Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Random LCFC videos and pictures

17 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Towards the end of the 1981-82 season ... vital game home to promotion rivals Norwich City.

We got stuffed 4-1 ... terrible game.

The streaker was the only amusing thing that afternoon.

Norman Leet OG. :(

3 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Towards the end of the 1981-82 season ... vital game home to promotion rivals Norwich City.

We got stuffed 4-1 ... terrible game.

The streaker was the only amusing thing that afternoon.

I was wondering if it was that game - in which case I was there, and must have been close to the 'action' (I have no recollection of it). Seem to remember Wallington giving the ball away for one of their goals and Larry May getting the consolation.

The 1981-82 season promised so much at one point ... an FA Cup Final and Promotion.  But ended up being really frustrating.

We got to the FA Cup Semi Final, courtesy of the amazing 5-2 Qtr Final win over Shrewsbury Town.   But in the Semi final draw, we got the short straw of Tottenham (rather than West Brom or QPR), and ended up going out at Villa Park.

We kept ourselves in the hunt for promotion by winning 9 successive home games.   Then came the 4-1 defeat at home to Norwich, which set us back a bit.

What was really frustrating, however, was that we had 2 games in hand ... and it was still mathematically in our hands.   Our 2 games in hand were winnable ones against lowly Grimsby Town and Orient.

After the Norwich game, we had 5 games left.

We beat Barnsley away 2-0 on the Tuesday night, and were back on track ... although Norwich also won the following night.

It was still in our hands and 1000's of us piled down to Watford who were about to get promoted.  But they beat us 3-1, so we were back deflated again ... especially as Norwich had won again.  But strangely we were actually still in with a good chance.   

We were 6 points behind, and a 3 worse goal difference, but had 2 games in hand against lowly opposition.    Our other game was home to Shrewsbury, who were also rubbish ... whilst Norwich's last match was away to 4th-placed Sheff Wed, so there a decent chance Norwich might drop a point.   And even if they won, if we could win our 3 games, we could overtake them on goals.

Our first game in hand was on the Wednesday night at home to Grimsby.  It was a disaster!  They were scrapping for points against  relegation, and hit us for 2 sucker punches in the first half.   We got a goal back and threw everything at them, but they held on for a 2-1 win.  

So that was pretty much it for another season.  Or so it felt.  Norwich would have to lose, we would have to win our last 2 games, and catch up 4 goals.

In fact Norwich lost away at Sheff Wed 2-1 on the last Saturday.   If we had only been able to beat rubbish Shrewsbury Town at home by 2 goals say, then we would've had a Tuesday night match away to already-relegated Orient ... and a 2 goal win there would've got us promotion.     It would've been 1980 all over again.   10,000 away fans and a glorious promotion!

Suffice to say, we drew at home to Shrewsbury 0-0, and feebly slumped out the race.   In fairness, most people had given up on us really.   We only had 11500 at the game, so it wasn't like we really believed we could do it.

The last match away to Orient?    We got stuffed 3-0 in front of 2000 fans ...

• Like 1

On 16/08/2019 at 21:52, Vlad the Fox said:

Thought this was class from atleti fans, heard this Leicester chant start and looked across at the atleti fans only yards from me and they were all giving it full pelt. In fact I found the Spanish fans sporting as a couple of minutes after the final whistle the Seville fans gave us a round of applause.

The amount of times they've paid off refs a little sing song is the least they can do. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MPH said:

@davieG I recking you are that gobby looking one with the Santa hat on ..

😁

Hmm I may have been a gobby twat

But I'd never be seen in a hat like that

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

26755438_2015-12-31_Peter-Shilton-takes-a-big-glug-o.jpg

Peter Shilton takes a big glug of Champagne as Leicester City celebrate winning the Second Division in April 1971

26940486_2004-11-20_Alan-Birchenall-right-and-Leic.jpg

Alan Birchenall (right) and Leicester City team-mate Keith Weller , enjoying a glass of milk after signing for Leicester City in 1971

0_Leicester-City-manager-Jimmy-Bloomfield.jpg

Leicester City manager Jimmy Bloomfield signs autographs for fans outside Filbert Street. 29th July 1971

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

May be an image of 9 people

Alan Woollett - Leicester City FC

Testimonial Evening, Bailey's Club, Leicester

(Leicester City Official Match Day Magazine, April 12th 1977)

5 hours ago, davieG said:

May be an image of 9 people

Alan Woollett - Leicester City FC

Testimonial Evening, Bailey's Club, Leicester

(Leicester City Official Match Day Magazine, April 12th 1977)

Mark Wallington, Alan Woollett, Dennis Rofe, Brian Alderson (RIP), Jon Sammels, Steve Sims.