Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Winter break 2019/20 season

They keep using the  improvement to the England team to justify all these changes such as the creation of the PL, the reduction in teams in the PL and now the 'winter' break and yet on the whole the England team has not improved.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

They keep using the  improvement to the England team to justify all these changes such as the creation of the PL, the reduction in teams in the PL and now the 'winter' break and yet on the whole the England team has not improved.

The biggest improvement they could make is to invest some money in kids grass roots football. My U10 team have played about three games since Christmas due to waterlogged pitches. The general standard of pitches is poor unless a club as a willing volunteer to be groundsman. So whilst the PL teams are going to get time off, the kids who could be the players of the future aren't playing either and therefore not developing as players.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11389671/premier-league-winter-break-set-to-be-confirmed-in-next-fortnight

The Football Association is expected to confirm details of a Premier League winter break, starting in the 2019-2020 season, in the next fortnight, Sky Sports News understands.

The news comes after FA chief executive Martin Glenn confirmed to FA councillors for the first time that a two-week break was to be implemented.

The agreement with the Premier League, which is likely to be signed off next week, will mark the end of more than a decade of debate over giving top players recuperation time after the busy Christmas schedule.

The FA is expected to confirm details of a Premier League winter break
The FA is expected to confirm details of a Premier League winter break

In return for the boost to the national team, the FA has agreed to stage the fifth round of the FA Cup in midweek.

Glenn told councillors: "We're working closer and more collaboratively with the professional game than at any time in recent years.

"Very soon this will pay dividends with the creation of a mid-season break, which is a much-needed improvement for our clubs and England teams."

skysports-liverpool-everton_4323981.jpg?

The break for Premier League teams will be staggered over two weekends, with 10 teams playing one weekend and the other 10 the next weekend, allowing every club a two-week break from competition.

Sky Sports News understands that while no formal regulations will be put in place, clubs have agreed not to use the break as an opportunity for money-making tours abroad.

Teams will, however, be allowed to travel abroad for warm weather training.

Wow how fecking good are the premier league. They are going to book a winter break to miss all that snow we get. lol 

On 17/04/2018 at 13:26, Fox92 said:

Never been a fan of travelling over Christmas. If they have a break then I hope it's a break and not an excuse to fvck off to America.

At a guess l, They will still be games over Christmas, it’ll probably come into play the beginning of jan?

I'm amazed that so many of you are against this. I personally can't think of a single negative, aside from a weekend without the footie.

Edit; I've just realised that one week 10 teams will play and the other play the next 10 so there won't even be a weekend without the footie.

Edited by AKCJ
  • Like 1

Right idea, wrong execution.

Should be a 2 week break (I.e. one weekend without footy) after the Fa Cup 3rd round in its usual place.

Max 3 games between 23rd Dec and Jan 1st. Extra midweeks in August and September to cover any shortfall.

Edited by ealingfox

4 hours ago, davieG said:

And people laughably buy it.

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I also love how they use snow pictures to emphasise the point of a winter break. However, those pictures are from March.

I so hope it goes tits up. We lose games either side due to bad weather lol lol 

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 23:51, Bert said:

Someone will almost inevitably moan about the FA Cup being played midweek and therefore devalued. Not too sure on whether I'm keen or not on it, I'm just glad it's not gonna be around christmas time. 

Why not moan about the FA cup it's special it's ours. No one else cares about cups like we do. 3rd round was a bumper day years ago however clubs where doing.

Harlow many years ago who seen it coming. Money has ruined our game. Money has fvcked up a great competition.

I take it you happy with that. One thing that makes this country special is tradition. Just like bottle kicking and cheese rolling.

But hey sell the fecking lot off to money.

• Like 1

I think it's a good thing. I remember the Middlesborough game away when we won the league, both teams had second string teams out, due to the fixture congestion. Remember Ulloa being up top on his own and it was a bloody awful 0-0.

On 17/04/2018 at 06:58, stripeyfox said:

A winter break is just speading the same amount of games out over two periods. The problem is too many games. Reduce the PL to 18 teams would be a solution but I doubt they'd go for that.

Yes 18 teams a fact the so called experts fail to mention when they hold up Germany as an example of how a winter break would work.Turkeys voting for Xmas though if we make the Premier League smaller.Only the top 6 would think that would be a good idea.

22 hours ago, davieG said:

That's because the England team isn't rubbish because of fatigue, it's rubbish cos your players are shit. 

The Premier league is responsible for that but not the scheduling. 

This is about nothing but money. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

That's because the England team isn't rubbish because of fatigue, it's rubbish cos your players are shit. 

The Premier league is responsible for that but not the scheduling. 

This is about nothing but money. 

They're quite clearly not that bad.

The vast majority of them start for Champions League clubs. There is something evidently wrong when we're consistently knocked out in the group stages/rounds of 16 in every tournament.

Can you name one downside to this winter break?

Just now, AKCJ said:

The vast majority of them start for Champions League clubs. There is something evidently wrong when we're consistently knocked out in the group stages/rounds of 16 in every tournament.

Probably because very few if any are creative because despite all the money the Academies aren't producing them or if they are they don't get a look in as these are mostly bought in from abroad.

We seem to be totally focused on producing defenders, defensive midfielders and fast forwards/wingers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davieG said:

Probably because very few if any are creative because despite all the money the Academies aren't producing them or if they are they don't get a look in as these are mostly bought in from abroad.

We seem to be totally focused on producing defenders, defensive midfielders and fast forwards/wingers.

But the Premier League having a winter break doesn't have any downside and it's a good chance to let each team take it's players to some baking hot beach for a relax after the manic Christmas period. That's only going to be a good thing for both our national team and the sides competing in European competitions.

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

You have more football participation than almost every other country, more professional clubs and academies than any other country, produce - I'm willing to bet - more professional footballers than any other country. 

Yet you've been a second rate team for almost literally your entire life, last being a serious contender in 1990 - not coincidentally before the Premier league. 

Don't give me "not that bad." (I'm obviously not claiming you're a Panama or Tunisia am I, everything is relative.)

As for the winter break, in this format? It's unnecessary but I don't have as much of an issue with it as I would have had it been at Christmas. Again though, it's not for the national team, it's for the big clubs and their assets.