Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Claude Puel calls for a Leicester City reality check

7 minutes ago, reynard said:

This is exactly the point for players. The timing of these statements is also interesting. His honesty is to be admired and much of what Puel says is completely correct. However, the bit about not being able to compete with the Everton, Wolves and West Ham is a concern.  If we can't compete with them what happens when Newcastle find a buyer or if Leeds get promoted or Villa and then in a couple of seasons we aren't able to compete with them. All of a sudden 7th place ambitions become 12th or 13th place ambitions? And let's not pretend these couldn't happen.

I also wonder if this is the club speaking through Puel rather than Puel himself. The context and timing is so out of kilter with his usual press comments and these come on the back of the confirmed investment in the training facilities, the amount of money which these days buys 1 and a half top quality players only, as well as the fact we have an onging loan which needs to be financed through all the premier league money for this and next season at least.

As Smudger correctly says, ambitious players want to win things. You may join a club like us to help you on your way but at the back of your and your agent's minds will be the thought that once an offer comes in I'm off.

Getting them to sign long-term contracts is a way of  providing some financial protection for the club bit long-term we simply become a feeder club for the bigger clubs which now appear to be not just the top 6. Developing a young team is all well and good if you are going to keep them together for some seasons but if all you are going to do is sell some each year then I'm not sure that provides long-term stability.

The Puel supporters want long-term managerial stability, but how long is that? These days 2 years is a long time for a manager. You don't build a dynasty in two years or even three. Whilst at the moment our league position is good I challenge anyone to say the entertainment is the same. An obvious lack of desire in the cups means league position is all we seem to be interested in. Whilst 7th looks good the difference between us an the bottom 3 is not so great as some on here would make out. The statements seem to indicate that we should expect Everton, Wolves and West Ham to finish above us so should we be content with 10th this season?

To me this doesn't tally with spending so much money on new training facilities. So again I would question whose statements these really are. Is this a manager fighting his corner, stating a mid table finish is fine for us or is this the club using him to temper supporter's hopes?

:appl:

• Like 1

I like much that puel is doing.

however he must....

learn how to attack and beat so called lesser sides at home. 

Cut out inept siginings like Ghezzal/Diabate and the likes of Silva and Nacho I know before he arrived). if their not good enough don’t bother, I’d rather see youth promoted and a smaller quantity of signings but of higher quality.

And Improve his English, don’t go on holiday this summer just have intensive English lessons.

7 minutes ago, Peckfortonfox said:

I like much that puel is doing.

however he must....

learn how to attack and beat so called lesser sides at home. 

Cut out inept siginings like Ghezzal/Diabate and the likes of Silva and Nacho I know before he arrived). if their not good enough don’t bother, I’d rather see youth promoted and a smaller quantity of signings but of higher quality.

And Improve his English, don’t go on holiday this summer just have intensive English lessons.

I agree with the bit in bold. Couldn’t really care less about the English just can’t stand 4231 football with nothing in the middle.

6 hours ago, chapero82 said:

So he’s telling us that we shouldn’t have ambitions to go higher? He would never had won the league with us that’s for sure! 

And how do you expect us to get higher than 7th when we don't have the money? It's just not realistic and YOU are part of the problem, not him.

Ranieri wanted one more point than the season before and did it say go for the title until the run in... so give in with the "wouldn't have won the league" he's negative rubbish.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, smudger63 said:

The trouble is these young ambitious players are not going to hang around for 5 years waiting for the club to catch up with their own ambitions, and for every one that we lose,we have to replace with someone who is going to be some where near their level, otherwise we are never going to move forward.

We will forever be developing young talent for other clubs, but like i said, in the end that well runs dry, and we won`t have the talent to develop anymore, and then we become what Southampton are now.

It`s good that we have some great young talent here, but they need help, we have to get the right balance, but we also have to become a club with an ambition to win a cup at least, and not just be happy with mid table finish, or else that young talent will leave us for a club that does.

So what do you suggest? He's made it plainly obvious we don't have that much to spend (this might be short to medium term whilst we finance off the field projects).

So what other choice is there. Plus, it doesn't matter what we do or where we finish. Unless someone wants to pump half a billion in, players will want to go to the big 6, end of story.

And let's not start the Wolves and Everton could poach our players bollocks. Whilst we are finishing top half that ain't happening and certainly not whilst we are sat ahead of them in the league.

You can come out with all the bluster in

the world about wanting to win things... but neither of them have won anything in years.

People will see us building the training ground and developing the ground, they will see our ambition to become a bigger club to compete for more things.

But you can't have your cake and eat it when doing it all organically.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, chapero82 said:

He’s also saying we can’t compete with Wolves and West Ham ffs It’s reminding me the Peter Taylor era 

he question is how can we perform at this club? Do we have the same possibilities and money as Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, or Everton, West Ham or Wolves? Do we have same possibilities? No,” said Puel

Haha, notice he didn’t mention Tottenham (or Man Utd).

Glad he’s come out fighting. Reminds me a little of Pearson’s “delusions of grandeur” comments.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chapero82 said:

So he’s telling us that we shouldn’t have ambitions to go higher? He would never had won the league with us that’s for sure! 

I am not saying for one second we could do it btw I’m just saying it would never had happened with that mindset!

also my annoyance is the way we play and how he has messed up on the chance for 2 cup finals in the exact same way in two years running!

And those Claude were very possible! 

I was going to write something similar. chapero82 comment will do.

The still for me isn’t the league position, that’s very good and I certainly don’t expect us to be here. Around 10th is where I see a club of our size finishing on a regular basis! It’s the level of entertainment particularly at home where we struggle. I am bored when I go to home games these days something I have never felt even under levein/rob Kelly etc. I just know that if we haven’t scored by half time we won’t win the game and the other team are likely to nick one. We have some good young players with pace and think we can utilise this a little more. Possession football is all good if you have a purpose, we at times look like we are keeping the ball with no real plan especially when teams come and sit back which about 10 teams will do. Finishing 7th is a good acheievement but we saw how we dropped away last season and I fear the same again! Hoping Barnes gets some minutes today and he turns out to be like a new signing.

4 hours ago, somebum said:

I just checked

486/282 in favour of him out

64%

Slightly higher than 40% but lower than the 80%. 

Numbers probably changed now after the two wins, but pressure back on him after the cup debacle. 

I'm afraid these polls don't account for all the people like myself who can't be bothered to come on here and vote "puel in" after a defeat because of the amount of shit you know is going to be being spouted...

• Like 4

Well said. I'm pleased he's come out and said this.

We've needed stability for a while and he will provide this. He has inherited an average and ageing squad. I've always liked his idea of giving younger players a chance.

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Would all be fine if his predecessor was sacked for not being 7th. It doesn't tally with some of the ambition from the club and if it is the case we have no chance of holding onto Chilwell and Maguire, etc....

But circumstances changed no? A huge bank loan which needs paying off and the sad events of late October. 

I honestly King Power are craving stability more than anything. It’s more a sustainable ambition than chasing a dream.

I also find it weird how folk are offended at the suggestion Everton, West Ham and Wolves have more dollar. That’s been clear for seven months now. 

Its about time he spoke up about himself. Fair ****s

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

I don’t understand the financials he’s eluding to, he says we can’t compete with the likes of Utd Arsenal et al, I get that, but West ham and Wolves! Really! Why?

Is it to do with the financial FairPlay thing or what?

Simply yes - and they both have owners who wish to loan their clubs money at high interest rates. Wolves will slow down.