Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

League 1 and 2 Thread, 2019/2020

Got to feel for the likes of Peterborough.

I personally would’ve extended the play offs to six teams and have a prelim round like Scotland. 

5th v 8th - winner plays 4th

6th v 7th - winner plays 3rd 

League Two relegation still up in the air too. Macclesfield facing possible sanction which would put them dead last, plus no closer to finding out if a team can come up from the conference. You’d think they’d promote one to fill Bury’s place. 

My old boss is a Tranmere fan and made a very fair point that his team aren't allowed to play on and fight relegation while those in the play-offs are allowed to play on to decide who replaces them. Either all games are safe to play or none of them are?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

My old boss is a Tranmere fan and made a very fair point that his team aren't allowed to play on and fight relegation while those in the play-offs are allowed to play on to decide who replaces them. Either all games are safe to play or none of them are?

This is the real and quite distasteful flaw in ending the season that way (probably not the only one). The teams in the playoffs allegedly voted against finishing the season, by implication stating that they believed it was not safe to play, even behind closed doors. They'll take their places in the playoffs though wont they lol

• Like 4

But (some of) these clubs have little money. I mentioned grounds on the previous page but on top of that clubs have players furloughed. If they were to play on then players have to go and train, so players will need to be paid.

People were complaining about the fact clubs may go bust, so paying players without any income isn't going to help them. Port Vale made a good point about this. Also they were happy to cancel the season for the bigger picture despite the fact they are about 2 points off the play offs.

Yes it's harsh on clubs in the bottom three (Tranmere more so than Southend/Bolton who have looked doomed all season) but the alternative is carrying on the season..

With relegation confirmed from the league above then three teams are needed to go up. One is quite rightly Coventry. You could make points against Rotherham but then what? You make a 8 game play off scanerio because Sunderland are "only" 3 points off Rotherham?

I'm waffling on about nothing but I'm sure every club could make a point as to why the league should still go ahead. I'm sure we may see some court cases across the divisions in the next months..

19 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

A step closer to playing Cov again:fc:

Hopefully we never play them in the Championship.

I don't really want to see them achieve the success of a promotion to the PL, but it would add the rivalry of a local derby to our fixture list. Although realistically I don't see it happening anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Exactly, should be top 3 in League 1 going up and top 4 in League 2 if the season has concluded.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Hopefully we never play them in the Championship.

I don't really want to see them achieve the success of a promotion to the PL, but it would add the rivalry of a local derby to our fixture list. Although realistically I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I don't think anyone on this Forum will disagree with your first point!

I also agree it is very unlikely they will be in PL anytime soon. They have had a remarkable season considering all 'home' games have been at St Andrews. I understand they are hopeful of returning to the Ricoh next season which would be a boost - as would keeping Mark Robins who does seem to have done a very good job. I know a season ticket holder -he is hopeful of a mid table finish next season provided the squad is kept together, with a couple of players to strengthen depth.

• Like 1

Listening and reading to a few football chairman/fans suggesting different systems for PPG and remaining games, conveniently all benefiting their club. Barry Fry for instance suggesting for each home game remaining the club get 2 points, completely irrelevant the fact Peterborough have a decent number of home games remaining of course. 

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Ipswich lol

... and after the break, we'll discuss Daniel Levy's proposal that all PL clubs "in the top half with a positive goal differential", be entered to compete in the Champions League next year.

17 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Scunthorpe appear to not be refunding tickets due to money shortage, but found their website link rather confusing.  Interesting given their owner has a net worth of ~£340mill according to some comments

Similar at Blackburn too - millionaire owners but no refunds 

On 15/06/2020 at 12:39, UniFox21 said:

Scunthorpe appear to not be refunding tickets due to money shortage, but found their website link rather confusing.  Interesting given their owner has a net worth of ~£340mill according to some comments

Scunthorpe have been looking at moving grounds too. Not sure if they've secured a site or not. Their manager turnover is big as well for a league side.

Didn't bother looking at the Cheltenham / Northampton game because I thought it was a foregone conclusion, found out when I saw some Gloucester fans taking the piss on twitter.

• Haha 2