Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

18 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Boris v Jeremy 

First simple question to Bozza and he refuses to answer lol

Both very childish. Talking over each other and both taking ages to sputter an answer out lol 

7 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Can’t believe Julie Etchingham was in the year below me at school. 

D144845C-323B-413C-B061-E187DCE780AF.jpeg.751a8c691d88e53d49e8c89e4b641019.jpeg

The one that got away ... 

Julie must be gutted at her missed opportunity. 

Didn't realize you were such a old git, grandad

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48908766

"Though loot boxes look like gambling, we won't know what their effects are until these companies start sharing their data with independent scientists.

"There isn't good evidence it is gambling, but the very fact we don't have hard data should be a concern."

Spoiler alert, it's gambling. 

While I'm not against gambling as a general rule, I'm 100% against gambling in computer games, no need for it at all. 

Yep, spot on.

Get rid, blatantly unethical.

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Yep, spot on.

Get rid, blatantly unethical.

Needs a major shake up, especially with these games being aimed at younger players. 

Gaming industry needs a huge wake up in terms of loot boxes and other aspects.

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Are there really professionals who look at a video game offering a randomised return on monetary investment and can't be sure if that's gambling?

Yup...

It is gambling but I assume they need the data to be able to conclusively say whether it is or not and avoid a law suit or anything.

12 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Needs a major shake up, especially with these games being aimed at younger players. 

Gaming industry needs a huge wake up in terms of loot boxes and other aspects.

Yup...

It is gambling but I assume they need the data to be able to conclusively say whether it is or not and avoid a law suit or anything.

It's some legalese thing, then?  I suppose they need to be able to show how it's any different from purchasing booster packs for CCGs (ie. Magic: The Gathering or Pokemon) which are completely legal and honestly I'm struggling there myself.  I suppose in the case of card games you're purchasing a physical product that can retain value over many years whereas all loot box purchases in a yearly game will become defunct once the next title is released and for CCGs you're not being bombarded with adverts urging you to purchase more cards from a shop within arms reach.

12 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's some legalese thing, then?  I suppose they need to be able to show how it's any different from purchasing booster packs for CCGs (ie. Magic: The Gathering or Pokemon) which are completely legal and honestly I'm struggling there myself.  I suppose in the case of card games you're purchasing a physical product that can retain value over many years whereas all loot box purchases in a yearly game will become defunct once the next title is released and for CCGs you're not being bombarded with adverts urging you to purchase more cards from a shop within arms reach.

It's what my thoughts were, it's all well saying it is gambling, but having evidence supporting it is a bit harder. 

Great point in terms of CCGs, hadn't even considered the similarities. And in terms of FIFA they're almost identical. 

A huge thing will be whether it can be shown that companies like EA can alter the odds etc. 

But I don't like it, in-game currencies properly piss me off

British ambassador to the USA has resigned.

I wonder who Donald, er, I mean Boris, will want as our next ambassador....

I can't imagine that even Boris would appoint Farage as ambassador, but certainly wouldn't be surprised if he was made a Special Envoy / Special Adviser on UK-US Relations or something.....

Maybe as part of a deal whereby the Brexit Party didn't stand against Brexiteer Tory MPs in an autumn election? 

Am I getting too close to conspiracy theory territory there? Maybe, but some previously unimaginable stuff is already happening in politics with more to come.

Who'd have thought that this country would be seriously discussing the prospect of closing down parliament to anti-democratically impose the "will of the people", Mussolini-style.

But let's call it "proroguing" rather than "closing down", eh? Sounds more quaint....

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

British ambassador to the USA has resigned.

I wonder who Donald, er, I mean Boris, will want as our next ambassador....

I can't imagine that even Boris would appoint Farage as ambassador, but certainly wouldn't be surprised if he was made a Special Envoy / Special Adviser on UK-US Relations or something.....

Maybe as part of a deal whereby the Brexit Party didn't stand against Brexiteer Tory MPs in an autumn election? 

Am I getting too close to conspiracy theory territory there? Maybe, but some previously unimaginable stuff is already happening in politics with more to come.

Who'd have thought that this country would be seriously discussing the prospect of closing down parliament to anti-democratically impose the "will of the people", Mussolini-style.

But let's call it "proroguing" rather than "closing down", eh? Sounds more quaint....

He had to go after the leak unfortunately.  Standing up for your man is one thing, flogging a dead horse quite another.  The furore should be aimed at the leak rather than the inevitable outcome.  Embarrassing all round really.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I doubt it will happen to be honest, i think Parliament will vote through a transitional deal of some sort so we leave with a grace period; better all round than a WTO only exit.

13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

He had to go after the leak unfortunately.  Standing up for your man is one thing, flogging a dead horse quite another.  The furore should be aimed at the leak rather than the inevitable outcome.  Embarrassing all round really.

Absolutely. However, what chance is that the leak is never really found, the replacement is someone who doesn't believe the current US administration is uniquely dysfunctional and that was the whole aim of the leak in the first place?

They should not have accepted Darroch's resignation and stood up more for him, IMO.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Absolutely. However, what chance is that the leak is never really found, the replacement is someone who doesn't believe the current US administration is uniquely dysfunctional and that was the whole aim of the leak in the first place?

They should not have accepted Darroch's resignation and stood up more for him, IMO.

I dunno, what he said was right - no doubt but he is err y’know a diplomat. Which begs the question of what an earth was he thinking using language like that in emails? Words like inept and incompetent are not necessary to use to put a point across and in positions of public office, doing so is career suicide.

Part of being a diplomat is being able to craft diplomatic communications.

He’s useless now in terms of his role as ambassador as a result of his lack of diplomatic ability and its right he should resign so somebody else can build a new relationship.

I agree wholeheartedly with what he wrote but I wouldn’t get away with writing emails like that to my closest allies in my previous public jobs and certainly wouldn’t role the dice on doing so if I held one of the highest ranking ambassadorial roles the UK had to offer.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

23 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I think Jon's right on this one. As attractive as it may seem to refuse his resignation to stand up for British independence, what would it achieve in practice?

Darroch said that he would be unable to do his job properly after being made persona non grata by Trump. The chances of Trump changing his attitude if we'd insisted on Darroch staying were close to zero, I'd say.

It would have been a confrontation that we couldn't have won, which might have proved damaging - and we'd have ended up inadequately represented and informed.

Aside from trying to identify the leaker and their motives, what matters now is that we appoint someone to work in the interests of the UK, not to pander to US interests or Trump's ego.

I tend to think that May or Hunt would make such an appointment. I have no such confidence in Boris.

• Like 1

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

I think Jon's right on this one. As attractive as it may seem to refuse his resignation to stand up for British independence, what would it achieve in practice?

Darroch said that he would be unable to do his job properly after being made persona non grata by Trump. The chances of Trump changing his attitude if we'd insisted on Darroch staying were close to zero, I'd say.

It would have been a confrontation that we couldn't have won, which might have proved damaging - and we'd have ended up inadequately represented and informed.

Aside from trying to identify the leaker and their motives, what matters now is that we appoint someone to work in the interests of the UK, not to pander to US interests or Trump's ego.

I tend to think that May or Hunt would make such an appointment. I have no such confidence in Boris.

His term was ending this year, we should have insisted he sit there and twiddle his thumbs. It's an international embarrassment to have your ambassador vetoed by the receiving country, we shouldn't be bending to the whim of any foreign leader on such a matter. Shouldn't have been allowed to happen. No leadership yet again and frankly weird that people accept it has to be this way. 

8 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I dunno, what he said was right - no doubt but he is err y’know a diplomat. Which begs the question of what an earth was he thinking using language like that in emails? Words like inept and incompetent are not necessary to use to put a point across and in positions of public office, doing so is career suicide.

Part of being a diplomat is being able to craft diplomatic communications.

He’s useless now in terms of his role as ambassador as a result of his lack of diplomatic ability and its right he should resign so somebody else can build a new relationship.

I agree wholeheartedly with what he wrote but I wouldn’t get away with writing emails like that to my closest allies in my previous public jobs and certainly wouldn’t role the dice on doing so if I held one of the highest ranking ambassadorial roles the UK had to offer.

I disagree that he was at fault in any way.

It's part of being a diplomat to craft diplomatic communications to the representatives of other nations. Another part is to be clear and open in communications with the representatives of your own nation.

He clearly acted in confidence that his communications would not be leaked - and he should have been justified in having such confidence.

His comments were not highly original or especially articulate, but he did nothing wrong in making them.

Serious questions should be asked about communications security & those who perpetrated or commissioned the leak should have a ton of bricks descend upon them.

• Like 3