Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Qwerty

Why aren’t we linked with any strikers?

Guest SO1
8 minutes ago, TK95 said:

That's the best article I've seen come out of the Mercury. All Quotes and no BS.

No wonder Rodgers has such a reputation as a man manager. I can feel the belief he has in his players. Imagine if you had a boss that inspired and believed in you like this.

Giving everything. Running thru brick walls. Energy like that can create some crazy good shit. Positivity and belief. I needed that.

22 hours ago, StevieB said:

We are ?? #Ulloa 

Screenshot_20190607-170433.jpg

I would take him back all day long.  His contribution to the title win was Vastly underrated by many. Knew his role, was happy in it gave us a plan b and never let us down

• Like 1

3 hours ago, urban fox said:

I would take him back all day long.  His contribution to the title win was Vastly underrated by many. Knew his role, was happy in it gave us a plan b and never let us down

Leo would be out of contract with us anyway, his contract extension took him to July 2019 free agent for commencement of new season.

• 1 month later...

Even though there is 4 weeks to the new season I’m surprised we haven’t been linked or bought a striker, Vardy is 33 next year and has been getting niggling groin injuries over the past couple of years, lose him then we become reliant on Iheanacho, and though he is still young it’s a leap of faith he will come good.

8 minutes ago, dayday said:

Even though there is 4 weeks to the new season I’m surprised we haven’t been linked or bought a striker, Vardy is 33 next year and has been getting niggling groin injuries over the past couple of years, lose him then we become reliant on Iheanacho, and though he is still young it’s a leap of faith he will come good.

Bearing in mind, rightly or wrongly that the club appears to want to persist with Iheanacho, did you miss the signing of Perez? Amongst other positions he is known as being able to play the role of striker. We are allegedly still in the market for a winger and some think another midfielder. Add your striker request to our already surplus to requirements players and we'll be commencing the season with a cast reminiscent of an epic feature film.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

Bearing in mind, rightly or wrongly that the club appears to want to persist with Iheanacho, did you miss the signing of Perez? Amongst other positions he is known as being able to play the role of striker. We are allegedly still in the market for a winger and some think another midfielder. Add your striker request to our already surplus to requirements players and we'll be commencing the season with a cast reminiscent of an epic feature film.

I didn’t add Perez because isn’t he more of a no 10 and a right sided player, I don’t think Newcastle played him as a striker last season.

As for Iheanacho we have to hope that is just a confidence issue because on last seasons games he looked all at sea.

Seriously hope we do sign a striker up. My biggest fear with this side is a Vardy injury would be nice to have an adequate back up and someone that can come on in the last 20 and cause a defence some issues.

15 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I believe that he's played in all of those positions. The fact remains though that with the 30-50m fans are calling for for a winger plus 15-20m for yet another midfielder and the same possibly again for a striker, we're now talking about another investment of up to 90m. Can you honestly see that happening?  Would you think it worth it for half of the money to be sat on the bench 'just in case'? A reasonable case can probably be made for each one of those positions but are we going to keep everyone happy, are we going to stunt the development of some of our highly promising young 'free' talent like Barnes and Choudhury (possibly others) ? Do we not need to get rid of some of our surplus to requirement players first. If we're not careful we'll be again falling into the trap like many other clubs of buying risky foreign mediocrity rather than slowly building a team of quality and excellence. I believe we need to trust our owners to do their thing as quickly or as slowly as they deem appropriate. They're doing a good job in fairness I think and are probably already on the case with some of this but we'll never probably know who they have or haven't gone for. Who saw Perez on the horizon ?

I'm sure that part of the logic in buying Perez was the fact that he can play as a striker in the event of Vardy being injured or suspended. As he can play in other positions too and will get plenty of game time, we won't have to worry about keeping another unhappy, expensive back-up striker on the bench. We already have Iheanacho and - if he comes back - Slimani to perform that role for us.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I'm sure that part of the logic in buying Perez was the fact that he can play as a striker in the event of Vardy being injured or suspended. As he can play in other positions too and will get plenty of game time, we won't have to worry about keeping another unhappy, expensive back-up striker on the bench. We already have Iheanacho and - if he comes back - Slimani to perform that role for us.

Absolutely,  appears to be a well thought out transfer.

• Like 1

Perez sounds like he is our back up striker along with Iheanacho should Vardy not play or be taken off, it's just Perez may well play alongside him either as a forward or a winger, very much like Son and Moura do at Spurs. I would much rather we focused on another winger than yet another back up striker who invariably won't play.

For all the fans that keep insisting we need a new striker, what do you envisage if we get one? What would make it worthwhile? 5-8 goals as a super sub throughout the season? Somehow displace Vardy and score 15+ a season? The thing is Perez could score 10-15 anyway and if we get another winger who does the same then Vardy, Maddison and Tielemans scoring at the rate they have proven to do previously would see us in a much better position to challenge for the top 6.

• Like 3

4-5-1 all day long next season. Vardy is the main man, Ian will come in when required as sub or when Vards is injured or needs resting. We have Perez and Gray who can fill in their too, plus who knows whats happening with Slimani. For me, the priority now is to keep hold of Maguire and maybe (although it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't) add another wide player with Albrighton getting on a bit more and Gray not really showing his full potential when he really should be by now.

Vardy started 30 games last year. He was on the bench 4 times when Puel was experimenting, so he was available for 34 games in total.

He missed 2 games due to the Wolves suspension and was only injured for 2 games.

I think it’s realistic to expect a similar output from Vardy again. Therefore, I’d rather we focused on a creative 8 and another winger because as others have said, we have Perez to cover the 2/3 games where Vardy isn’t available. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I believe that he's played in all of those positions. The fact remains though that with the 30-50m fans are calling for for a winger plus 15-20m for yet another midfielder and the same possibly again for a striker, we're now talking about another investment of up to 90m. Can you honestly see that happening?  Would you think it worth it for half of the money to be sat on the bench 'just in case'? A reasonable case can probably be made for each one of those positions but are we going to keep everyone happy, are we going to stunt the development of some of our highly promising young 'free' talent like Barnes and Choudhury (possibly others) ? Do we not need to get rid of some of our surplus to requirement players first. If we're not careful we'll be again falling into the trap like many other clubs of buying risky foreign mediocrity rather than slowly building a team of quality and excellence. I believe we need to trust our owners to do their thing as quickly or as slowly as they deem appropriate. They're doing a good job in fairness I think and are probably already on the case with some of this but we'll never probably know who they have or haven't gone for. Who saw Perez on the horizon ?

You forgot the 70mil we already spent. Add 90mil. Subtract 80mil for Harry. Hull City's cut subtract 10mil.

And I haven't included the contract buyouts and wage payouts from all the players we have to move on. Is that everything? :frusty::)

On 08/06/2019 at 15:45, urban fox said:

In hindsight how much better off would we be if we kept him here as Vardy's reserve.

We wouldn't have signed Slimani or Iheanacho and he offered us something different. He wasn't the greatest footballer in the world but was great in the air, could hold the ball up and was a good finisher. Like Glenn Murray he offers something and will age well due to his style of play. 

I'm not convinced Vardy can play well with a striker partner. At least we've not seen it often. For a very brief time he played well with Ian but apart from that the only time was with Shinji, and Shinji was playing in midfield. I'm happy with Perez in that regard: plays on the wing and can fill in for Vardy if needed.

On 08/06/2019 at 15:45, urban fox said:

You'd really take Ulloa back now? I loved Ulloa whilst he was here and yes he played a huge part in the title win, but we aren't going to be aiming for top 6 bringing him back. We don't  need another striker, Vardy will play most games and Brendan obviously sees Perez and Iheanacho as decent back up. Iheanacho hasn't had the best time here so far but if anyone can get the best out of him, it'll be Brendan. Next summer is when we need to go all out for a top quality striker as this will probably be the last season we can rely on Vardy getting 15+ goals  

Edited by jayfox26
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1