Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

League 1 and 2 Thread, 2019/2020

16 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Wycombe v Oxford for Championship - be some feat for Wycombe and a return to their glory days for Oxford 

Shame no fans can be present at the final, as it would've been a good Derby (only around a 40-minute drive between both places).

• Like 1

Really excited to see a Wycombe v Oxford final, Wycombe have never been (in the championship) there before and Oxford haven't been for about 25 years.

Edited by Tuna
  • Like 2

Whoever wins at Wembley it will be a remarkable change of fortune for either. Oxford were in Conference in 2010/11 and Wycombe escaped the drop by goal difference 3 seasons later. I know season ticket holders from both clubs - none were actually looking forward to promotion, fearing a drop down next season. Even during this season Oxford have been threatened with administration over unpaid bills whilst there has been some stability at Wycombe - Rob Couhig ((fom USA) bought a majority stake from the Supporters Trust in February. He had earlier 'invested' money to ensure most of the squad were not loan players. Over the last few seasons, Gareth Ainsworth (manager) largely relied on loan players, sometimes hardly having 11 players until a few weeks before the season start. He has done a remarkable job. 

If Oxford win, it would be nice to think the owner of the stadium (Firroz Kassam) would either sell the ground, or build a fourth stand. If he were to do this, I could see another owner taking on Oxford as there is greater potential in the club than Wycombe - greater fan base.(It is only over last 2 seasons Wycombe have averaged over 5K fans, whilst Oxford regularly have crowds of over 7k) Having said that, in current circumstances, it does seem unlikely anyone would want to but a club with no prospect of fans in the ground anytime soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

Akinfenwa reportedly was the victim of racial abuse at Fleetwood.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53338603

He was calling himself a water buffalo on social media earlier this year, cba to find the post but I remember he put a picture up of one. We probably won't ever know if the insult was meant in a racist way, but I imagine whoever said it will be found guilty regardless.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

He was calling himself a water buffalo on social media earlier this year, cba to find the post but I remember he put a picture up of one. We probably won't ever know if the insult was meant in a racist way, but I imagine whoever said it will be found guilty regardless.

So, Oxford or Wycombe for promotion later on?

Don't mind either, personally, but am going for Oxford - it would be a very fitting end of the season after the death of their legend, Jim Smith, who won promotion twice with them.

For anyone interested an interesting article on Wycombe:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/13/gareth-ainsworth-has-made-wycombe-unlikely-wembley-headliners

It shows how Ainsworth can get best out of young and old players - 3 players have 2000 appearances between them in league, and bringing on a teenager who scored in semis.  No doubt he has done a great job and very underrated; particularly as he has had ro rebuild a team every season due to loan players (this season being first when the majority are Wycombe payers).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Can't really lose either way with this one, didn't want Portsmouth or Joey Barton up, just hope she's a rip snorter of a showpiece

My thoughts entirely!

Plus both teams are fairly local to me its nice to have a local team guaranteed promotion

• Like 1

Would be delighted if Wycombe got promoted to the championship, love it when teams that have never been there before (or not for many years) get there (Yeovil, Colchester, Scunthorpe etc).