Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

So Archer & Dawson,get the nodd!!!

Denley &  Willey.   miss out.

I have nothing against the squad. My only wish is that Wood,doesn't have injury problems...!!

And fears of all England fans...our batting order doesn't suddenly have top competition,shaking of form willies!!!!

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

Dawson selection is just bizarre.

Is it though? We are not short in the batting department, so Denly is not needed in that sense, whilst you wouldn't trust him to bowl a significant number of overs if Rashid or Ali were to get injured. 

Dawson is a decent left-arm spinner, not spectacular admittedly, but I'd definitely trust him to trundle through 10 overs in the middle of an innings more than I would Denly. He's also fairly handy with the bat, and is having a good season for Hampshire in the one-day cup. I think his selection makes sense. 

17 minutes ago, Osavo said:

Is it though? We are not short in the batting department, so Denly is not needed in that sense, whilst you wouldn't trust him to bowl a significant number of overs if Rashid or Ali were to get injured. 

Dawson is a decent left-arm spinner, not spectacular admittedly, but I'd definitely trust him to trundle through 10 overs in the middle of an innings more than I would Denly. He's also fairly handy with the bat, and is having a good season for Hampshire in the one-day cup. I think his selection makes sense. 

He's the fourth best spin option in that squad after Root, and doesn't offer enough with the bat to be in on that score either.

4 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

He's the fourth best spin option in that squad after Root, and doesn't offer enough with the bat to be in on that score either.

Who would you have chosen instead? 

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Willey. Left arm seam offers something different and he's better with the bat.

And what if Moeen or Rashid get injured? In my opinion Dawson is a better spinner than Root, and if one of our frontline spinners get injured he would be needed. 

I agree Willey should be in the squad though. If it's a cloudy morning, you'd want him in there to swing it early on. However, I think the fact that Morgan doesn't trust him to bowl at the death or in the middle overs probably did for his chances. Personally would have left out Wood, Archer provides what we need in terms of pure pace and Wood is injury prone. 

1 hour ago, Osavo said:

And what if Moeen or Rashid get injured? In my opinion Dawson is a better spinner than Root, and if one of our frontline spinners get injured he would be needed. 

I agree Willey should be in the squad though. If it's a cloudy morning, you'd want him in there to swing it early on. However, I think the fact that Morgan doesn't trust him to bowl at the death or in the middle overs probably did for his chances. Personally would have left out Wood, Archer provides what we need in terms of pure pace and Wood is injury prone. 

I just don't think the possibility of one injury is enough to necessitate Dawson being picked over Willey, when Root is more than capable of filling in a few overs here and there. How often is it that both of our spinners bowl their full allocation anyway? Our spinners are useful on their day, but I think having options to rotate the seam attack and avoid injuries there is far more important given the format of this tournament and the country it's being played in.

22 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I just don't think the possibility of one injury is enough to necessitate Dawson being picked over Willey, when Root is more than capable of filling in a few overs here and there. How often is it that both of our spinners bowl their full allocation anyway? Our spinners are useful on their day, but I think having options to rotate the seam attack and avoid injuries there is far more important given the format of this tournament and the country it's being played in.

But with Stokes in the side, we only need to play three more seamers and there's five in the squad in Archer, Curran, Plunkett, Woakes and Wood. That should be ample for rotation.

As for the spinners bowling their full allocation, Rashid nearly always bowls 10 overs, whilst Moeen often gets up to 7 or 8 overs. In 8 games against India and Australia last summer, Rashid bowled 76 overs, whilst Moeen bowled 68.5, some of those innings weren't the full 50 overs either. Our spinners are vital to our attack, I would much rather have a competent backup to them than another seam option who will likely be underused. Also allows Root to focus on his batting rather than worry about being the backup spinner. 

Like I said, I would have gone Willey over Wood, but do think five seamers is enough. 

I've got tickets to the West Indies Vs Australia game at Trent Bridge in the World Cup. Looking forward to it, should be a cracking atmosphere!

Looked at getting tickets to an England game but the prices were extortionate!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiffToff88 said:

I've got tickets to the West Indies Vs Australia game at Trent Bridge in the World Cup. Looking forward to it, should be a cracking atmosphere!

Also going to that one, then Windies v New Zealand at Old Trafford later in the month.

5 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

5 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Also going to that one, then Windies v New Zealand at Old Trafford later in the month.

4 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

Sri Lanka vs West Indies at Durham and West Indies vs New Zealand at Old Trafford purchased! Means i'm seeing West Indies live three times this world cup lol 

India vs West Indies at Old Trafford and India vs Bangladesh at Edgbaston for me :D 

• Like 1

Although I’m an old traditionalist when it comes to test cricket, I must admit I do like England’s 1992 retro World Cup kit :thumbup:

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Been showing plenty of World Cup 99 games on Sky this week. 

That was the peak in my lifetime for ODI World Cup. Each team had players. Some great games. 

I hope this tournament is as good 

Such a shame Lance Klusener didn't win the tournament with South Africa. He was sensational.