Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob Weasel Fox

Watford (A) pre match thread

On 01/03/2019 at 14:08, dyanmark said:

I played a bit of footy and if you are trying to get on the end of a cross it is very unlikely that the three defenders between you and the ball are going to miss it and let you head it gently into the net.Watching us all season we Vardy and co seem to think that may happen.we do need to get in front of the man or go for he cut back plenty of cross situations and not making the best of them

Football Manager or FIFA?

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Do Rodgers teams place as much faith in attacking full backs as Puel? I do wonder if Chilwell and Ricardo will be asked to keep their shape better and only attack when we have pressed high up the pitch.

No, his team tend to really on a midfield that is capable of going beyond sideways and backwards passing

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CyprusFox said:

I hope he doesn't replace Maddison With anyone, least of all Mendy. He's still the most creative player we've got. What's the point of defending for 90mins. We are not getting relegated. We need to go all out to finish as high as possible 

I agree but I'm trying to base it all on what Brendan would have saw against Brighton. He would have saw Maddison struggle a little. He would have saw Tielemans be more creative and bag an assist and he would have saw Mendy sturdy up our midfield when he came on.... 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Aside from the unfortunate loss a few seasons or so ago, don't think LCFC'S record is bad at Watford?

We've lost 2-1 there twice on the bounce looking ragged both times, even Molla Wague managed to score for them against us

On 01/03/2019 at 14:46, mancunianfox said:

Personnel. Our defensive shape will never be any good while we are playing our full backs so high up and Maguire has such poor tactical discipline. We can't have three defenders so far up the pitch, someone needs to help out the lone defender.

Correct.

I never understood anything Puel thought would work tbh.

eg, place the onus on attacking on the defenders ??‍♂️ Ie Chilwell ;

whose ability on the ball still leaves a lot to be desired.

To believe said defenders have more ability in crossing creating chances than traditional midfielders /  wingers that are already on the payroll.

Believe that having 1 forward up front against 4 defenders, allied with indirect possession football would be effective.

I could go on... but life is too short.

Im hopeful Ginger will rectify much of this in the next few weeks, so we can look forward to a positive start and make progress next season.

?

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I agree but I'm trying to base it all on what Brendan would have saw against Brighton. He would have saw Maddison struggle a little. He would have saw Tielemans be more creative and bag an assist and he would have saw Mendy sturdy up our midfield when he came on.... 

He saw an awful lot! 

18 minutes ago, weller54 said:

He saw an awful lot! 

.........and its not going to get changed with 2 or three training sessions.

3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I think we shouldn’t expect too much too soon. This is a very difficult opening fixture for him.

I expect nothing and hope to be surprised. I've seen him build teams twice but he always had a summer to work with the new club.  A new page in the Rodgers book. There is one thing I know for sure and that is he will be prepared.

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Do Rodgers teams place as much faith in attacking full backs as Puel? I do wonder if Chilwell and Ricardo will be asked to keep their shape better and only attack when we have pressed high up the pitch.

Will be interesting to see how Chilwell fairs under Bren. Chilwell's defensive game is solid but he was working on improving his attacking game. I hope he gets the same kind of opportunities in attack. He's one of the most promising full backs in the league.

8 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Aside from the unfortunate loss a few seasons or so ago, don't think LCFC'S record is bad at Watford?

I assume you have erased the playoff game from memory. Think our record is slightly negative/average recently.

PL lost 2-1 last 2 games. Won 1-0 before that. Championship won 3-0 the season after that playoff game. I went there and we lost 2-1 in the Championship recently too. Could be worse, thinking a draw today.

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Got a bad feeling about this for some reason. 

I'm nervous about the backlash from Celtic fans if we get beat today tbh, feels like there's way more pressure on this game than there should be because of all the hype and build up...