Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

14 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

One of the few good - and very, very important - things that could come out of the current mess.

It's a mug's game trying to predict the outcome of the next general election, even if it happens soon. But there's a distinct chance of another hung parliament - and possibly of Con, Lab, LDs & Brexit Party all getting 20-30% of the vote.

If so, I hope the pro-reform parties make this idea a precondition for supporting any minority govt - and I hope Labour wake the hell up and support that. The moment could be right, given the chaos & contempt for democratic politics now.

Funny enough, at the next election the SNP could well be one of the parties massively over-represented under FPTP, as it was in 2015. They could easily get 100% of the MPs in Scotland on less than 50% of the vote (nearly managed that in 2015).

While I've no time for Farage's politics, it was an outrage that UKIP didn't get more MPs at previous elections - likewise for the Lib Dems & Greens.

If UKIP had got more MPs earlier, maybe some issues might have been addressed more urgently & we'd never have had any Brexit referendum....

Personally, I'd favour Single Transferable Vote in Multi-Member Constituencies (similar to European election system, but allowing you to vote 1-2-3 etc. for different parties/candidates, with surplus votes transferred).

That would be much more fair & proportional, would retain some constituency link & would minimise the risk of tiny parties holding the balance of power (the problem with ultra-pure systems as in Israel)

Even though it was not the best alternative I vote for a change last time in the hope that it would be easier to improve once we had some form of PR.

Just amazing ! ...   Doris must have been FULLY AWARE of her incredible likeness to Boris for many years ...   but has only now made it public ...   which just so happens to coincide with his attempt to gain the leadership of the Conservative party ! ...    I SMELL A RAT   !!!!

IMG_2378.jpg

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Just amazing ! ...   Doris must have been FULLY AWARE of her incredible likeness to Boris for many years ...   but has only now made it public ...   which just so happens to coincide with his attempt to gain the leadership of the Conservative party ! ...    I SMELL A RAT   !!!!

IMG_2378.jpg

Does she do extras CF ? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

IMG_2378.jpg

And to think Wayne Rooney’s had worse 

8 minutes ago, davieG said:

Even though it was not the best alternative I vote for a change last time in the hope that it would be easier to improve once we had some form of PR.

Likewise. But there just wasn't the support for it last time, either among political parties or the public. Both parties and public might be more favourable now, if there's another hung parliament & given the public dismay on all sides at the state of our democratic system.

Could have been easily done after 1997, when Blair won a landslide, as a referendum on PR was a Labour manifesto commitment.....but, of course, the short-term prospect of a couple of terms of complete control tempted them to renege on that promise.

A lot of things would have been different if they'd thought a bit more long-term..... 

27 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

If we have an election shortly, you can imagine a Tory/Brexit party coalition with Farage as number 2 to Boris.  Libs will improve but won't want a coalition with any of the other parties, Labour can't do it on their own as they are toxic.

As oppose to the non toxic Nigel & Boris?

I can imagine it but I’d be embarrassed to live in this country with those two as representatives of the people that inhabit it.

In the event of a GE without electoral reform I’m not sure we’d get a government at the moment.

• Like 2

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

As oppose to the non toxic Nigel & Boris?

I can imagine it but I’d be embarrassed to live in this country with those two as representatives of the people that inhabit it.

In the event of a GE without electoral reform I’m not sure we’d get a government at the moment.

In fairness it's about time that people like Boris and Farage got their way. Rich, middle class, white, hetrosexual, middle aged men just do not have enough of a say in this country and I for one have had enough of it. 

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

In fairness it's about time that people like Boris and Farage got their way. Rich, middle class, white, hetrosexual, middle aged men just do not have enough of a say in this country and I for one have had enough of it. 

I agree. Give me a poor LGBTQ person of colour who identifies as female and I will vote for them, whatever their policies

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

25 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Well, I will wait with bated breath to see MattP's response to this... lol

The words 'red rag' and 'bull' spring to mind.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

Well, I will wait with bated breath to see MattP's response to this... lol

The words 'red rag' and 'bull' spring to mind.

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't expecting a few to come back lol.

On a serious note though, I do find it amusing when Farage and co talk as though they and their friends are a dying breed and are underepresented in British politics. Go to practically any pub in the country and you'll find 3/4 replicas. I used to occasionally drink in the Wheatsheaf in Thurcaston and that's almost exclusively Farage lookalikes, even the women and children.  

• Haha 1

Just now, David Guiza said:

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't expecting a few to come back lol.

On a serious note though, I do find it amusing when Farage and co talk as though they and their friends are a dying breed and are underepresented in British politics. Go to practically any pub in the country and you'll find 3/4 replicas. I used to occasionally drink in the Wheatsheaf in Thurcaston and that's almost exclusively Farage lookalikes, even the women and children.  

These people should not be represented in politics. Let them rot in their pathetic provincial holes

37 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

It's particularly sad as well because what they do have to say is so worth hearing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

These people should not be represented in politics. Let them rot in their pathetic provincial holes

Image result for amen gif

Darling, you and I are not going to argue about this. There will never be a time that said group of people are not overly represented in British politics and to suggest otherwise is naive, comrade. Farage is practically the one politician whom has got exactly what he wanted from the past 5 years, maybe Boris too. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Image result for amen gif

Darling, you and I are not going to argue about this. There will never be a time that said group of people are not overly represented in British politics and to suggest otherwise is naive, comrade. Farage is practically the one politician whom has got exactly what he wanted from the past 5 years, maybe Boris too. 

I agree with you, love. White people will be white people as far as im concerned. Im not racist.

Farage thought he got what he wanted and quit politics, now he thinks he wont get it and has come crawling back out of the woodwork.

Farage is just representing people who agree with his politics. Its disgusting

On the recent topic, I don't get folks who treat acceptance, rights and power from both on the subject of identity as some kind of zero sum game, like if some group stops being marginalised another group is definitely going to be marginalised in its place. It's concepts, not pie.

• Like 1