Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Best Vocalist

Lots of people on here with a wide range of musical taste. So who's the best Vocalist of all time? Or at least who's your favourite? 

I like listening to vocal tracks of artists to really gage how good they are vocally. Some of the ones I've listened to and been amazed by are Freddie Mercury (obviously), Morrisey and Kurt Cobain. Guess it all depends on what style you like. 

Saw something on Facebook saying some scientists did some tests and determined Freddie Mercury had the most perfect singing voice. Not sure what tests they were

Edited by foxfanazer

38 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Yes Mark Lanegan!

Mark Hollis?

Tom Waits?

Jeff Buckley?

Female vocalist is harder.

Kate Bush?

Beth Gibbons

PJ Harvey?

Liz Frazer?

Margo Timmins?

Julianne Regan?

Alison Shaw?

Karin Dreijer?

Harriet Wheeler?

Eva Spence?

Amy Lee? (I don't particularly like Evanescence, but she is an amazing singer - unfortunately they let some bloke shout over them. Never understood it, it's like, "do you mind?! I was enjoying that!")

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

Male: Sam Cooke, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Otis Redding, Freddie Mercury, John Lennon, Frank Sinatra, Frankie Valli, Carl Wilson, Joey Ramone

Female: Dusty Springfield, Aretha Franklin, Ronnie Spector, Janis Joplin, Etta James, Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday

Edited by Dr Marco
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dr Marco said:

Male: Sam Cooke, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Otis Redding, Freddie Mercury, John Lennon, Frank Sinatra, Frankie Valli

Female: Dusty Springfield, Aretha Franklin, Ronnie Spector, Janis Joplin

Ooo...forgot those two Sam Cooke probably had the finest voice

Don't get the Freddie Mercury love though :whistle:

On a personal level it's John Lennon for me. His voice had that "rough" feel to it which I like.

But if I wasn't being biased then I'd go with Frank Sinatra. Probably the best male vocalist of all time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Marco said:

Male: Sam Cooke, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Otis Redding, Freddie Mercury, John Lennon, Frank Sinatra, Frankie Valli, Carl Wilson, Joey Ramone

Female: Dusty Springfield, Aretha Franklin, Ronnie Spector, Janis Joplin, Etta James, Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday

Love these 

• Like 1

It's Chris Cornell isn't it, really. I mean, this was when his voice was *****ed.*

Mercury was a great showman but his voice does nothing for me, not even in the same league as Cornell. I wouldn't even bracket Mercury in the same frame as contemporary pop artists its cool not to mention, Mariah Carey (for example) has a ****ing phenomenal voice really.

• Like 2

I really like listening to any vocals only track of Kurt Cobain. His screams and rawness in his chords are amazing I think.

Especially from 1:30 onwards in Lounge Act

Best all round singer is Freddie Mercury. The notes he can reach is unbelievable. Would love to have seen him live

17 hours ago, peterborofox said:

I really like listening to any vocals only track of Kurt Cobain. His screams and rawness in his chords are amazing I think.

Especially from 1:30 onwards in Lounge Act

Best all round singer is Freddie Mercury. The notes he can reach is unbelievable. Would love to have seen him live

The snobs will discount Cobain but for what they were his voice was perfect. So raw but full of energy and emotion

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

The snobs will discount Cobain but for what they were his voice was perfect. So raw but full of energy and emotion

Cobain was an inspiration to a generation. A proper hero to me at the time and vocally I love how he could sing in two different voices. As you say he wasn't pitch perfect but you wouldn't want it to be in a band like that. 

• Like 1