Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest seanfox778

UEFA Champions League 2018/19

18 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Was having a think on the way into work. Say the final PL table finished: 

Man City

Liverpool

Chelsea

Spurs

Arsenal

And Arsenal then won the Europa league. 

Given winning the Europa league gets you qualification to next year's Champions League, would our 4th League qualification spot be re-assigned to the Europa winners? What I'm trying to say is, is there a chance of Spurs not getting CL football next year if they finish 4th and Arsenal win the Europa? 

All 5 would play CL football next season. 

Until the FA started using Wembley for FA Cup semi-finals, the venues for these matches were always decided upon after the teams involved had been determined. Shouldn't UEFA now consider introducing a similar policy for the finals of the CL and the EL? With climate change becoming an urgent problem and air travel being one of the main causes, this small step would be a welcome signal that the football world is taking this issue seriously. No doubt others will justify why the four English clubs involved in the two European finals are playing in Madrid and Baku, but I stand by my belief that these venues are bonkers. Pat Nevin referred to this matter yesterday, but for the more blinkered reason that it is expensive/inconvenient/impossible for fans wishing to travel to the games.  

12 hours ago, String fellow said:

Until the FA started using Wembley for FA Cup semi-finals, the venues for these matches were always decided upon after the teams involved had been determined. Shouldn't UEFA now consider introducing a similar policy for the finals of the CL and the EL? With climate change becoming an urgent problem and air travel being one of the main causes, this small step would be a welcome signal that the football world is taking this issue seriously. No doubt others will justify why the four English clubs involved in the two European finals are playing in Madrid and Baku, but I stand by my belief that these venues are bonkers. Pat Nevin referred to this matter yesterday, but for the more blinkered reason that it is expensive/inconvenient/impossible for fans wishing to travel to the games.  

The CL final is a massive event and I guess take more than a couple of weeks of planning for a city to put on. You can't suddenly say Barca and Munich are in the final so we'll play it Marsielle or Paris. The venues are chosen a couple of years in advance. Contracts are signed and sealed. Chelsea and Man United played in Moscow. Liverpool played Milan in Istanbul. It has always been this way. A few times in history a team has played at "home" in the final I think (Rome 1984?).

Bottom line, they don't give a shit about the "fans". As long as 70,000 pony up the cash for tickets (or sponsors etc), then UEFA don't give a toss. The stadium would be full if it was in London, Paris or Beijing or New York (not beyond the realms of possibility).

Thank you for your reply, which I can't argue with. However, there's a saying 'where there's a will, there's a way'. With nearly a month to prepare for the finals and with on-line ticketing available, they should be able to organise the events quickly enough, if they really had the will to do so. Clearly though, environmental concerns and the prospect of making life easier for fans of the clubs involved are secondary considerations when it comes to UEFA's thinking and planning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48347846

Where do you even start with this? You're a season ticket holder at a club who has reached the Champions League final for the first time, you get a much sought after ticket for the game then decide to try and get a bit more money for it, not go to possibly your club's biggest ever game and get banned from games in the process.

Honestly, what are people in it for?