Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

And now Sam Curran's making the headlines.  Four wickets including a hat-trick in 2.2 overs in the biggest T20 collapse I've ever seen (last seven wickets for eight runs).  I'd wish him more success if he wasn't playing for the same team as Ashwin.

I'm sorry, maybe it's my inner scrum half and maybe I'm just not cricket but what Ashwin did was bang on and I'd have done the same. 

Batsmen getting like halfway down the wicket is a bit like blatant obstruction in football when a centre half is shielding a ball out. It shouldn't happen, there's rules there to stop it, but everyone just accepts its OK. 

If you take it to its complete extreme the non striking batsman could be practically waiting on top of the striking one to run. Sod that. You're supposed to wait at your end until the ball has been delivered so wait at your end. 

Similarly at the other end, a batsman refusing to walk like I think Broad was famous for? You've got umpires and a review system, it's not the batsman's job to police the game. 

I'd probably be detested if I was a cricketer. lol

It's funny how both games are insanely popular with England's traditional gentry yet rugby is seen very much as a sport where getting away with cheating is part of the game but cricket you have to be intensely honourable haha. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I'm sorry, maybe it's my inner scrum half and maybe I'm just not cricket but what Ashwin did was bang on and I'd have done the same. 

Batsmen getting like halfway down the wicket is a bit like blatant obstruction in football when a centre half is shielding a ball out. It shouldn't happen, there's rules there to stop it, but everyone just accepts its OK. 

If you take it to its complete extreme the non striking batsman could be practically waiting on top of the striking one to run. Sod that. You're supposed to wait at your end until the ball has been delivered so wait at your end. 

Similarly at the other end, a batsman refusing to walk like I think Broad was famous for? You've got umpires and a review system, it's not the batsman's job to police the game. 

It's funny how both games are insanely popular with England's traditional gentry yet rugby is seen very much as a sport where getting away with cheating is part of the game but cricket you have to be intensely honourable haha. 

You're spot on. The whole notion of "spirit of cricket" varies form country to country anyway, whereas the laws are consistent. A batsman wouldn't warn a bowler whose front foot was getting close to being a no ball, so why should it work the other way round?

The Broad one was just hilarious. How he managed to keep a straight face is beyond me. If you don't walk for a nick behind, as most of those up in arms about that wouldn't, why would you walk after being caught anywhere on the pitch? It's the same "offence" you've committed.

That said, I do still respect walkers at any level and I'd still absolutely slate an opponent who didn't do it when they know they've hit it in a minor club game or whatever, but bowlers should be free to Mankad themselves silly at all levels. Guess that line of thought is my inner bowler coming out though. lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Tbf given how many of them seem to be absolute show pony nobheads it seems to me that spin bowlers are the scrum halves of cricket anyway. Spin bowlers and sledging wicket keepers. lol

I'm a spin bowler and once upon a time a scrum half.

I'll let you decide what that means for my moral character. :D

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm a spin bowler and once upon a time a scrum half.

I'll let you decide what that means for my moral character. :D

I was probably the only thing worse than a scrum half.

A winger that wore red boots (before coloured boots were even acceptable in football) and had gelled hair. 

:D

Honestly, if I hadn't left the valleys I'd probably have had a fake tan by 14.

Edited by Finnegan
  • Haha 1

Guest MattP
51 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If they are consistently doing you can run them out and no one will say anything. 

The difference here when Ashwin stopped Buttler was actually still in his crease - so he wasn't even cheating. You are entitled to start walking as soon as they are in the bowling motion.

I would prefer players still to walk, I always did. I remember one player not walking against us when I was 16-17 and after a couple of beamers bowled at him he was happy to get himself out.

12 minutes ago, MattP said:

If they are consistently doing you can run them out and no one will say anything. 

The difference here when Ashwin stopped Buttler was actually still in his crease - so he wasn't even cheating. You are entitled to start walking as soon as they are in the bowling motion.

I would prefer players still to walk, I always did. I remember one player not walking against us when I was 16-17 and after a couple of beamers bowled at him he was happy to get himself out.

Sounds to me like it was the umpires that were the problem.

Edited by ealingfox

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

Sounds to me like it was the umpires that were the problem.

The umpires can only ask if you uphold the appeal - if they do and you and the captain say yes there is only one decision they can make.

32 minutes ago, MattP said:

The umpires can only ask if you uphold the appeal - if they do and you and the captain say yes there is only one decision they can make.

I was only talking about the game from your youth there tbf.

On Mankads I don't like the idea at all but if someone's taking the piss and you've warned them properly once then you can't really have any complaints as the batsman. But on this occasion it was particularly galling as there was no warning, Buttler wasnt taking the piss, and it was barely legitimate, if at all.

On walking actually I'm fairly relaxed. People always think it's obvious and the batsman always knows but it's really not like that. Ok if you're in a friendly village game with a sleepy old bloke umpiring and it was obvious then yeah you're a knobhead if you don't go. But truth be told if I'm a captain in the Ashes and someone walks for something not clear cut where the finger wasn't going up realistically I'd be going apeshit in the dressing room.

In my experience there's usually a window where you can tell the fingers going up before it does so you can make yourself look good by going at that moment. Justin Langer was good at that.

Edited by ealingfox

England maybes watch: Vince out for 40 opening for Hampshire, Hameed 61 not out at lunch against Loughborough Uni.

Really need all of our red ball certainties and possibles to be playing as many County Championship games as they can this summer. One four-day Test against Ireland is absolutely no sort of Ashes preparation whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

England maybes watch: Vince out for 40 opening for Hampshire, Hameed 61 not out at lunch against Loughborough Uni.

Really need all of our red ball certainties and possibles to be playing as many County Championship games as they can this summer. One four-day Test against Ireland is absolutely no sort of Ashes preparation whatsoever.

And the amount of touring Aussies our counties have signed up is criminal. 

• Like 1

Anyone watching IPL tonight?

Andre Russell is a pure power-hitter.

Hit about 5 sixes when his team needed something like 59 off 20. Now, thansk to him, they only need 7 off 7 having needed to chase 206 from their 20 overs.

Smashing it in all directions of the ground. Unreal.

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

When they show the strike rate in IPL is that the number of runs they average per 100 balls faced? So SR100 means you're hitting a run a ball? 

Yep.

Bowling averages are wickets taken per 100 runs conceded..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Yep.

Bowling averages are wickets taken per 100 runs conceded..

Nope.

A bowling average is number of runs conceded per wicket taken.

A bowling strike rate is average number of balls bowled between each wicket taken.