Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Papy Mendy - coming back ?

4 minutes ago, bald reynard said:

As Claude seems to be a big fan, what are the chances of him coming back in the Summer ?  He hasn't pulled up the daisies this season on loan at Nice.

I wouldn't spit the dummy out if Puel wanted to give him chance next season. But from what we saw of him in 16/17 I don't hold much hope he'll be much better than average.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 1

Guest MattP

Wouldn't surprise me, I suppose Puel might get something out of him.

He looked very average though from what I've seen so far. 

Guest MattP
29 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Still can't get that shocker he had against Millwall out of my head. Duffing attempted 50 yard crossfield balls straight to Millwall players 10 yards infront of him.

Three times in about five minutes at one point, was unbelievable.

He was really, really unlucky to get injured so early in the season - 54 minutes into his sodding debut! IMO that is part of what destabilised our entire season; his return then coincided with a drop in everyone's form and a general malaise around the club. Then Wilf arrived and made himself integral to the team.

Puel seems to like him so it might be good to have him in the squad. Who knows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Fake News: Had the second best pass success rate on the pitch (and no they weren't all backwards 64 of 85 forwards), the second most tackles in our team, and only lost possession once.

As Matt pointed out, he had two or three slopping passes in a short spell (some of which were recovered), in between playing not too badly, he was nowhere near our worst player that day. That was ignored though and he got absolutely slated because all people wanted to focus on was a couple of sloppy passes.

I've seen comments like "Mendy is shocking. AtMillwall last week I've never seen a player give it away so consistently." (an actual comment) about the man with the best passing percentages on the pitch.

Nobody comes out of that game with any credit, but I sat through that game twice because I was so pissed off with the slating he was getting, and he was nothing like what people make out.

He genuinely played that same pass 3x in a row and gave it to them every time.

I didn’t say he was any worse than other players but he was shit mate.

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Fake News: Had the second best pass success rate on the pitch (and no they weren't all backwards 64 of 85 forwards), the second most tackles in our team, and only lost possession once.

As Matt pointed out, he had two or three slopping passes in a short spell (some of which were recovered), in between playing not too badly, he was nowhere near our worst player that day. That was ignored though and he got absolutely slated because all people wanted to focus on was a couple of sloppy passes.

I've seen comments like "Mendy is shocking. AtMillwall last week I've never seen a player give it away so consistently." (an actual comment) about the man with the best passing percentages on the pitch.

Nobody comes out of that game with any credit, but I sat through that game twice because I was so pissed off with the slating he was getting, and he was nothing like what people make out.

And because you're a masochist?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

Slightly different players but I'm not convinced him and Wilf would work in midfield together, with or without another. Could only see him as a benchwarmer here.

He's not the octopus that Wilf & Kante is/was, but he does those 10yard passes that just retain possession, passing from deep to a full back for eg who then passes back to you

This works absolutely great if you then look up to make longer passes forwards, but Puel obviously won't look up for the runners.

What we need is someone with a longer passing range like Garry Parker, or Cambiasso, but under the current management I'm not sure it will work

I quite liked the look of him from what little I saw. My biggest impression was that he wasn't quite up to the pace of the match, which I considered understandable, and that he was physically a bit of a light weight - but that doesn't disadvantage Kante so Mendy might be similarly ok. I'd certainly like to see him back in the fold just to get a better look. The poor bloke really didn't have the best of times with us the first time around. 

Edited by CarbonVirtine
  • Like 2

Had great stats before joining us and was cruelly unlucky with his injury.  None of us know whether he is good enough or not but it seems silly not to have a good look at him in pre-season ad give him a chance.  Once assessed he either becomes part of the team or we sell him on.  Either option is better than simply moving on because some people think he was sh1t against Millwall.  X

• Like 2