Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

World Football Thread 19/20

On 13/07/2020 at 13:05, Walkers said:

Does @MC Prussian or anybody else follow Norwegian football who can explain who Bodo Glimt are and why they are beating most teams by a good 3 or 4 goals every game? Certain they were a second tier side a few years ago, I know they did well last year but thought it was a bit Leicester 15/16 (or Aug-Dec 2019...)

Bit of a yoyo club but they've won 9 Norwegian cups so they've always been around. They've got a decent youth set up and it's just clicking at the minute by the looks of things with their manager. I went to Vålerenga vs Lillestrøm last year and I've followed the Eliteserien ever since

• Thanks 1

Obviously can't speak for any Feyenoord fans and they of course know their club more than anyone else ever could. 

But their stadium is shite. It has nothing to it apart from a bit of character where their fan graffiti is and their ultras bar is in one part of the stadium. It's just a concrete bowl on the inside and looks terrible from the outside. Much like many Italian stadiums are falling apart, so is De Kuip. It's no wonder Ajax are streets ahead of them considering it's not that far from Rotterdam and the facilities are far more advanced and more aesthetically pleasing. 

12 hours ago, StanSP said:

Obviously can't speak for any Feyenoord fans and they of course know their club more than anyone else ever could. 

But their stadium is shite. It has nothing to it apart from a bit of character where their fan graffiti is and their ultras bar is in one part of the stadium. It's just a concrete bowl on the inside and looks terrible from the outside. Much like many Italian stadiums are falling apart, so is De Kuip. It's no wonder Ajax are streets ahead of them considering it's not that far from Rotterdam and the facilities are far more advanced and more aesthetically pleasing. 

Reading that article I'd say one of the fans' main concerns besides attachment to De Kuip is the fact they simply can't afford it - some of the figures listed are astronomical.

Tricky balancing act to please everyone when the stadium is so iconic, current state of disrepair or not. The plans look really impressive tbh but I hadn't really heard of the Feyenoord City project, last I'd read they were going to tart-up the current stadium - but even that can backfire (see Bologna's cheap looking renovation plans for the Renato Dell'Ara) - knocking something down is probably preferable to doing a lick of paint job if it's going to look half-arsed / unsympathetic.

Feyenoord do not have the money to pull that off. Even your fans who can see the club needs to evolve knows that it is a huge task to get that level of finance. They will commit themselves to a financial black hole. 

I'd count myself as a progressive and liberal but football stadiums are community assets. The modernisation has been to consulted and planned with the fans; it's their domain, their landscape of creativity. No club wants an off the peg stadium - they want something unique to themselves. 

Some clubs have done it well - Atalanta, Juventus, Sociedad, countless German clubs or even the likes of Orlando City or Los Angeles FC. In this example, Dutch clubs don't have a great history of departing their old grounds and providing something their fans are comfortable with. It was a bit more easier for Ajax to make a change as they constantly yo-yo'ed between grounds within the capital and the fans were happy to finally have a consistent home. 

Purely on an aesthetics point of view, if the new De Kuip had a tub like roof, it would be a hit or the new stadium in Milan retained a nod to the four corners or roof design.  

Watching Lecce vs Parma on Freesports as Lecce are the last leg in my accy. Losing 2-1 (obviously) at the minute having just pulled a goal back. They're playing well tbf against a Parma side with nothing to play for. Think Lecce need a win and for Genoa to not win to stay up

2-2!!!

Edited by Walkers

5 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Watching Lecce vs Parma on Freesports as Lecce are the last leg in my accy. Losing 2-1 (obviously) at the minute having just pulled a goal back. They're playing well tbf against a Parma side with nothing to play for. Think Lecce need a win and for Genoa to not win to stay up

2-2!!!

Should be ahead!

That chance they missed shortly before one of their goals was terrible. 

I'm hoping they don't hear about the Genoa score. Been entertaining so far and want that to continue.

• Like 1