Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob Weasel Fox

Watford (A) pre match thread

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Whilst this will come in time I’m not sure we’ll see it today. Pressing isn’t just about the individual but the team. We know Vardy will press but we need Gray, Barnes and even the deeper players like Maddison and Tielemans to do it too. Successful pressing involves blocking the short passing option a defender has causing them to play it long where our CBs and Ndidi can win it and get us playing. 

From a tactical perspective the last 10 games will be very interesting, but I expect Rodgers will want at least one player in the summer to truly implement the system he wants. 

I have a feeling we'll have a busy summer transfer window.. Alot will depend on whether Youri is signed on a permanent basis. 

Can see 2 central midfielders being brought in, a LB and crucially a striker, hopefully a Rondon or Mitrovic?.. Or take a punt on Che Adams? 

We'll need to replace Shinji and hopefully Ghezzal I can see both leaving in the summer. (not sure who'll take Deirdre off our hands though?) 

Iheanacho is an unknown.. Perhaps loan him out for a season to get regular football, but can't see where he's going to fit in when we sign a new striker. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Whilst this will come in time I’m not sure we’ll see it today. Pressing isn’t just about the individual but the team. We know Vardy will press but we need Gray, Barnes and even the deeper players like Maddison and Tielemans to do it too. Successful pressing involves blocking the short passing option a defender has causing them to play it long where our CBs and Ndidi can win it and get us playing. 

From a tactical perspective the last 10 games will be very interesting, but I expect Rodgers will want at least one player in the summer to truly implement the system he wants. 

True. Looking at the players mentioned, they aren’t exactly known for their manic pressing abilities. 

Brendan will need to get this out of them in particular Maddison & Barnes. Will come with time hopefully. 

17 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Called it

Good shout, But I'd switch Maddison and Tielemans  ha ing Maddison playing the holding role and Tielemans playing behind the strikers.

Simply because I think Tielemans has a quicker eye and is a better finisher.

Madison can break up attacks simply by his falling over on contact which he's very good at. Plus his slower movement will allow Chilwell and Ricardo to get forward in support providing the width.

• Haha 1