Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Claude Puel calls for a Leicester City reality check

When he talks about the recruitment of young players and developing them I hope this is a hint at our future transfer model (if it isn’t already) I’d much rather us buy younger players 20-24 than the likes of Slimani, Silva, Iborra, etc for big money, anyway I agree with everything he said there! Up the Puel 

• Like 1

We've been crying for stability for years now so hopefully Top doesn't bow to fan pressure and get rid. If you remember the 11/12 season we were in the same situation in that we were beginning to realise as the seasons gone on that the squad was not as good as we thought it was, which is why Puel's comments remind me of the 'delusions of grandeur' comments by Pearson.Hopefully we'll get rid of the deadwood in the summer and bring some young and hungry players in with a point to prove. Puel in.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

The owners went to the training ground and told the players they should be 7th, ask the players, ask any of the coaching staff.

This is confusing and clearly we changed strategy at some point but i dont understand exactly when.

And if we are where we are at in terms of finances why are we playing our strongest teams in the cups?

All feels quite middle of the road to me and that isnt exciting nor going to inspire fans to fill an expanded stadium.

Wording is very important though. ie. "We're falling short of expectations (7th) and think a change is needed." Is very different to say "we aren't 7th so we're sacking him". He wouldn't have been sacked if we'd been 10th, or 8th for example after such a short period of time, I can't believe that.

In terms of middle of the road, like I said in another post. It's hard to improve the infrastructure whilst paying for and aiming for high targets. They both cost money, so at the end of the day there is a balancing act that we all need to accept for a while. We could go all out for 7th (6th at a push if someone else implodes), buying high quality players etc... but we never move forward off the pitch and we're never in a position to grow.

For me, we're happy to finish top 10/11 as a club. We pay for the building works whilst trying to remain as competitive as possible. Once they are built and paid for, that's when balancing act tips the other way again. The aims become higher, we become a more attractive club, the club can show more ambition in the transfer market again to tie in with how ambitious we look off the pitch.

It's a difficult balance to strike, and I think everyone involved should get cut a bit of slack personally.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

The owners went to the training ground and told the players they should be 7th, ask the players, ask any of the coaching staff.

This is confusing and clearly we changed strategy at some point but i dont understand exactly when.

And if we are where we are at in terms of finances why are we playing our strongest teams in the cups?

All feels quite middle of the road to me and that isnt exciting nor going to inspire fans to fill an expanded stadium.

Did they ask for 7th pre or post helicopter crash? 

I have a target to hit at work for a bonus but as the year progresses, my director understands that there’s market pressures what change circumstances.

The Cups are worth absolutely **** all in finance. £135k we’d have won beating Newport. However if we get an additional televised games after 10 in the PL, you get a further £1.13 million per game.

To give you an idea to get that money in the FA Cup, you’ve gotta reach the Final. 

Are we struggling financially some seem to think we can just throw money at other clubs and take their manager, it doesn't work like that anymore. The reason we got Puel was that there were no other managers available at the time and because he was out of work we didn't need to pay compensation. People say we can't compete financially with the likes of Everton, West Ham and Wolves lets not forget Wolves have been investigated in 2018 for breaching FFP rules and as far as I know still are.

As for the Newport debacle he picked a team that should have been capable of beating them, but thet let him and the club down by not turning up on the day (Lets not forget that team was full of experience, not young players).

At least he has come out and said it how it is, surely it's not up to him to do that, once again a manager is being hung out to dry by some  of the backroom staff higher up then him, the same as Shakespere was over the Silva debacle.

9 hours ago, chapero82 said:

He’s also saying we can’t compete with Wolves and West Ham ffs It’s reminding me the Peter Taylor era 

he question is how can we perform at this club? Do we have the same possibilities and money as Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, or Everton, West Ham or Wolves? Do we have same possibilities? No,” said Puel

He is on about financially 

• Like 1

I'm not his greatest fan but agree he makes a lot of valid points here. Unfortunately for me it doesn't address my concerns about his team selections (for the cups especially), some of his substitutions and his tactics (or lack of) for breaking defensive teams down. Good that he is protective of the younger players though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Which as we know due to the bank loan and lack of liquid finance is a fantasy suggestion. 

Bournemouth have just paid £19miion and a right back on top dollar wages. His resources are similar. Add to that, he manages expectations at Bournemouth and can do no wrong. He’s likely to be the next England manager if he stays at Bournemouth

Its not fantasy, you asked a question about who I'd like. I agree it'd be tough to drag him away from Bournemouth but you asked. I didn't realise I had to pick from managers who are rubbish and available. I'm not even campaigning for him to go I just think his football is shit and needs changing up a bit. Take your crusade elsewhere buddy.

• Like 1

Good to see some personality from Puel finally. Talked a good game yesterday.

Doesn’t negate the fact that we’re horrendous at breaking down resolute teams we should be beating at home and that we’ve sacrificed some great opportunities in the cups.

Careful basing your justification on the fact we’re currently 7th, mind. This league’s so tight and we were down in 12th a couple of weeks ago. He better hope we don’t go on a bad run and slip back to that sort of position...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Its not fantasy, you asked a question about who I'd like. I agree it'd be tough to drag him away from Bournemouth but you asked. I didn't realise I had to pick from managers who are rubbish and available. I'm not even campaigning for him to go I just think his football is shit and needs changing up a bit. Take your crusade elsewhere buddy.

It’s fantasy. We don’t  have £12 million to pay for Eddie Howe. And Howe won’t leave Bournemouth.

You said anyone could do Puel’s job. But there’s very little candidates available to actually do that job. So we going about realistic changes or dreamland suggestions?

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

9 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

It about time some of our support understood this is a project and we have'nt got as much money as some think. 

For the first time in a while it seems like we have a plan.

I do wonder about funds. The King Power business is not inexhaustible, and the economic slowdown in Asia and uncertainty about their business concessions must have worried Vichai. Puel was part of his plan to consolidate by controlling salary costs to help fund the new training ground and stadium expansion. It is all part of a lonng term plan. 

The death of Vichai may well have had commercial cost to King Power as well as immense personal cost. Top may well be a bit financially overextended, until the business is sorted. 

Money was found for Ricardo and Maddison, as well as the Centrebacks, but we do have too many costly players who are not good enough for the first team, and probably unsettling the team atmosphere. 

Bringing forward young talent will mean mistakes and patchy performances. That is how we learn, but establishing Leicester as a place for talented twentysomethings rather than fading thirtysomethings is the way to go. 

Lets stick to the project, back the team and Puel. 

My brother is going to his first game this season and it’s very sad that I will have to warn him prior about the toxic atmosphere from some of our fans. Not a home game passes wihout mid game booing and people being horribly xenophobic towards our manager. I

All this as we are 7th with such a young team who need all the support they can get. Hopefully people start to wise up a little but I doubt it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MattP said:

You don't think Bournemouth would match our 3 million a year to keep him?

We aren't anywhere near as powerful as we think we are. Bournemouth have signed Lerma and Solanke for not much less than our record fee.

Yeah and 4 weeks ago you told me Mourinho wouldn't be going back to Real Madrid...

I was asked who I'd like as a manager and that's Eddie Howe because of the brand of football he plays. 

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It’s fantasy. We don’t  have £12 million to pay for Eddie Howe. And Howe won’t leave Bournemouth.

You said anyone could do Puel’s job. But there’s very little candidates available to actually do that job. So we going about realistic changes or dreamland suggestions?

I didn't say anything of the sort. Don't ask questions then jump down my throat because the answers don't fit your criteria or agenda. I'm trying to have a conversation not just aggressively attempt to discredit the thoughts and opinions of others.

4 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

He’s doing some great stuff. I’m unsure if though he’s the only person that can do the things he is doing.

Yeah well....that’s pretty evident of saying anyone can do his job.

its a forum, it’s a place for debate. It’s about attacking opinions. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

I didn't say anything of the sort. Don't ask questions then jump down my throat because the answers don't fit your criteria or agenda. I'm trying to have a conversation not just aggressively attempt to discredit the thoughts and opinions of others.

Aggressively....agenda....criteria. Get out of town 

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yeah well....

its a forum, it’s a place for debate. It’s about attacking opinions. 

So I didn't actually say anyone can do his job then. I said I was unsure if though he's the only person that can do the things he's doing.

Please at least read my posts and interpret pre-attack!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, womp said:

on the boring to watch.

I dont think its helping that all the attacking mids are struggling.

grays lost form,ghezel still trying to get to a level and maddison is up and down too.he has said on a few occasions that the players are struggling to find avenues to attack.

Also if we converted more of the chances we make then the boring tag would slip away somewhat. We don't take enough of our chances it is as simple as that. Definitely need a new option upfront.

7 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I was asked who I'd like as a manager and that's Eddie Howe because of the brand of football he plays. 

Different conversation I know and I'm taking the conversation elsewhere. But he really fails to convince me, no matter how much he spends on his defence they are bloody awful. Conceded 19 goals more than us in the last 10 games... that's as good as two goals a game more! :o

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Yeah and 4 weeks ago you told me Mourinho wouldn't be going back to Real Madrid...

Mourinho is back at Real? I missed that.

For what it's worth I would take Eddie Howe, but I don't see it as possible. 

38 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

I don’t get the impression that the ambition of shooting for 7th as a target has changed. I think Claude was simply stating that it can’t be done by financial muscle, and requires a different strategy based on bringing on younger talent to give us an edge.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Different conversation I know and I'm taking the conversation elsewhere. But he really fails to convince me, no matter how much he spends on his defence they are bloody awful. Conceded 19 goals more than us in the last 10 games... that's as good as two goals a game more! :o

True story - I reckon he could do a job with ours though!