Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxaholic  ME

Are our results so predictable we are boring

As a long time supporter I  have been used to beating the best and losing to the worst . Under various managers have lost to Harlow Grimsby Hartlepool Exeter Wycombe  and in all these seasons beat the top dogs.Even when we won the league we beat Villa in the last minute and drew away arguablly the 2nd worst team to play in the Premier. Even with the likes of Elvis Hammond an Defries we gave Spurs 2 start in the cup and still won.This season apart from Liverpool I think we are the only team not to have lost to anybody below us and havent beaten anybody above usalthough I suppose youcould include Fulham. Whilst many would settle for mid table security I would prefer the old way beat Man  C  and Liverpooland lose toHuddersfield and Cardiff  although I  know this is perverse  but getting beat by the only 2 shots on target and our goalie not making a save and getting clapped off is just as perverse

4 minutes ago, Foxaholic ME said:

Whilst many would settle for mid table security I would prefer the old way beat Man  C  and Liverpooland lose toHuddersfield and Cardiff  

We beat Tottenham and Arsenal at home last season yet lost to Crystal Palace and West Ham and that didn't stop the criticism after those games.

Losing to teams below us whilst beating a top team now and then isn't going to improve our position greatly.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Foxaholic ME said:

As a long time supporter I  have been used to beating the best and losing to the worst . Under various managers have lost to Harlow Grimsby Hartlepool Exeter Wycombe  and in all these seasons beat the top dogs.Even when we won the league we beat Villa in the last minute and drew away arguablly the 2nd worst team to play in the Premier. Even with the likes of Elvis Hammond an Defries we gave Spurs 2 start in the cup and still won.This season apart from Liverpool I think we are the only team not to have lost to anybody below us and havent beaten anybody above usalthough I suppose youcould include Fulham. Whilst many would settle for mid table security I would prefer the old way beat Man  C  and Liverpooland lose toHuddersfield and Cardiff  although I  know this is perverse  but getting beat by the only 2 shots on target and our goalie not making a save and getting clapped off is just as perverse

winning and losing the same amount of games would still have us in the same position, no? 

As @Corky alluded to, the same criticisms would still be applied by winning 1 and then losing 1. 

The ideal situation would be to get some momentum by winning a few on the bounce, regardless of opposition.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

winning and losing the same amount of games would still have us in the same position, no? 

As @Corky alluded to, the same criticisms would still be applied by winning 1 and then losing 1. 

The ideal situation would be to get some momentum by winning a few on the bounce, regardless of opposition.

i cant remember Martin Oneill getting much critisism when we lost at Grimsby and the critisismagainst Taylor after the horrendous Wycombe result was muted because we had beaten Liverpool just before  and in both cases no higher in the league than now

37 minutes ago, Foxaholic ME said:

i cant remember Martin Oneill getting much critisism when we lost at Grimsby and the critisismagainst Taylor after the horrendous Wycombe result was muted because we had beaten Liverpool just before  and in both cases no higher in the league than now

Probably because the internet, particularly message boards, wasn't really a thing then. Most of the shit Puel gets is on here, very little during the match

5 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Probably because the internet, particularly message boards, wasn't really a thing then. Most of the shit Puel gets is on here, very little during the match

Yep. O'Neill had some shocking individual results, fans will always complain about poor performances and defeats no matter who the manager is.

10 hours ago, Foxaholic ME said:

Its not just about whether we lose or win against a top team or a bottom team it's about out performance as well. If we lose 2-0 to spurs but played great, created loads of chances and made them work for the win then nobody would mind much. If we draw 1-1 at Fulham and again play really well but are unlucky then fine. The fact is, our performances have been utterly dreadful recently. Do I mind if we play bad and win? No. 3 points is 3 points in the prem. Ultimately I don't care if we lose to the top teams so long as we have a go and give them a tough game like we did against Liverpool and against Arsenal. I'd prefer us to show more consistency, especially at home, against the teams outside the top 6 (or 5 now as United are crap) and if we sneak a few points against the big boys then thats a bonus. Whilst I really enjoy us beating the top teams, it doesnt outweigh my annoyance and frustration when we lose at home to the likes of Palace! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Fair to say that he doesn't get any praise aimed directly at him either.

Even Taylor and Hollowhead had songs.

Even his biggest fan would have wondered what was happening on Sat losing and playing without a striker. Yes iheanacho is lazy and not (yet hopefully) up to it, we all realize this but he didn't pick himself and we lost 3 strikers without replacement.

All hope was lost when Ghezzil came on 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Even his biggest fan would have wondered what was happening on Sat losing and playing without a striker. Yes iheanacho is lazy and not (yet hopefully) up to it, we all realize this but he didn't pick himself and we lost 3 strikers without replacement.

Ghezzal had a shot or two and I saw him put in at least one cross that was better than any cross we'd put in all game

We know that we're a bit toothless in attack sometimes these days.  Hope was lost when we let in 2 very soft goals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

I definitely don't remember Holloway getting any sort of song. Taylor wouldn't surprise me, he did briefly have us top, but that would have stopped when we started to plummet

Guest bss9401

Look no further than 1980/81 under Wallace. We beat Liverpool home and away and Man U, Arsenal and Spurs at home. These were some of the most memorable wins during that era but we still got relegated. I went to all of those matches and they are precious memories. I wouldn't trade them for anything but the older and less wise me may have preferred that we had lost those games and stayed up.

Next season, provided that we stay up will potentially be a cracker. I am frustrated and puzzled by Puel's style and matchday decisions but the future is potentially bright. Lord help him, though if we get dragged into a relegation scrap this season.

On 10/12/2018 at 11:32, bss9401 said:

Look no further than 1980/81 under Wallace. We beat Liverpool home and away and Man U, Arsenal and Spurs at home. These were some of the most memorable wins during that era but we still got relegated. I went to all of those matches and they are precious memories. I wouldn't trade them for anything but the older and less wise me may have preferred that we had lost those games and stayed up.

Next season, provided that we stay up will potentially be a cracker. I am frustrated and puzzled by Puel's style and matchday decisions but the future is potentially bright. Lord help him, though if we get dragged into a relegation scrap this season.

Spot on

I don't think we are boring. Imo puel realises our limitations whilst also developing young players into the squad. As I've said before we don't have a quality indepth squad. I think there are times we look good and other times shit. I am quite happy to finish where we are now and hopefully build for next season. We are a mid table side that is inconsistent hence where we are in the league. I still think anyone else in charge would in a similar position. 

57 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

We are predictable now. We all know we will lose 2-0 away to Palace tomorrow and put in an abject performance. We all know we will beat Man City in the Cup midweek. It’s so Leicester.

We all know different things. Absolutely sick to death of being told what 'we' know.

• Like 1

Well it depends on your outlook, yes we are a bit predictable and boring but I have hope and I can see where we are trying to go.

Puel, if you actually listen to what he says often laments our inability to get the ball forward quick enough and is very aware of the poor form of Nacho. I'm sure he is as frustrated as we are about our play.

But this is a young team learning the game and each others strengths, abilities and movements and that takes time and the rebuilding of the team is not yet finished .

As for having limited options up front well we don't know the background story to that but Ulloa wanted to move on and based on recent reports who on earth would want Slimani back. We also don't know if or how they may have tried to recruit replacements but we do know how difficult it is to identify and get in quality players.

Like eveyone else I don't know whether Puel can take us up to Euro games level but I'm prepare to see how it develops based on the recruitment and what I perceive as the way we trying to play.

I guess the other predictable thing is the way fans react in that some will see good and hope and others will see bad and despair.

Whichever way you view it we really have no significant input into how the football side is run, unless there's a universal anti Puel protest, which at present I don't see he's here to stay until Top decides he needs to go. and that's the way it's always been.

Until then I'm backing the team and Puel.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

I don't think we are boring. Imo puel realises our limitations whilst also developing young players into the squad. As I've said before we don't have a quality indepth squad. I think there are times we look good and other times shit. I am quite happy to finish where we are now and hopefully build for next season. We are a mid table side that is inconsistent hence where we are in the league. I still think anyone else in charge would in a similar position. 

That encapsulates the main difference between being Puel in out out doesn't it? There's the uninspiring football accusation but that doesn't really separate the two camps, most probably agree with that to a certain extent, whichever side they are on. I don't tend to subscribe to the view that, had we given Spurs a hard game but still lost 2-0, peoples opinions would have been different. That strikes me as smoke and mirrors.

No one's totally satisfied at the moment, but if you're Puel in, you're likely to think he's doing alright with the squad of players he has, especially given the traumatic couple of months we've had as a club. If you're Puel out you believe that, despite the limited squad and the last couple of months, he should have accumulated more points and be a couple of places higher in the table. 

It's been said before but everything about us screams average at the moment. Despite the gnashing of teeth after the Spurs game, we're even 9th in the form table. We're just average, average, average. We're slap bang in the middle of most stats tables too.

The divide is really whether you're willing to put up with average this season to see whether the ground work and stability pays off in the long term. 

• Like 3