Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sharpe's Fox

Favourite type of dog

What’s your fav?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What’s you favourite

• Toy dog. Yorkshire Terrier, Pug ect
    • Scenthounds. Beagles ect
    • Sighthounds. Greyhounds ect.
    • Retrievers. Golden, Labrador ect
    • Spaniels. Cocker, Springer ect
    • Terriers. Jack Russell ect
    • Large working dogs. Great Dane, Boxer ect
    • Sheepdogs. Border Collie ect.
    • Bulldogs. English, American ect.
    • Poodles. Toy, Miniature ect
    • Huskies. Malamutes ect
    • Staffies and Pitbulls
    • Crossbreeds
    • Other
    • Nigel Pearson
    • German Shepherds
    • Peawet

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

This always has myself and Mrs Col in stitches. Though it does help if you’re pug lovers...

?

I’ve got a couple of vet mates and they are really heavily against Pugs because they are bred in a fashion that causes them untold breathing problems - especially when they eat they can’t breathe and their general make-up is perceived as a rather cruel breeding - when they get started talking about it they really are quite anti-pug! I myself prefer bigger mutts. I’m not having a go at all here but I’d be interested to hear an owners take on them.

8 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I’ve got a couple of vet mates and they are really heavily against Pugs because they are bred in a fashion that causes them untold breathing problems - especially when they eat they can’t breathe and their general make-up is perceived as a rather cruel breeding - when they get started talking about it they really are quite anti-pug! I myself prefer bigger mutts. I’m not having a go at all here but I’d be interested to hear an owners take on them.

They are utterly beautiful Nick. My wife has researched how to best look after them and what to look out for. Eg. They don’t release heat by panting, like most breeds, but by sweating. So we’ve learnt to only walk them short distances in hot weather and always to take water. We keep their weight down with the right food and clean their eyes and folds regularly.

Theres loads more I could bore you with. Suffice it to say they are funny, sweet, loyal and so friendly. We adore them.

I’m sure if you asked them whether they are happy they’d say they were. Short snouts an all.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Keep the dogs pics coming.

Q for the dog owners - what sort of lifestyle to guys have to maintain a dog? Work near home etc or otherwise? Would love a dog but not being about for about 12 hrs a day would make it unfair to own one unfortunately.

58 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

They are utterly beautiful Nick. My wife has researched how to best look after them and what to look out for. Eg. They don’t release heat by panting, like most breeds, but by sweating. So we’ve learnt to only walk them short distances in hot weather and always to take water. We keep their weight down with the right food and clean their eyes and folds regularly.

Theres loads more I could bore you with. Suffice it to say they are funny, sweet, loyal and so friendly. We adore them.

I’m sure if you asked them whether they are happy they’d say they were. Short snouts an all.

Hi mate just wanna say although I agree with Swanny it’s good you’ve thought about the problems the breed has and do your best to alleviate them for the animals welfare good on you :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nalis said:

Keep the dogs pics coming.

Q for the dog owners - what sort of lifestyle to guys have to maintain a dog? Work near home etc or otherwise? Would love a dog but not being about for about 12 hrs a day would make it unfair to own one unfortunately.

I work 5 days a week, monday-friday, the Mrs does part time shift work (4 days a week - different days every week), my mum works mon-wed so if there's ever a Thursday or Friday when me and the wife are both working, we take the dog to my mum's house. And on the rare occasions when my wife is working monday, Tuesday or Wednesday then I'm lucky enough to be allowed to take the dog to my office so she's never really alone.

IMG-20180411-WA0000.jpeg

• Thanks 1

What would people recommend for a good dog with kids, aged 7 & 4?

The Mrs grew up with dogs, she had a Labrador and then a Samoyed. I've never had one and she's been pushing to get one for years but I'd rather wait til the kids are older.Her mum has a Cockapoo which is nice but manic.

4 minutes ago, pds said:

The Mrs grew up with dogs, she had a Labrador and then a Samoyed. I've never had one and she's been pushing to get one for years but I'd rather wait til the kids are older.Her mum has a Cockapoo which is nice but manic.

I would say it would depend more on how much time you are able to spend with the dog, how much exercise you will give them etc and not just if they are good with kids.

Huskies are so chilled out at home but need a shit load of exercise, you and everything you own will be covered on hair and they are an absolute bitch on their leads.

Cockapoos are mental from my experience so I would say just do your research and see what comes up. Also, if you looked at rescue dogs you would know for sure how that dog is with kids.

30 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I would say it would depend more on how much time you are able to spend with the dog, how much exercise you will give them etc and not just if they are good with kids.

Huskies are so chilled out at home but need a shit load of exercise, you and everything you own will be covered on hair and they are an absolute bitch on their leads.

Cockapoos are mental from my experience so I would say just do your research and see what comes up. Also, if you looked at rescue dogs you would know for sure how that dog is with kids.

The Mrs is home all day most days looking after our youngest and even if she does go back to work it will only be part time. I love walking in any weather so no problem there.

We've spoken to a couple of rescue places (Huncote etc) but the response we tend to get is that they won't let the dogs go to homes with young children which is frustrating as I'd rather rescue.

49 minutes ago, pds said:

Labradors are fantastic with children. Mine is ultra careful around babies and toddlers, but happy to play with children slightly older. She knows not to playfight with kids - I've never taught her that, she just knows that it's possible she might hurt/startle them. She'll playfight with me plenty, always got marks over my arms!

5 hours ago, pds said:

Pugs. Fantastic with kids