Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

After the next general election, maybe we''ll have a Conservative/Brexit Party coalition government, to prevent Comrade Corbyn, John 'Mao' Donnell, and Diane Abacus from ruining the economy and just about everything else.

Yeh I'm sure we will all sleep well knowing Boris and Farage are running the country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Yeah I thought it was a weird claim at first but it's definitely a real phenomenon determining how a language is naturally delivered by its native speakers.  It's most obvious when a person is putting emphasis on a specific word because a syllable based speaker will stress every syllable equally whereas we would stress only certain key sounds.  For instance take the word "abominable":  Spelled exactly the same in both English and French but we would deliver it almost like we're stumbling over the word whereas a French person would retain a steady pace throughout.

It's definitely true that in English not every syllable gets treated equally and there's a lot of vowel-reduction, but from what I've read there's some debate that stress-timing as a 'thing' truly exists.

There's been another serious fire on a block of flats in London. This time in Barking.

Apparently residents complained to the local council about the wood cladding that was put up.

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

There's been another serious fire on a block of flats in London. This time in Barking.

Apparently residents complained to the local council about the wood cladding that was put up.

There doesn’t appear to be any cladding on the photos of the adjoining buildings, unless the cladding is on the other side?

2 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

The reports said wooden balconies 

Apologies. I saw a report that said wooden cladding.

Even so, Bellway apparently assured them it'd be 'perfectly safe' but I guess it depends on how the fire started?

Just now, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

It’s ridiculous isn’t it, who made that decision I wonder!

I’ve worked alongside people who make decisions like this, they are absolutely clueless.

I know recently of a tower block that has had a major cause and effects rewrite, to make it no longer sound the alarm anywhere in the building except for the point of detection. The alarm/sounders are then manually operated per floor by the fire brigade upon arrival. It’s got disaster written all over it in my professional opinion.

Just now, Strokes said:

I’ve worked alongside people who make decisions like this, they are absolutely clueless.

I know recently of a tower block that has had a major cause and effects rewrite, to make it no longer sound the alarm anywhere in the building except for the point of detection. The alarm/sounders are then manually operated per floor by the fire brigade upon arrival. It’s got disaster written all over it in my professional opinion.

Bloody hell, it could be all over for some people by then, that’s crazy.

8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

WTF.

Surely you'd rather get out of the building knowing there's a fire a few floors away as opposed to wait for it to get to your floor?! That's absolutely insane.

Just now, StanSP said:

WTF.

Surely you'd rather get out of the building knowing there's a fire a few floors away as opposed to wait for it to get to your floor?! That's absolutely insane.

I agree, but apparently it goes against the stay put policy. I can’t even pretend to understand it and it’s my job too.

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I agree, but apparently it goes against the stay put policy. I can’t even pretend to understand it and it’s my job too.

I get the logistics of the stay put policy (I have to encourage it as part of my job too) but in a practical sense in your scenario, like you say it's just asking for trouble.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

I get the logistics of the stay put policy (I have to encourage it as part of my job too) but in a practical sense in your scenario, like you say it's just asking for trouble.

Yeah it’s completely reliant on the 30 minute fire containment of the flats not failing. Which is brave beyond belief, I’ve seen the state of the so called fire doors.