Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

3 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

I think the council tax rises had done that already ☹️

Typical governments, here’s a tenner....now give me twenty.  

Signed

Dick Turpin

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, String fellow said:

So, no more free television licences for the over 75s. If the government actually wants to lose the next election, this is a great way to go about it. What next - no more free prescriptions for the over 60s? 

Makes no sense to me that thousands of millionaire over 75s get a free tv licence. 

6 hours ago, Nickfosse said:

Makes no sense to me that thousands of millionaire over 75s get a free tv licence. 

Presumably you don't know any 90+ year-olds, who simply cannot cope with the complexities of modern life, and who need this new worry like a hole in the head. The worry I refer to is not only the question of how to afford it (without sacrificing something else, like having to turn the heating down), but also the practical problem of physically paying for it.    

13 hours ago, String fellow said:

So, no more free television licences for the over 75s. If the government actually wants to lose the next election, this is a great way to go about it. What next - no more free prescriptions for the over 60s? 

That is a good idea actually.  Those on the pension credit (low incomes) should get it, but there is no reason why better off pensioners should get free meds.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Presumably you don't know any 90+ year-olds, who simply cannot cope with the complexities of modern life, and who need this new worry like a hole in the head. The worry I refer to is not only the question of how to afford it (without sacrificing something else, like having to turn the heating down), but also the practical problem of physically paying for it.    

So make it over 90s? It’s the new 75. 

10 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Fair point, but I do know 90 year olds who are ridiculously wealthy. I can’t see the justification of them receiving free stuff. They manage perfectly well when it comes to booking exotic cruises, I’m sure they can manage the process of paying for a license. 

Edited by Nickfosse
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Behave - you don't automatically forget how money works the second you turn 90.

8 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I give up. You lot clearly don't live in the real world.

Actually I do. Thus is a demographic I work with on a daily basis. I’m massively aware of pensioner poverty. I’m also, through my engagement with the real world, aware of the retired rich. My family are part of that group. 

On a very simple level, should Lord Sugar receive a free tv licence?

The means testing will be interesting.

If it’s anything like disability for unemployed where my old neighbour who was 63, could only see some colours out of both eyes, could only walk about 40 meters due to angina and had had a stroke which had left him wth a stutter and one side of his body permanently shaking when in use was told he was fit for work.

Somebody had to come pick him up (paid for by the state) and take him on the bus into town to sign on and walk or later push him to the Job Centre. He couldn’t even walk his own pet dog - I had to do that. I’ll probably have to pay his TV license too to prevent him having another stroke. Poor bastard.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Actually I do. Thus is a demographic I work with on a daily basis. I’m massively aware of pensioner poverty. I’m also, through my engagement with the real world, aware of the retired rich. My family are part of that group. 

On a very simple level, should Lord Sugar receive a free tv licence?

Pssst, probably not the best idea to highlight rich Jews in the current political climate :ph34r:

Edited by Strokes
  • Haha 2

The TV licence is such an outdated concept, they should be abolishing it rather than making more people pay it, how can in this day and age a company/corporation just be handed so much money from the public? They should be made to go and earn their cash like other media companies, as far as I know if you have a TV you have to have a TV license whether you watch or listen to BBC programmes or not, how can this be right? If people don’t want BBC there should be an option not to have it and not pay for it, like Netflix or NowTV.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

The TV licence is such an outdated concept, they should be abolishing it rather than making more people pay it, how can in this day and age a company/corporation just be handed so much money from the public? They should be made to go and earn their cash like other media companies, as far as I know if you have a TV you have to have a TV license whether you watch or listen to BBC programmes or not, how can this be right? If people don’t want BBC there should be an option not to have it and not pay for it, like Netflix or NowTV.

Crazy isn't it?

If you watch any tv or even online streaming services you have to buy one. As you said, such an outdated concept. It's about time they revamped the system.

think i read the average age of BBC watchers was over 62. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

The BBC would be gone in a month without public money. They only had one big show and that was top gear, and they fvcked that up. It's about jobs for the boys.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

I am enjoying the barrage of abuse every BBC presenter seems to be getting on Twitter as if they had a say on the matter. Here's the 72nd incarnation of Mr Lambert thinking that he controls the BBC viewing figures; a particular highlight 

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

The means testing will be interesting.

If it’s anything like disability for unemployed where my old neighbour who was 63, could only see some colours out of both eyes, could only walk about 40 meters due to angina and had had a stroke which had left him wth a stutter and one side of his body permanently shaking when in use was told he was fit for work.

Somebody had to come pick him up (paid for by the state) and take him on the bus into town to sign on and walk or later push him to the Job Centre. He couldn’t even walk his own pet dog - I had to do that. I’ll probably have to pay his TV license too to prevent him having another stroke. Poor bastard.

Based on pension credit they said, so should be fine if he gets that.

• Thanks 1

If they scrapped the TV Licence you can be sure even though it doesn't go directly to the government they'll see an opportunity to replace it with some else like a technical equipment, internet/streaming tax as there's a general trend to keep finding indirect tax opportunities so they can keep a hold of income tax which seems to be the one most people focus on and complain about.

I'm sure they have people employed looking for ways and means to introduce more indirect taxes, certainly Boris will have them doing it to replace his high income tax reduction.

Honestly, from what I can tell most arguments against the BBC tend to be either based on assumed political bias (considering it gets this from both ends of the spectrum I'd say they are doing something right about being impartial) or the classic libertarian argument of "I don't use it, so why should fund it?" which you could basically apply to any public service. If that's people's idea of an ideal world, fair enough.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Honestly, from what I can tell most arguments against the BBC tend to be either based on assumed political bias (considering it gets this from both ends of the spectrum I'd say they are doing something right about being impartial) or the classic libertarian argument of "I don't use it, so why should fund it?" which you could basically apply to any public service. If that's people's idea of an ideal world, fair enough.

The BBC is a public service? :huh:

In what way?