Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Thinking about it, there's something quite absurd about May continuing to hold meaningful votes until she wins one, despite humiliating losses each time. 

Whilst still insisting we're forever bound to honour a three year old result of which the 52:48 majority is flimsy at best.

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Yep. Keep voting till you get the right result. 

Where have we heard that accusation before?

Abso ****ing lutely 

I thought having informed votes on things was apparently undemocratic? Idk

Edited by Finnegan

Guest MattP
40 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Abso ****ing lutely 

I thought having informed votes on things was apparently undemocratic? Idk

Nothing wrong with bringing votes back to the house that have been amended, standard role of any executive or any motion with amended legislation.

Whether one thinks a lengthy article 50 extension fills that criteria is probably a matter or personal opinion, I'd be surprised if nothing changing from the attorney general advice would be sufficient though. 

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

How the **** are people trying to compare a vote of a few hundred that takes a day to organise to a vote of tens of millions that takes months to organise and costs a bomb. lol

Because they were on the losing side basically. 

Guest MattP
16 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Can you let me know who the winning side is / was please?

It was roughly 52-48 to leave, close but more decisive than other referenda we have had - Welsh devolution springs to mind. 

Although as I've said now, I've had enough of the extremists on both sides now and if a customs union solution is what is necessary to satisfy the result and implement it so be it.

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

May keeps presenting her deal to be voted on without any fundamental change to it

That's not quite true, I've just received an email asking me to offer my endorsement to it. May's getting desperate methinks.

Guest MattP
16 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

No one is winning apart from the disaster capitalists and foreign investors. 

The fact that Putin, Trump, Farage, Billionaires and far right groups want Brexit should be enough of an indicator to the rest of the population should it not?

Most billionaires, companies, hedge funds, banks, the CBI, BoE, IMF, civil service etc wanted Remain.

There are many excellent arguments against Brexit but the idea it's an establishment position is a bit daft.

I'm sure Putin and the Communists want a Labour government as well - but that doesnt mean you shouldn't vote for it if you think it's right.

Dig hard enough you'll find amoral opinion and persons supporting any political decision.

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

It was roughly 52-48 to leave, close but more decisive than other referenda we have had - Welsh devolution springs to mind. 

Although as I've said now, I've had enough of the extremists on both sides now and if a customs union solution is what is necessary to satisfy the result and implement it so be it.

Sorry Matt that was meant tongue in cheek as there really doesn’t seem to be any winners out of the entire process!

Guest MattP
Just now, Swan Lesta said:

Sorry Matt that was meant tongue in cheek as there really doesn’t seem to be any winners out of the entire process!

No problem ? It is a total shitshow, we'll certainly never get a referendum again.

Just now, MattP said:

No problem ? It is a total shitshow, we'll certainly never get a referendum again.

I think we need a referendum to decide on that.

8 hours ago, String fellow said:

Corbyn has stated that he'd oppose ANY deal agreed by Mrs. May and the EU, despite the EU stating that no other deal is available. He also opposes no deal. So what does he actually want? He voted for Article 50 and has since done all he can to stop it happening under any circumstances. I don't understand why this country as a whole and the EU commissioners don't challenge him on his completely illogical stance.        

I thought he put his plan to vote recently - to stay in the customs union, removing any issues with the Irish border?

He is definitely not the right person to be leading Labour right now though is he... The irony in that we have Theresa May, herself a remainer, leading a party who overall wants to leave, and JC, who clearly wants to leave, leading a party that wants to remain. 

2 hours ago, Fox In The Box 90 said:

Extend article 50 for as long as it takes to achieve an acceptable deal that means:

We wont get poorer

Jobs are safeguarded

GFA is upheld

We have the infastructure to cope with additional customs checks and the impact of tariffs

And if that deal is never found, we never leave.

Thats it.

To meet those tests we'd all be dead before we leave.

3 hours ago, MattP said:

He really is unbelievable, he's the speaker - not the leader of the fcuking opposition.

What's the point of the amendment though?  I've not had chance to follow what's going on today but is this just another motion like last night?  If so, the ERG (or at least its mouthpieces) were dismissive of last night's no-deal votes as being irrelevant as they do not bind the House / do not overrule the law.  So what's the point of this, or are they just a walking contradiction?  Also isn't there an amendment being proposed on actually having a second referendum i.e. if it loses then clearly there's a majority not to have one so to have an amendment on that as well is dealing with the same issue twice?

It would be interesting if there was a second referendum what the leave side would campaign on, given everything they said has proven to be rubbish.

I suppose it would be all the evidence brexit is a disaster, tariffs, job losses we have already witnessed, cancelled ferry contracts, no 350 million per week, irish border problems, losing out on the japan trade deal, the german car industry not rescuing us, them seemingly not desperately needing us, hormone injected food, our proposed wto trading schedule already being rejected, vote leave being breaking electoral law, prominent campaigners moving their HQs and applying for EU citizenships, prominent campaigners moving hedge funds to Dublin, medicine shortages, a worthless investment into Gallileo, the voting demographics and polling showing remain would now be the majority, reduced shared security, the falling value of the pound, losing our own freedom of movement, 3 different brexit secretaries all doing nothing and not realising dover was important

Vs

Fish

Blue passports

Endless comparisons to war

We wuz betrayed

And we wuz betrayed would probably still win.

Edited by Fox In The Box 90
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fox In The Box 90 said:

It would be interesting if there was a second referendum what the leave side would campaign on, given everything they said has proven to be rubbish.

I suppose it would be all the evidence brexit is a disaster, tariffs, job losses we have already witnessed, cancelled ferry contracts, no 350 million per week, irish border problems, losing out on the japan trade deal, the german car industry not rescuing us, them seemingly not desperately needing us, hormone injected food, our proposed wto trading schedule already being rejected, vote leave being breaking electoral law, prominent campaigners moving their HQs and applying for EU citizenships, prominent campaigners moving hedge funds to Dublin, medicine shortages, a worthless investment into Gallileo, the voting demographics and polling showing remain would now be the majority, reduced shared security, the falling value of the pound, losing our own freedom of movement, 3 different brexit secretaries all doing nothing and not realising dover was important

Vs

Fish

Blue passports

We wuz betrayd

I still would be nervous of the outcome...! In the same way I am nervous that despite everything Trump will get in for a second term. 

3 minutes ago, Fox In The Box 90 said:

Vs

Fish

Blue passports

We wuz betrayd

I think Team Remain is verging on an almost impossible win even if there is a second vote.  The rhetoric of: (i) Project Fear, (ii) the people vs. the establishment, (iii) the idea of voting Team Leave being a protest vote against the main political parties and (iv) the image that the people are being told they're too stupid to understand/got it wrong the first time is all more than enough to win it for Team Leave.  Facts on both sides will be a complete irrelevance.

Guest MattP
12 minutes ago, Fox In The Box 90 said:

Democracy mainly, tell them again. I'd imagine a whole campaign along the lines of that and a people v the establishment. 50/50 call again but you know Remain will do their best to fcuk it up again with another version of Project Fear.

Let's be frank, everything the remain side said was rubbish, 500k job losses, punishment budget and recession even in the event of a vote to leave.

The issues that have caused the most problematic have been Ireland - something Remain barely mentioned  (although @Alf Bentley on here did to his huge credit during the actual campaign) 

Personally I am looking forward to the commemorative 50p.  It'll be nice. Also looking forward to growing carrots in my garden and also hunting for wildlife on the roundabouts in Oadby. I'm currently working on a trap for pigeons.  As its mating season I'm going to sit in the garden wearing lip stick making my best cooing noises and when one gets close enough I'll grab it. Yum.

15 minutes ago, Benji said:

I think Team Remain is verging on an almost impossible win even if there is a second vote.  The rhetoric of: (i) Project Fear, (ii) the people vs. the establishment, (iii) the idea of voting Team Leave being a protest vote against the main political parties and (iv) the image that the people are being told they're too stupid to understand/got it wrong the first time is all more than enough to win it for Team Leave.  Facts on both sides will be a complete irrelevance.

I disagree.

Even if nobody changed their mind - and there is polling evidence to support a swing to Remain - sufficient elders have died (as a demographic largely voted to Leave) and have been replaced by sufficient new voters (as a demographic largely voted to Remain) to reverse the vote.

Why else do you think the Leave camp are so opposed?

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, Buce said:

I disagree.

Even if nobody changed their mind - and there is polling evidence to support a swing to Remain - sufficient elders have died (as a demographic largely voted to Leave) and have been replaced by sufficient new voters (as a demographic largely voted to Remain) to reverse the vote.

Why else do you think the Leave camp are so opposed?

John Curtice was on the radio earlier saying there is no evidence of a swing to Remain so where is this evidence? 

The whole "dying off" has been disproved for decades as those in the middle become more "right/Tory" as they age - we were told in 97 the Conservative party would never win an election again as the vote had died off.

We also need to know what the EU would look like - it's going to be pretty Eurosceptic after the summer.