Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

Is the booing of Smith harmless banter or is it not more akin to the Scousers relentlessly booing Sterling at every turn out of pettiness and bitterness? 

I get that he was found guilty of doing something bad but is it not hypocritical on a frankly embarrassing scale to slaughter someone else for it knowing full well your own team will blatantly be at it as much as they can? 

The majority of people I've spoken to about ball tampering seem to basically be of the impression that it's something literally everyone does if they can get away with it. I mean. Eh. 

Get over it, surely? 

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Is the booing of Smith harmless banter or is it not more akin to the Scousers relentlessly booing Sterling at every turn out of pettiness and bitterness? 

I get that he was found guilty of doing something bad but is it not hypocritical on a frankly embarrassing scale to slaughter someone else for it knowing full well your own team will blatantly be at it as much as they can? 

The majority of people I've spoken to about ball tampering seem to basically be of the impression that it's something literally everyone does if they can get away with it. I mean. Eh. 

Get over it, surely? 

Given what he did and that that's going to follow him wherever he goes anyway, it's emphasised more given that he's an Australian getting 100 against England in England.

I wouldn't call it bitterness as such. Deep down most fans I'd presume would appreciate he's a quality player whether the ball-tampering happens/happened or not. He's one of the best batsman in the world at the moment and I think fans just see it as an opportune moment to give him some stick. 

If Smith or Warner get centuries or get out in this tournament there'll be respective boos and cheers which is to be totally expected though.

On a different but related matter, apparently Panesar has come out and said that there was severe ball-tampering by English players he played with all those years ago. Fits the argument that every team does it or has done it and it's a case of getting caught doing it these days. With the amount of cameras on the game now it's even more of a risk though.

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Is the booing of Smith ... (snip)

Get over it, surely? 

Football fans often boo their ex players / those who played for rival clubs / those who scored key goals against them / those who have criticised us

It's all fairly pantomime stuff really.

Didn't expect Australia to come away winning that.

Thought England were fairly comfortable once they got in to the batting and looked set to win. Even when it got to 7 an over within the last 10 I'd have thought they'd win.

Edited by StanSP

Guest MattP
7 hours ago, Manini said:

I’ve just found out that Jimmy Anderson called Mike Hussey Dave for the entirety of an Ashes series once. Great sledge that lol 

Every single time he hit a four apparantly lol

Every single time wherever Anderson was on the field he'd shout "shot Dave" lol

On 25/05/2019 at 14:07, Finnegan said:

Get over it, surely? 

I dunno, I think Smith and Warner will get it while they're over here for the summer but it'll be somewhat forgotten about after.

On 26/05/2019 at 09:50, AKCJ said:

Anyone doing a Fantasy league for the World Cup?

Making a team now but can't figure out how the hell I can change my team name.

Telegraph one? You choose it after you've confirmed your selection.

24 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Telegraph one? You choose it after you've confirmed your selection.

I had just used the ICC one. Trying to work out which one to do. Is the Telegraph one worth the £4?

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

I had just used the ICC one. Trying to work out which one to do. Is the Telegraph one worth the £4?

This is the first time I've done it, so not sure. Mates who do the county one every year seem to rate it.

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

This is the first time I've done it, so not sure. Mates who do the county one every year seem to rate it.

Yeah I can imagine doing a yearly County one for £4 is worth it but just for the tournament? Not sure.

On 25/05/2019 at 14:07, Finnegan said:

Get over it, surely? 

Pettiness, really. The Australians have had players before that the English crowd have targetted- Ponting, Watson, Clarke, Johnson, now Smith and Warner. To be honest, I doubt most of the other players register on the radar of England fans, certainly not in a pantomime villain way. 

It'll be like the football crowd- booing and jeering early on then it will lose it's effect.

Well I'm sure we all can't wait to cheer on the Trent Rockets! lollollollollol

The ECB have applied for trademarks for the names of six of their teams for their new competition, The Hundred, which begins next summer.

One of them is for London Spirit, which, as was exclusively revealed by Standard Sport yesterday, will be the team based at Lord’s. The others are Welsh Fire (Cardiff), Southern Brave (Southampton), Birmingham Phoenix, Leeds Superchargers and Trent Rockets (Nottingham).

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/cricket/ecb-apply-for-trademarks-for-six-hundred-teams-a4153931.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Did they deliberately pick the worst names they could?

Southern Brave? **** me..

One bloke who's going to need to be brave is the guy the ECB sends to try and convince Somerset and Gloucestershire fans to cheer for a team called the "Welsh" something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1