Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Best Vocalist

1 hour ago, Nickfosse said:

Been thinking about this last couple of days, and not sure how eclectic we can be, but Luciano Pavarotti. 

If we're going down that road surely it has to be Andrea Bocelli

Edit: that was a mistake rewatching that. Teared up lol

With Bocelli, the presentation and then an almighty downpour of rain that day was almost biblical 

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

If we're going down that road surely it has to be Andrea Bocelli

Edit: that was a mistake rewatching that. Teared up lol

With Bocelli, the presentation and then an almighty downpour of rain that day was almost biblical 

I love Bocelli’s performance that day and his voice is excellent, but Pavarotti is very much the King of the tenors by quite a distance technically. That said with music, each to their own preferences. No right or wrong of course. 

Edited by Nickfosse
  • Like 1

Great topic, was going to start a similar myself called "favourite singing voice" or something but this is probably better.  I am answering here in terms of what are my favourite voices to listen to are rather than "best front men/women" as Freddie pretty much tops that.  I personally only truly love bands/singers if I like their voices.  Some of my personal favourites are Roy Orbison, Scott Walker, Kevin Rowland, Gene Pitney, Lou Reed, Stuart Staples (Tindersticks), Leonard Coehn, Lee Hazelwood, Otis Redding, Frankie Lymon, Hazel O'Connor, Ian Curtis, Roger Whittaker, etc.

Fully aware taste is subjective.  :)

Just realised that for a man of 38 I don't like much recent sutff.  I am out of touch.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Numerous nominations of Chris Cornell, even a suggestion of Kurt Cobain (lul really?) and not a single mention of Eddie Vedder. Smh. 

Oh and while we're at it, Scott Weiland. 

agreed but I would rank kurt as well...not for technical reasons but just for the unique sound and passion 

George Jones.

With Merle Haggard driving. And a shit load of other country guys and gals who've been singing since they were 3 in the bus too.

Mark Lanegan's been taken (his early stuff with Screaming Trees does it for me), so if I was going down the rock route... I have a soft spot for Bill Janovitz of Buffalo Tom.

Edited by turtmcfly

I'm not a massive Oasis fan, at least in comparison to some anyway, but Liam's vocals on this makes it one of my favourite acoustic tracks ever:-

Also, in terms of just raw emotion any of Johnny Cash's late covers/song after the death of June Carter/Cash will always get me:-

Really like Hozier, Imelda May, Van Morrison and numerous other Irish artists as there's something that makes them so special. There was a Radio 2 show the other week about great Irish artists when I was driving to Edinburgh and it made the drive fly by.

Edited by David Guiza
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Raglan Road gets me every time. 

My Dad (a great singer who didn't pass on his singing genes) used to sing that one.

The Dubliners, including Luke, was the first "gig" that I went to - taken by my parents when I was about 8. I used to play their Dubliners LPs at home as a young kid.

The one that gets me now is this one - great song & purportedly Luke's final performance, when he knew he was dying of a brain tumour.

If you think of the circumstances, listen to the lyrics and look at the faces of the other blokes in the band, it breaks your heart..... :S

Had it for my Dad's funeral.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1