Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Papy Mendy - coming back ?

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Tbf, massive respect to the football geniuses on here who can assess a player who hasnt even played. Wish i had those analytical skills

He made 4 or 5 appearances last season and then got shoved out on loan so it's obviously the staff at the time didn't rate him either.

5 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Tbf, massive respect to the football geniuses on here who can assess a player who hasnt even played. Wish i had those analytical skills

Also, massive respect to the common football fan who has better knowledge of a player than numerous managers who have seen players in training every day but don’t pick them.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Proper Foxestalk mentality that people think Mendy hasn't been given enough time yet consistently criticize Silva even though he hasn't had enough time either.

You miss the point, people are right to say Silva needs more. Why people do it for one player and not others is beyond me. Mendy misses three passes in a game he was carrying an injury "we won't want him back", Silva misses endless passes "give him time".

Just now, Babylon said:

You miss the point, people are right to say Silva needs more. Why people do it for one player and not others is beyond me. Mendy misses three passes in a game he was carrying an injury "we won't want him back", Silva misses endless passes "give him time".

Most of Silva's stuff goes forward though. If we had a clinical finisher then Silva would have about 5 assists already now.

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

Also, massive respect to the common football fan who has better knowledge of a player than numerous managers who have seen players in training every day but don’t pick them.

The player was constantly injured under the manager that signed him. Plus he'll never fit a 442, so no point in keeping him under CS. If Puel wants to shift formation then he might be worth a look.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

The player was constantly injured under the manager that signed him. Plus he'll never fit a 442, so no point in keeping him under CS. If Puel wants to shift formation then he might be worth a look.

Cool, what about at Nice this season?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

He made 4 or 5 appearances last season and then got shoved out on loan so it's obviously the staff at the time didn't rate him either.

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

He might not be a fit, might not work. Maybe he is rubbish in training

Who knows

But judging him on one game against Milwall in an injury blighted season and all the disruption...

In truth i have no idea what he's capable of based on what we've seen with us and neither does anyone else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Silva is an attacking CM, Mendy isn't so it's a pointless comparison.

Don't compare giving the ball away then. An attacking midfielder is bound to give the ball away more because he tries more. Players like Mendy/King/James constantly pass the ball backwards and sideways.

Edited by Fox92

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Don't compare giving the ball away then. An attacking midfielder is bound to give the ball away more because he tries more. Players like Mendy/King/James constantly pass the ball backwards and sideways.

Well for starters Silva didn't give the ball away playing adventurous forward passes most of the time, they are unforced easy passes that he keeps kicking straight into touch. Secondly, the game under discussion for Mendy is the Millwall game where Mendy played the vast majority of his passes forward, as already stated.

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

He’s rubbish babs just let it go. If he isn’t rubbish then he’s injured.

So rubbish that people who watched a huge amount of French football suggested he had a lot of talent and was a very good player when we signed him?

I said from day one I didn't see how he would fit in our system and I still maintain that. But a couple of games and a season out injured is proof of nothing.

Just now, Babylon said:

So rubbish that people who watched a huge amount of French football suggested he had a lot of talent and was a very good player when we signed him?

I said from day one I didn't see how he would fit in our system and I still maintain that. But a couple of games and a season out injured is proof of nothing.

People literally thought Musa, Kapustka, Hernandez, RRZ etc were good signings as well.

27 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

People literally thought Musa, Kapustka, Hernandez, RRZ etc were good signings as well.

After pulling of the greatest sporting achievement of all time, we all thought the scouting team could do no wrong! I'll happily put my hand up and say I was optimistic about those players. :sweating:

I did remember at the time that many pundits across Europe where "surprised" by Leicester's signings, which I think was a polite way of saying "these players are terrible, but maybe Leicester know something we don't, seeing as they spent less than 10M combined for Vardy / Mahrez / Kante and just made the rest of the Premier League look like idiots."

That summer was awful in terms of recruitment and in my mind cost Ranieri his job. Imagine if we had signed Ndidi, Maguire, Iborra instead of the rubbish we did sign? I know Maguire wasn't as experienced then, but I still think he would have done much better than the players we did sign. Ndidi came in just 6 months later and was good for us from the very outset. Slimani I have always thought did a decent job but was a signing we never needed to make in the first place.

One thing I will give the scouting team credit for though is that we did put in a bid for Ousmane Demble who is now at Barcelona, with Ranieri himself calling him up to try and bag him. Unfortunately that one didn't happen.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MattP said:

Yeah, the "water carrier" player that suddenly became fashionable after Didier Deschamps in the holding role, that sort of thing should have died out in 1999, it was taken to the next level by players like Makelele, Redondo, Vieira and Cattermole :blink:(sorry Col) and more recently Busquets, Fernandinho and Kante. Guys that do all of that and are high energy, good tacklers and can also press the ball for 90 minutes, that guy who just spreads around a few simple passes and little else isn't enough anymore.

Football has moved on from then and is certainly has in a high tempo league like ours, you can only get away with it if your talent is outrageous like a Xavi or a Pirlo, and Papy Mendy isn't going to be that.

Correct. 

Glad you mention 1999, that’s what our current style reminds me of 1990s euro football. 

Puel’s style has been and gone a long time ago I believe.