Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

Glen Driscoll - First team fitness

I don’t know if our fitness levels are all that bad, though I have seen quite a bit about Claude’s training sessions not being intense enough and the players were very unhappy about that as they want to play with high intensity.

Everything I’ve read from Brendan so far has made me very excited for next season. 

Rodgers has been working with him at Chelsea, Swansea, Liverpool & Celtic - they clearly like to work as a team and if you think back to all of our most successful managers of the last 20years; O'Neill with John Robertson, Sven with Tord Grip :whistle:, Pearson with Walsh & Shakey, and even Ranieri had Paolo Benetti & the fitness coach Andrea Azzalin

Edited by Jaspa

1 hour ago, Jaspa said:

Rodgers has been working with him at Chelsea, Swansea, Liverpool & Celtic - they clearly like to work as a team and if you think back to all of our most successful managers of the last 20years; O'Neill with John Robertson, Sven with Tord Grip :whistle:, Pearson with Walsh & Shakey, and even Ranieri had Paolo Benetti & the fitness coach Andrea Azzalin

Weird how we never really saw much of them at all. 

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I don’t know if our fitness levels are all that bad, though I have seen quite a bit about Claude’s training sessions not being intense enough and the players were very unhappy about that as they want to play with high intensity.

Everything I’ve read from Brendan so far has made me very excited for next season. 

That's the gist of it for me too. I've not felt like this in a while.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I have thought for some time that our fitness was way below previous seasons. We dont attack in numbers coz we have to run back when it breaks down. When we played liverpool at home this season it was clear we were way behind them fitnesswise

I'll never forgive Ranieri for disposing of the Sports Science person. ( I can't remember his name ). 

I'm even more annoyed with the Club for allowing it to happen.

We definitely haven't been as fit since our Title winning season and it's something in passionate about, as it's the the imaginary 12th man on match days and gives the  team the added edge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

I'll never forgive Ranieri for disposing of the Sports Science person. ( I can't remember his name )

I'm even more annoyed with the Club for allowing it to happen.

We definitely haven't been as fit since our Title winning season and it's something in passionate about, as it's the the imaginary 12th man on match days and gives the  team the added edge.

Wasn’t it the  psychologist, Ken ??.

• Like 2

The up turn in our performances is down to the team looker far sharper imo.  There's no way we would have lasted the course against Burnley in a similar situation earlier in the season under Puel.  No chance.

The players look sharper, faster, more alert - you can put it down to trying to impress a new manager but as I've said before, in terms of man management, Puel was poor.  I'd even suggest Rodgers could have got more out of the likes of Iborra and Silva tbf.

Rodgers will have hard data that tells him the current team isn't fit enough, he wouldn't have said that without the evidence to back it up.

He was a stickler for fitness and analystics to prove it out at Celtic and that comes from someone on the inside.

The difference a year later from when he arrived in our fitness was night and day.  Apparently the numbers for the slowest/unfittest (sic) person a year later were better than the fittest person at the club the year previous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, st albans fox said:

You could well be right or maybe they're the same person. But it thought I read that Ranieri dismissed the Sports Science because he doesn't believe in it.

Either way he shouldn't have been allowed get away with it.

42 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

You could well be right or maybe they're the same person. But it thought I read that Ranieri dismissed the Sports Science because he doesn't believe in it.

Either way he shouldn't have been allowed get away with it.

I remember a report saying he had stopped listening to the advise of the sports science team, but it was fairly unsubstantiated so possibly bollocks.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Sousa got rid of the sports scientists, many found their way back to Loughborough Uni, I'd spoken to several there.

Never heard or seen any mention of sports scientist moving on under Claudios reign post winning the league, fair to assume they were here when we won it.

Ken Way the sports psychologist was indeed moved on after winning the title. Again I have spoken in depth to him (itk!) was only part time and cost bugger all basically, he was well put out. Incidental only quoted one player 'Mendy' couldn't understand that signing.

Lots about Ken on-line, not a great move booting him out

• Like 1