Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Winter break 2019/20 season

Someone will almost inevitably moan about the FA Cup being played midweek and therefore devalued. Not too sure on whether I'm keen or not on it, I'm just glad it's not gonna be around christmas time. 

49 minutes ago, Donut said:

I still think the best solution is to utilise midweek nights at the very beginning and very end of the season, much like our game with Arsenal in nice conditions on warmer nights, and then thin out the Christmas schedule.

I think those two things in combination would negate the need for a break, but just provide adequate spacing between the games.

Depending on how the dates fall at christmas, say boxing day fell on a tuesday. Theres no need to play saturday, boxing day tuesday, saturday again, then new years day. just thin it out.

In that scenario, whats wrong with just boxing day and new years day? or space them out....saturday, then boxing day off and play on wednesday night instead, or even the thursday night, and then New years day and have the saturday off.

Ideally you would save two games, play one the first midweek of season, play the other one last midweek of the season.

Agreed. In the Premier League there's hardly any midweek games, they all seem to come at the end of the season due to fixture congestion. All they need to do is have a couple of midweek games in September/October time and then we'll be sorted. 

5 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Agreed. In the Premier League there's hardly any midweek games, they all seem to come at the end of the season due to fixture congestion. All they need to do is have a couple of midweek games in September/October time and then we'll be sorted. 

Once European fixtures begin, how many free weeks are there in sept/Oct? 

I think I'm actually kinda militantly opposed to a winter break. I hate Christmas, the football is one of the only things I really look forward to. They're in an entertainment industry, they work for us, they should work when the demand is. 

Just rich clubs wanting a break to rest their darling little assets. 

It's one of the few issues that turns me in to some Daily Mail reader shouting about foreigners as well because its always Kopp and Guardiola banging on about it. 

But nobody ever forced them to come and manage in English football. Nothing to stop them working in leagues that don't have traditional boxing day and new years day fixtures. 

Only thing I accept is a bit stupid is when boxing day is on a Thursday or a Monday and they still insist on playing the Saturday anyway. You could move that fixture to a mid week somewhere. 

Otherwise **** off and leave it alone. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, STEVIE B said:

Clubs will just fly off somewhere, America, Far East, etc to make a few quid, then moan they haven’t rested properly ( like pre-season ). It will probably get the nod though.

Nail on the head...

if they implement a winter break for the benefit of the national team, and the national team are still crap!. what then! because they won't be able to use the 'tired' excuse. we all know clubs will just jet off to the far east or wherever to whoever will pay the most money for lucrative games!.

The winter break is one of the worst ideas I've heard and it's everything wrong with football. Managers making excuses being used as an excuse to pause the season, clutter the fixture list elsewhere and allow the top clubs to go and play friendlies with each other eight thousand miles away.

Utter nonsense of an idea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boots60 said:

Generally, I am a traditionalist in most areas of sport & indeed, life.

BUT

In the USA, outdoor sports are summer based while indoor sports are winter. Not rocket science really.

The sooner that happens here & in Europe, the better,

Er, NFL is a winter sport...

Anyway, this is just yet more pandering to the teams at the top who are actually best able to cope with fixture backlogs so they can piss off and flog shirts round the world for a couple of weeks. Once this excuse for "tiredeness" turns out to be bollocks, they'll start blaming the Cups, then the number of teams in the division, then whatever else they can think of.

• Like 2

Can everyone catch up to speed before moaning that we'll lose football over Christmas - the proposed Winter break is a staggered break in January, with each team taking two weeks off. The longest you'll be without Premier League football between December-February (other than scheduled internationals) is one week.

Edited by Yes N'Didi

• 1 month later...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11389671/premier-league-winter-break-set-to-be-confirmed-in-next-fortnight

The Football Association is expected to confirm details of a Premier League winter break, starting in the 2019-2020 season, in the next fortnight, Sky Sports News understands.

The news comes after FA chief executive Martin Glenn confirmed to FA councillors for the first time that a two-week break was to be implemented.

The agreement with the Premier League, which is likely to be signed off next week, will mark the end of more than a decade of debate over giving top players recuperation time after the busy Christmas schedule.

The FA is expected to confirm details of a Premier League winter break
The FA is expected to confirm details of a Premier League winter break

In return for the boost to the national team, the FA has agreed to stage the fifth round of the FA Cup in midweek.

Glenn told councillors: "We're working closer and more collaboratively with the professional game than at any time in recent years.

"Very soon this will pay dividends with the creation of a mid-season break, which is a much-needed improvement for our clubs and England teams."

skysports-liverpool-everton_4323981.jpg?

The break for Premier League teams will be staggered over two weekends, with 10 teams playing one weekend and the other 10 the next weekend, allowing every club a two-week break from competition.

Sky Sports News understands that while no formal regulations will be put in place, clubs have agreed not to use the break as an opportunity for money-making tours abroad.

Teams will, however, be allowed to travel abroad for warm weather training.