Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

World Football Thread 19/20

1 hour ago, shen said:

They've cashed in massively here. It's a large sum for a player who has never been prolific anywhere. Pacey and a work horse, sure, but for £15m they probably have a cushion should they get relegated.

I'm pretty sure they'd rather stay up in La Liga than cash in on Braithwaite. And they don't exactly seem happy about it. I like Spain as a nation but their football authorities are utterly rotten.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I'm pretty sure they'd rather stay up in La Liga than cash in on Braithwaite. And they don't exactly seem happy about it. I like Spain as a nation but their football authorities are utterly rotten.

Of course, but £15m for a bottom La Liga club is a huge amount. I'm sure they're grinning through their teeth here. From a Boro reject to a £15m sell having been moderately successful is something they likely never expected - proven by their relatively low release clause by Spanish standards. Yeah, the timing isn't great for them, but on the flipside, Barcelona would never ever have bought him in the first place if it wasn't for these weird rules and their desperation.

11 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Yeah, I read he fell out with the manager at Middlesbrough. One should always listen to both sides of the story, but what was his reputation with Esbjerg back in the days?

He was still very much a raw prospect back in those days. It doesn't take a world beater to make an impression in the Superliga and the move to Toulouse was seen as a big step up. The pace was there, but the killer touch never was. He became a regular for them, but he never set the league alight or anything.
For the Danish national team he's also been in and out and had his controversial moments. He's headstrong and doesn't mind going against the grain - something which is frowned upon here - but this is arguably the mindset that has brought him his success.

20 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Blame the Spanish FA.

I find Leganes' reaction a bit odd. Sure, it's a heavy blow to them. But please tell me they didn't know that law existed. Otherwise, their reaction would be rather foolish.

I guess they just dont expect it to happen or his buy out clause would have been higher.

it just seems massively unfair, i cant believe that rule actually exists.

On 21/02/2020 at 12:42, Cujek said:

I guess they just dont expect it to happen or his buy out clause would have been higher.

it just seems massively unfair, i cant believe that rule actually exists.

The rule is a joke, the fact Barca were granted use of it is an even bigger joke. They've started with Messi and Griezmann today and Fati is on the bench with Braithwaite. They didn't need anyone.

5 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

What happened to the Hoffenheim/Bayern match? Saw Bayern were up 6-0 and now it's showing 'abandoned'.

Apparently a sign was shown up by Bayern fans saying 'son of a bitch' towards Hoffenheim's manager (no idea why).

Bayern boss went over to the fans to take sign/banner down. Players have gone off.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spacemunky said:

What happened to the Hoffenheim/Bayern match? Saw Bayern were up 6-0 and now it's showing 'abandoned'.

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Apparently a sign was shown up by Bayern fans saying 'son of a bitch' towards Hoffenheim's manager (no idea why).

Bayern boss went over to the fans to take sign/banner down. Players have gone off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51690403

Hoffenheim and Bayern Munich played out one of the most bizarre conclusions in the history of football as they passed the ball between each other for 13 minutes after a long delay for an offensive banner in the crowd.

So it goes back a few years back when Dortmund displayed messages against Hopp. BVB don’t travel at all to Hoffenheim as a result. 

Gladbach did similar last week but the event was condemned and the game stopped. 

Bayern fans basically doing the same to reinforce the criticism 

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

It's criticism aimed at Hoffenheim's owner Dietmar Hopp (founder of the SAP business software, so a billionaire today - one of the richest people in Germany).

He's been very active in social causes ever since he retired from the company and yes, he did help Hoffenheim make all the way up to the Bundesliga. What's different here is that he's been financing the club he once played for for decades, long before they were any good or known: His support dates back as early as 1989.

I'm much more critical of a club such as RB Leipzig. Not much of a fan of Hoffenheim myself, but Hopp doesn't deserve that antagonism.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

It's criticism aimed at Hoffenheim's owner Dietmar Hopp (founder of the SAP business software, so a billionaire today - one of the richest people in Germany).

He's been very active in social causes ever since he retired from the company and yes, he did help Hoffenheim make all the way up to the Bundesliga. What's different here is that he's been financing the club he once played for for decades, long before they were any good or known: His support dates back as early as 1989.

I'm much more critical of a club such as RB Leipzig. Not much of a fan of Hoffenheim myself, but Hopp doesn't deserve that antagonism.

I’ve seen the end to the game talked about as akin to a stand against racism but there’s a missing link for me that I can’t seem to find in any of the articles I’ve read.

Is this simply a stand against non-fan majority ownership or something else? Is there a racial element to it?

Although a picture of the guy in the firing sight of a gun is distasteful, it seems like the message/point is valid if it is purely about ownership.

6 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

I’ve seen the end to the game talked about as akin to a stand against racism but there’s a missing link for me that I can’t seem to find in any of the articles I’ve read.

Is this simply a stand against non-fan majority ownership or something else? Is there a racial element to it?

Although a picture of the guy in the firing sight of a gun is distasteful, it seems like the message/point is valid if it is purely about ownership.

Well, Dortmund fans are banned from attending games at Hoffenheim in the next two years. I bet they're not overly happy about that.

The irony being that the Bayern fans joining in the anti-Hopp chorus are doing so on a financially very healthy basis. Their club is the richest in the league. Hypocrisy, eh?

I can't really fully wrap my head around the issue, either. It's weird for them to attack Hopp on a personal level, it only reinforces the negative image of certain fan groups and ultras.

I suppose they are using Hopp as an example for "forces" on a higher level that they perceive to be responsible for killing the fan scene.

As far as I can tell, Hopp has done nothing wrong or controversial, it's the fans that come across as somewhat entitled or detached from reality.

Sexist, violent choreos and placards aren't the way forward, these groups are seeking controversy, when they ought to opt for creativity instead.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Well, Dortmund fans are banned from attending games at Hoffenheim in the next two years. I bet they're not overly happy about that.

The irony being that the Bayern fans joining in the anti-Hopp chorus are doing so on a financially very healthy basis. Their club is the richest in the league. Hypocrisy, eh?

I can't really fully wrap my head around the issue, either. It's weird for them to attack Hopp on a personal level, it only reinforces the negative image of certain fan groups and ultras.

I suppose they are using Hopp as an example for "forces" on a higher level that they perceive to be responsible for killing the fan scene.

As far as I can tell, Hopp has done nothing wrong or controversial, it's the fans that come across as somewhat entitled or detached from reality.

Sexist, violent choreos and placards aren't the way forward, these groups are seeking controversy, when they ought to opt for creativity instead.

But it's not just Bayern doing it, it's just ultra groups who think they are bigger than their club. Many clubs did it, they are obviously working between themselves as it happened all over the country this weekend. I don't agree with it either though. Yes they are well financed but so what, like Man City, they still have true fans (and in fact more true fans than clubs like Man City).

Hopp is a precious little bellend. Installed really high tech mics in the away end to catch who was chanting about him. "Son of a whore" is more offensive in German nthan English but it's sung about Dortmund and Timo Werner everyweek. He's apparently friends with the higher ups in the DFB too, stopping a game because a few  'nasty' chants is pathetic.  

If we sang Sheikh Mansour's a sports washing **** nobody would be saying our fans think we're bigger than the club or unjustified in our actions