

Premier League winter break to come into force in 2019-20 season

• Fixture changes will lead to a 10-day break in February 
• Move is designed to help England at major tournaments

Martha Kelner

Fri 8 Jun 2018 12.01 BSTFirst published on Fri 8 Jun 2018 11.59 BST

From the 2019-20 season, top-flight sides will have a 10-day break during the same month. Photograph: Dave Thompson/PA

A winter break will come into force in the Premier League for a first time in the 2019-20 season in a move the Football Association believes will help England to succeed at future World Cups and European Championships.

The governing body has agreed to move the FA Cup fifth round to midweek and scrap replays, while one round of the Premier League will now be straddled over two weekends. The changes will accommodate a 10-day break in February and bring the Premier League into line with other leading divisions around Europe.

The FA has long fought for a mid-season break in the belief in will rejuvenate players, although the hectic Christmas and New Year fixture period, which is particularly attractive to broadcasters, will remain untouched.

“It has been talked about for years and there has not been the climate of collaboration there is now,” Martin Glenn, the FA chief executive, said. “It needed a strong FA to get it through, an FA that was financially in a better place and confident of its future revenue streams.

“I think you will see England players better rested for Euro 2020 and hopefully we will see that in their performance and continued improvement in the Champions League performance by English clubs.”

Glenn promised FA Cup third-round replays, which contribute hugely to the finances of lower league clubs through gate receipts, would be safeguarded. “We feel really strongly about never changing the third and fourth rounds,” he said. “A core essence of the Cup is the giant-killing. Interestingly, it’s what seems to be one of the reasons it is popular abroad. That won’t change.

The Fiver: sign up and get our daily football email.

“There are always traditionalists say you mustn’t change but the FA Cup has changed lots over its life. It used to have a two-legged final, it used to have finals that went to replays, there has been lots of evolution and you have to move with the times. This seems to be a reasonable trade-off.”

There is evidence to suggest a winter break – already in existence in Germany, Italy, France and Spain – would benefit players physically and mentally. A Uefa study published in 2013 indicated that a player is four times more likely to be injured in the final three months of the Premier League season than over the same period in other European leagues. It will also remove fatigue as mitigation for the England team underperforming at major tournaments.

“If you were to look at other countries that do it, their technical people say, it’s as much the mental break as the physical one,” Glenn said. “There is nothing as intense as an English Premier League season, with 38 games that all count for something. The hope is that players will be more mentally rested, which makes them fresher. From an England point of view they will hopefully go into end‑of‑season tournaments with a bit more verve and vim.”

The first break will happen in 2020 and will be trialled for the three years covering the new broadcasting rights deal. It will allow English players 10 days’ rest before the European Championship that summer, when Wembley will host seven matches, including the semi-finals and final. “Every England manager for the past 25 years has said ‘wouldn’t it be a good idea’ and it hasn’t been able to happen,” Glenn said.

The Football League, which has a 46-game season plus the play-offs to cram into a 10-month season, will continue without a winter break.

Shaun Harvey, the EFL chief executive, said: “It is currently impractical even if it was desirable for the EFL to introduce a similar break in our competitions. We will look to showcase the Sky Bet EFL during the two-week period.”

Topics

"Need a rest"!! We already play less league games than we used to in both League 1, the Championship, the old First Division and at the inception of the Premier League.

Pitches are now pristine and in top class order from from the ploughed fields of Filbert Street. The players, in general, are top athletes mostly in the prime of their lives and yet all we hear is about them being tired and needing a rest. My guess is that it is the weight in their back pockets which has become a burden to their physical fitness, hence, this suggestion. Heat and kitchen are two words that come to mind.

• Like 1

Some of the top players will still get paid an amount most of the hard-working general public won't be able to get in 5 years just to have a break from their profession for a week or two.

Can see some of the club's arranging friendlies in China etc just to cover the free week and try and get more global recognition etc.

Edited by Wymeswold fox