Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Fair, but then I don't see any other bastard taking the necessary action - including those who are supposed to actually be thinking ahead and getting the said action running.

I can't find it now but I read something a month ago saying the UK was about the most "progressive" country in the West on this sort of stuff.

I love the "support" the kids are getting though - pure bias from those only holding that viewpoint as they agree with it, I do wonder how many would cheer them on leaving next Monday to protest for a hard Brexit? 

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

I can't find it now but I read something a month ago saying the UK was about the most "progressive" country in the West on this sort of stuff.

I love the "support" the kids are getting though - pure bias from those only holding that viewpoint as they agree with it, I do wonder how many would cheer them on leaving next Monday to protest for a hard Brexit? 

Tbf the environment protests are aimed at improving their future.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Btw while you're here @MattP have you had any thoughts on the democratic legitimacy of May's tactic of repeating her vote until she gets the 'right' answer?  Iirc you were pretty vociferous about repeat votes on the same subject being undemocratic not too long ago...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MattP said:

The UK is doing at least reasonably well in this matter, but perhaps at least a few of those involved believe that it's not enough and/or want to direct attention to the lack of progress in other places, too?

Of course support would only come from anyone who agrees with them and I don't think such action is actually all that effective at all, but it just so happens that in this particular case the agreers are "practically anyone with a cursory understanding of current environmental effects (human caused and not) and a modicum of interest in the long term future of all civilisation rather than perhaps just one small part of it".

This isn't a really subjective field at the present time, unless a really convincing argument for maintaining the status quo (as numerous world governments seem happy to do) not leading to trouble exists.

• Like 3

Just now, MattP said:

Kids dont tend to be really old, really racist or in the ERG though so theyd probably not go on a protest for hard brexit.

• Like 3

Guest MattP
15 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Btw while you're here @MattP have you had any thoughts on the democratic legitimacy of May's tactic of repeating her vote until she gets the 'right' answer?  Iirc you were pretty vociferous about repeat votes on the same subject being undemocratic not too long ago...

I think it's pretty wrong unless a serious amendment is applied in the motion.

Although it's also worth noting many people have been voting with the notion in mind that it could come back again, many in the ERG seem to have the intention of voting against unless it ends as this deal v article 50 extension and it may even be argued that's a significant change given the latter was voted for after the former last week.

The speaker will certainly do his best though to ensure she can't do it.

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

Although it's also worth noting many people have been voting with the notion in mind that it could come back again, many in the ERG seem to have the intention of voting against unless it ends as this deal v article 50 extension and it may even be argued that's a significant change given the latter was voted for after the former last week.

Commons Speaker John Bercow has ruled out the government holding another vote on its previously rejected Brexit agreement if the motion remains "substantially the same".

Good timing. Literally appeared on BBC 2 minutes after your post lol

Edited by Innovindil

Guest MattP
Just now, Innovindil said:

Commons Speaker John Bercow has ruled out the government holding another vote on its previously rejected Brexit agreement if the motion remains "substantially the same".

Good timing. 

Haha. So precedent goes out the window when it's Grieve's amendment but obviously is deeply important when it comes to this.

Expected nothing less.

3 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Tbf education isn't going to be much use when we're all standing neck deep in sea water and surrounded by wildfires.

It's okay. the iphones will be water anf fire proof by then.

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

So looks like taking back control is going to mean begging the foreigners to give us a bit more time. 

I don't think there will need to be any begging, the EU will not want us to leave without a deal on the 29th they will probably insist on a 2 year extension however.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

I don't think there will need to be any begging, the EU will not want us to leave without a deal on the 29th they will probably insist on a 2 year extension however.

Yeah it was a bit of gentle trolling on my part. All a huge mess. 

29 minutes ago, bovril said:

So looks like taking back control is going to mean begging the foreigners to give us a bit more time. 

We can't have control because we're still in the EU :dunno: Hence why we have to 'beg' for anything :P

32 minutes ago, bovril said:

We bloody signed the contract..don't blame the EU..!!

Ffs the UK govt,has and is getting away with murder,on the back of its People + Electorate on both sides of the divide....

Get your act together,and target the losers who can't even be honourable to their country..!!!!

We should be on the street....showing our disgust to UK politicians..govt. & opposition,not whining over the EU stance!!!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

The March to Leave looks amazing.

It's one of the bleakest things I've ever seen, and I've been to the Isle of Sheppey.

Hope there aren't too many gout flare-ups

You haven't been to Coventry then

Forgetting for the moment who supports Brexit (like myself), and those who are against it, Mrs. May's plan does not suit either.

Something has to change, or we will end up with a further two years of getting nowhere.

No deal, is a good deal, but that's only my opinion. That would be better by far than the deal Mrs. May want's.

11 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

The March to Leave looks amazing.

It's one of the bleakest things I've ever seen, and I've been to the Isle of Sheppey.

Hope there aren't too many gout flare-ups

I read a couple of quotes from people who were taking part. One said, “If we don’t leave we’ll all be conscripted into an EU army led by the Germans”; the other (an ex soldier) said as he looked at all the Union flags, “It’s wonderful - it reminds me of when we followed the flag across the Falklands”. 

Of course, just to be clear, the idea that any Brexit voters were thick or racist is just another lie told by bitter Remainers. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MattP said:

Oh well in that case can't we argue that many people voted to leave with the notion in mind that it was never going to happen so their vote would register as a protest against the government.

If the ERG members voted no so they could get their palms greased before the 3rd vote then maybe they should listen to their own advice: Accept the vote's outcome and fulfil their obligation to make sure the result is a success even though they didn't vote for it.D19IH_gWoAALtFp.jpg

• Like 1

Guest MattP

This man must be the most delusional in politics - everyone he speaks he must create 100 Eurosceptics. 

He's deadly serious as well.
Edited by MattP

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Oh well in that case can't we argue that many people voted to leave with the notion in mind that it was never going to happen so their vote would register as a protest against the government.

If the ERG members voted no so they could get their palms greased before the 3rd vote then maybe they should listen to their own advice: Accept the vote's outcome and fulfil their obligation to make sure the result is a success even though they didn't vote for it.D19IH_gWoAALtFp.jpg

Well not really no and we we were told that referendum was final and the result was implemented - they amend in parliament all the time, certainly not comparable to public plebiscite.

I'm not sure how the ERG can get palms greased? The idea they kept voting against was (I presume) to either get No Deal or to try and get further concessions on the backstop from Europe.

The ERG are actually happy with the decision of the speaker today by the sounds coming out of Westminster. 

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Well not really no and we we were told that referendum was final and the result was implemented - they amend in parliament all the time, certainly not comparable to public plebiscite.

I'm not sure how the ERG can get palms greased? The idea they kept voting against was (I presume) to either get No Deal or to try and get further concessions on the backstop from Europe.

The ERG are actually happy with the decision of the speaker today by the sounds coming out of Westminster. 

Furry muff.  But I'm pretty sure we were told the referendum was advisory, not final.

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Furry muff.  But I'm pretty sure we were told the referendum was advisory, not final.

From the official government leaflet explaining it to us.

IMG_20190114_220238.jpg