Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Qwerty

Why aren’t we linked with any strikers?

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

I think Rodgers will be better qualified to make the decision than us.  I can only speak for my club but as I said, I'd be wary of writing anyone off as he turned a few players who the fans were crying out to get rid of into world beaters (by our standards anyway) overnight.

I'm sure it's been well reported (in Gerrard's book I think) that he knew Balotelli was a huge gamble before he signed him and he said as much to Gerrard as they signed him.  Rodgers strikes me as the sort that quickly learns his lesson so I don't know if that's the best example as a reference point.

You're absolutely right, it was a huge gamble. When the likes of Mancini and Mourhinio couldn't get Balotelli to conform then for me, it shows a bit of personal egotism by Rodgers by taking that risk at the expense of Liverpool as a team as a whole, in fact it was commented on in the media at the time. The gamble didn't come off, he wasn't anywhere near as good as he thought he was, he looked a complete pratt when interviewed in the media and hopefully, unless he's still just full of the blarney and ego he will have learned from that hugely.

Nacho hasn't featured much under Ranieri, Shakespeare, Appleton or Puel  (albeit some of those tenures were very short) and there was good reason for that. He's been here 2 years and had his opportunities,  he's not just been unfortunate. Likewise, Rodgers in fairness hasn't played him either except for the odd 10 minute cameo substitute appearance, again presumably for good reason. Now if he's said certain things to the media in the hope that he can get a tune out of him eventually I respect that. But ... only if there's a third striker option as well because if Vardy got injured, without his goals, we could sink like a stone. With genuine respect,  Celtic are in a much stronger position that Leicester. If Celtics main striker got injured for the season, they might at worst have the indignity of finishing second to someone whereas without a backup for Vardys goals, we could easily fall into relegation problems. So for me, if Rodgers sees Nacho as a rehabilitation project I've no problem with that and wish him well but, we as a team can't take any potential risks because of any managerial ego trips. People have short memories,  I have a lot of time thus far for what Rodgers appears to be doing here but when he lost Suarez at Liverpool it started to go down hill very quickly and they couldn't get rid of Rodgers quick enough. When Celtic hired him, he'd been out of work for months and there wasn't exactly a queue of Premiership teams after his managerial signature. He did brilliantly there but most half decent managers should do and I  don't mean that offensively. By your own mouth I believe, his choice of Congerton is a strange one. Get another young striker in as potential to fight for the position behind Vardy, to bring through for the future and in cup games or when the main man needs a rest and I'm fine. Nacho probably needs that competition as well. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
Spelling

I actually think we need to sign two strikers this summer, not least because we need to give ourselves the option of playing with two upfront. 

We are desperately short of someone who can hold the ball up and offer an aerial threat, and this should be the priority.

Then ideally we would sign a youngish striker who would be content to play his way into the side over the course of the next few seasons. 

I can’t see a future here for Slimani and Iheanacho really. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

I actually think we need to sign two strikers this summer, not least because we need to give ourselves the option of playing with two upfront. 

We are desperately short of someone who can hold the ball up and offer an aerial threat, and this should be the priority.

Then ideally we would sign a youngish striker who would be content to play his way into the side over the course of the next few seasons. 

I can’t see a future here for Slimani and Iheanacho really. 

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

BR has already said he's not spending money on a lamppost.

Telling you guys, this is the fella we should be going for..... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Had a look at this and after a long introduction of him hugging many blokes, he's one of those odd one's that could be really good or a complete flop. I say that because for most of the goals there's an element of fortune together with the fact that he looks a bit clumsy, haphazard and not a natural. Having said that, I always think Thomas Muller at Bayern always looks a bit clumsy and he's not too shabby is he! A good goal against Juventus but whilst there was obviously  a bit of skill involved it looked a bit unnatural?  Most of the goals you would have to question the quality of the defending, a bit Championship,  but he got there nevertheless. He's an odd one, but at the same time you can't help but definitely see something! He's a big strong livewire and not just a lump and would certainly offer more than Nacho. Bearing in mind the pace and defending in the Premiership he could be anything from an Akinbyi to a cult hero very quickly. Definitely a consideration. 

3 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Reminds me way too much of the Slimani signing, 28 years old and they want over 40m for him, recipe for disaster imo

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Had a look at this and after a long introduction of him hugging many blokes, he's one of those odd one's that could be really good or a complete flop. I say that because for most of the goals there's an element of fortune together with the fact that he looks a bit clumsy, haphazard and not a natural. Having said that, I always think Thomas Muller at Bayern always looks a bit clumsy and he's not too shabby is he! A good goal against Juventus but whilst there was obviously  a bit of skill involved it looked a bit unnatural?  Most of the goals you would have to question the quality of the defending, a bit Championship,  but he got there nevertheless. He's an odd one, but at the same time you can't help but definitely see something! He's a big strong livewire and not just a lump and would certainly offer more than Nacho. Bearing in mind the pace and defending in the Premiership he could be anything from an Akinbyi to a cult hero very quickly. Definitely a consideration. 

I totally see what you are saying. He looks awkward and when he runs, it's hard to tell where his legs end and his arms begin. I think hes onenof these guys that are deceptively quick. As for the defending, its Italy mate, the only thing they do well is defend but I can see why he would look like the type of player to flop. I just dont believe someone gets that sort of scoring record by accident in seria A

57 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I totally see what you are saying. He looks awkward and when he runs, it's hard to tell where his legs end and his arms begin. I think hes onenof these guys that are deceptively quick. As for the defending, its Italy mate, the only thing they do well is defend but I can see why he would look like the type of player to flop. I just dont believe someone gets that sort of scoring record by accident in seria A

I don't think Italian defences are quite what they were bar a very few teams and the pace of their game is certainly much slower overall. Going only on what I've read on his profile however, no sooner do people seem to buy him than they appear to want to loan him out which is strange. There may at 28 yrs be an issue also if we intended to go down the root of buying a younger striker who was willing to learn with limited appearances for this season and gradually getting a lot more next year say. Likewise, like the Harry Kane situation,if you buy a player of a certain age, are they going to want to sit on the bench and pay second fiddle. Its a difficult job for the club in fairness to recruit the right man, but we just can't rely on Nacho to be our only option if anything happens to Vardy.

5 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I don't think Italian defences are quite what they were bar a very few teams and the pace of their game is certainly much slower overall. Going only on what I've read on his profile however, no sooner do people seem to buy him than they appear to want to loan him out which is strange. There may at 28 yrs be an issue also if we intended to go down the root of buying a younger striker who was willing to learn with limited appearances for this season and gradually getting a lot more next year say. Likewise, like the Harry Kane situation,if you buy a player of a certain age, are they going to want to sit on the bench and pay second fiddle. Its a difficult job for the club in fairness to recruit the right man, but we just can't rely on Nacho to be our only option if anything happens to Vardy.

I wouldn't rely on Nacho to wash the rest of the lads kit. 

16 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Agreed, he'd arrive at the washing machine late, trip over it, then look annoyed at all the other machines in the launderette!

He'd somehow manage to get caught offside. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LinekersApples said:

Oooooh his name is Leonardo,

Leicester's Number 23,

Yes he cost a ###### fortune,

but he's returning and he'll play for free

http://sportwitness.co.uk/strange-claim-player-set-leicester-return-year-leaving-permanent-deal/ 

Wasnt there confusion over whether deal was permanent or not? Sure we said it was permanent but they said t was only a loan? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, weller54 said:

We've already been rinsed enough by Manchester City! 

Well they didn't put us through the mangle ,on the pitch,off the pitch they really did put us through a spin drier.

let's face it Nacho lef us us on soft fabrics,he couldn't beat a washerboard...

10 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Wasnt there confusion over whether deal was permanent or not? Sure we said it was permanent but they said t was only a loan? 

Yes, depending upon what you read. 

Some say loan. Others say permanent transfer.

11 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Well they didn't put us through the mangle ,on the pitch,off the pitch they really did put us through a spin drier.

let's face it Nacho lef us us on soft fabrics,he couldn't beat a washerboard...

I don't find any comfort in that. 

3 minutes ago, weller54 said:

I don't find any comfort in that. 

Well a bit of DAZn ,could turn the Tide,he!p us Surf to top 6,nacho should win more Ariel battles,giving us OMO moments..

Tramatic periods,Fans will then be Radiant,

Our strikers with Rodgers will have a great Formil..Every weekend to end up FAB,created from our owners from a Tropical Paradise...

Somebody else will have to squeeze in a Persil pun..unless he becomes our next S.American addition,leaving us in a froth

21 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

BR has already said he's not spending money on a lamppost.

Just because a player can hold the ball up and head it doesn’t make him a ‘lamppost’ though. 

Look at Spurs against Ajax in the CL second leg - bringing Llorente on was a big reason they went through. 

I think it would be a massive mistake not to have someone in the squad who could play a similar role for us when required. 

There were loads of games last year when teams sat deep and it was clear Vardy needed more support. 

1 hour ago, leicesterseddon said:

Just because a player can hold the ball up and head it doesn’t make him a ‘lamppost’ though. 

Look at Spurs against Ajax in the CL second leg - bringing Llorente on was a big reason they went through. 

I think it would be a massive mistake not to have someone in the squad who could play a similar role for us when required. 

There were loads of games last year when teams sat deep and it was clear Vardy needed more support. 

spot on.

Llorente's performance in that game alone justified his signing.  It was one of the best examples of hold up play and utilising a player who is good in the air, to get the desired outcome, that I have seen in a long time. 

Finding a player who can do it so well, and is happy to do it from the bench or as a tactical option against specific oppo is one problem. Having fans who understand it and appreciate the dirty work, and that such a player won't be a goal machine is another.

40 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

spot on.

Llorente's performance in that game alone justified his signing.  It was one of the best examples of hold up play and utilising a player who is good in the air, to get the desired outcome, that I have seen in a long time. 

Finding a player who can do it so well, and is happy to do it from the bench or as a tactical option against specific oppo is one problem. Having fans who understand it and appreciate the dirty work, and that such a player won't be a goal machine is another.

Llorente is a free agent too I think? Gerrimin.