Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest seanfox778

UEFA Champions League 2018/19

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Man City's atmosphere is wank but I think it's hard to knock them for attendances when they share a city (not metropolitan area) of 545,000 with one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Greater Manchester is a metropolitan county in North West England, with a population of 2,798,800.

I agree to a certain extent but the overall population is massive and a club should fill their stadium for the opening game of the Champions League.

Just now, gurru991 said:

Greater Manchester is a metropolitan county in North West England, with a population of 2,798,800.

I agree to a certain extent but the overall population is massive and a club should fill their stadium for the opening game of the Champions League.

Of the places in Greater Manchester though Wigan, Stockport, Oldham and Bolton make up over a million of that figure. They're not huge teams but a limited amount of a city actually goes and supports a team so they've got a large but contested population to draw from. Given United have been the more successful Manchester club for probably 95% time it's not surprisingly they don't always pull in capacity crowds.

I quite like the fact that Man City don't suddenly fill a 50/60k seater stadium. They've basically been our size throughout their entire history, it's nice to see they're not full of plastic glory supporters over night. 

They get stick for the whole where were you when you were shit stuff but actually I've always gotten the impression that most of them were probably always there. I mean if Vichai was some oil trillionaire and suddenly we signed Griezman and Mbappe, I don't think we'd suddenly have 55k every week either. 

All of that said, being 18k under capacity on a champions league opening night having just won the title as one of the best teams of all time is ****ing pathetic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a shop they all go to to get these Lone Ranger face masks ? ...   just wondered in case I ever go fancy dress as a prem footballer ...   already have the PlayStation to carry under my arm and stopwatch to remind me to throw myself to the ground every 5 minutes ...

On 20/09/2018 at 19:30, gurru991 said:

Especially when they bang on a hell of a lot about all their fans actually being from Manchester. 

Entertaining game this one. Surely Man City win here, ever so dominant. 

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

Especially when they bang on a hell of a lot about all their fans actually being from Manchester. 

Hope not ...   would love to see the arrogant fookers dumped out  ..

1 minute ago, Bert said:

I'm pretty sure when they say that they're referring to The City of Manchester, which is why a few of them are glib about the fact United aren't even from the city, they're from Salford. 

It's all just semantics though. They attract the gates they do because they're a historically smaller club used to getting 20/30k gates, just like us. 

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm pretty sure when they say that they're referring to The City of Manchester, which is why a few of them are glib about the fact United aren't even from the city, they're from Salford. 

It's all just semantics though. They attract the gates they do because they're a historically smaller club used to getting 20/30k gates, just like us. 

which is why our supposed stadium extension is going to be horrendous. we’re gonna have a ground that big but with less glamourous games and even less fans. decent. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScouseFox said:

which is why our supposed stadium extension is going to be horrendous. we’re gonna have a ground that big but with less glamourous games and even less fans. decent. 

Mh, I dunno, they went up to 55 which is probably about double their biggest gates for the years before the takeover. That's a pretty huge upgrade. 

If we had a cost effective extra eight or so thousand seats to cap it off to 40 we'd probably mostly sell out and even when we didn't it probably wouldn't be too noticeable. 

Much more than that would be concerning though yeah. 

6 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Mh, I dunno, they went up to 55 which is probably about double their biggest gates for the years before the takeover. That's a pretty huge upgrade. 

If we had a cost effective extra eight or so thousand seats to cap it off to 40 we'd probably mostly sell out and even when we didn't it probably wouldn't be too noticeable. 

Much more than that would be concerning though yeah. 

Theres only one way to find out ...   42k sounds about right to me ..