Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

League 1 and 2 Thread, 2019/2020

20 hours ago, pds said:

Where did Oxford spring from? Thought I'd been paying attention to the league but they hadn't caught my attention at all.

With a full strength side they are capable of playing some good football. They have usually been better against teams who also want  to play football, probably the reason they have had decent decent results against PL sides in League and FA cup. They always seemed to struggle against teams who closed the game down, but recently have seemed to be able to win these games too. A good turn-around as they lost their best player (baptiste) and another (fosu) who went to Brentford just before deadline day. Marcus Brown, on loan from M'boro, looks very good and Ben Woodburn (Liverpool) is now fit after two separate injuries has kept him out nearly all season.

Their position is exceeding supporters expectations at start of season. If they can re-locate their ground, or buy-out Firoz Kassam, the owner of the 3 sided ground, there is a sufficient fan base to be a Championship club. 

PS Elliott Moore (ex City) looking increasingly good

Edited by oxford blue
new info
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Congrats to Richie Wellens, looks as if Swindon will be champions given the points per game method.

It's a bit shit for the likes of Port Vale and Bradford who are on the verge of the play offs.

Been listening to a lot of podcasts who are saying that at that level and below it's just not financially viable for the clubs to play these games with no fans. The costs involved are too high when the income from gate receipts, which they already use to live basically hand-to-mouth, will be zero. There's no £000,000,000 motivation for these clubs to continue, they'll just hemorrhage money.

League One play-offs could be extended to more clubs.

Wycombe (eighth-placed) may well be in the driving seat to try and make this option to go ahead; considering they've got a game in hand. but only a point behind third-placed Oxford..

Anyone in the know regarding promotion to division 2 ?

I would imagine with only 91 clubs in the league that Barrow will automatically be promoted but will there be another National league club come up with them & Stevenage relegated, or will Stevenage be given a reprieve?

53 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Anyone in the know regarding promotion to division 2 ?

I would imagine with only 91 clubs in the league that Barrow will automatically be promoted but will there be another National league club come up with them & Stevenage relegated, or will Stevenage be given a reprieve?

No decisions as yet.

When League Two clubs voted in the week, one of the points was to "consider suspending relegation". 

I think Barrow should be promoted personally so that the league makes 24 again, as they were top when it was suspended. However Harrogate are only about 4 points behind and their manager have already been out and said that they should "qualifty" for promotion.

These decisions are massive though. Barrow haven't been in the football league before. Have Harrogate? I doubt it. As I said in the other thread, some clubs may not recover from these decisions for a long time. I keep using Coventry as the example in League One because they've got no money/no ground and have been suffering for years (this time last year they were in League 2) yet are now on the verge of promotion to the Championship (5 points clear with a game in hand). 

League Two have already agreed that those three at the top are going up, fair enough, but no decision on League One as yet. Unless League One think they can finish season out eventually. I think Bolton's relegation is a certainty, and probably Southend too, but Tranmere have a game in hand on Wimbledon and are only 2 or 3 points behind. Either way, you can't just say well you're in the bottom three so you're going down. Bowyer made a good point about Charlton in the Championship in the week with them being in the bottom three for the first time ... and then the season got suspended.

Edited by Fox92

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

League One play-offs could be extended to more clubs.

Wycombe (eighth-placed) may well be in the driving seat to try and make this option to go ahead; considering they've got a game in hand. but only a point behind third-placed Oxford..

Not a bad shout. It’s how they do them in the Conference now too with teams finishing lowest playing an extra round

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

No decisions as yet.

When League Two clubs voted in the week, one of the points was to "consider suspending relegation". 

I think Barrow should be promoted personally so that the league makes 24 again, as they were top when it was suspended. However Harrogate are only about 4 points behind and their manager have already been out and said that they should "qualifty" for promotion.

These decisions are massive though. Barrow haven't been in the football league before. Have Harrogate? I doubt it. As I said in the other thread, some clubs may not recover from these decisions for a long time. I keep using Coventry as the example in League One because they've got no money/no ground and have been suffering for years (this time last year they were in League 2) yet are now on the verge of promotion to the Championship (5 points clear with a game in hand). 

League Two have already agreed that those three at the top are going up, fair enough, but no decision on League One as yet. Unless League One think they can finish season out eventually. I think Bolton's relegation is a certainty, and probably Southend too, but Tranmere have a game in hand on Wimbledon and are only 2 or 3 points behind. Either way, you can't just say well you're in the bottom three so you're going down. Bowyer made a good point about Charlton in the Championship in the week with them being in the bottom three for the first time ... and then the season got suspended.

Barrow were a football league club for 50 years believe it or not.Would imagine they’re now a phoenix type reboot of the original.The Town has League football history though.Read the other day it’s been hit the hardest by Corona Virus aswell.Don’t think Harrogate have ever troubled the top end of non league until recently.Never mind the F/L.I’ll stand corrected without checking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Barrow were a football league club for 50 years believe it or not.Would imagine they’re now a phoenix type reboot of the original.The Town has League football history though.Read the other day it’s been hit the hardest by Corona Virus aswell.Don’t think Harrogate have ever troubled the top end of non league until recently.Never mind the F/L.I’ll stand corrected without checking.

Harrogate were playing Northern Premier League as recently as 2004 I think, so you’re correct. 

5 hours ago, Fox92 said:

No decisions as yet.

Cov were in League One last season I think mate.

-----

I don't see the rush in voiding all these seasons which are 80% done on the presumption that 20-21 will be as normal, when it's just as likely we could end up in an even bigger mess having to squeeze a full calendar into a smaller period down the line. Finish what people have invested money, time and endeavour into considering it's nearly done regardless. 

• Like 2

With regards to League 1 (meeting again Friday), the vote appears to be very close. Unsurprisingly the top 2 clubs - Rotherham, Coventry want to end the season with positions based on a points per game basis. Most of the clubs chasing promotion want the season to connue. Karl Robinson (oxford manager) wants season to continue as he believes Oxford can finish in top 2. Interestingly, a couple of season ticket hoders I've spoken to don't want Oxford to be promoted - feeling they aren't ready and would come back down.

13 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

With regards to League 1 (meeting again Friday), the vote appears to be very close. Unsurprisingly the top 2 clubs - Rotherham, Coventry want to end the season with positions based on a points per game basis. Most of the clubs chasing promotion want the season to connue. Karl Robinson (oxford manager) wants season to continue as he believes Oxford can finish in top 2. Interestingly, a couple of season ticket hoders I've spoken to don't want Oxford to be promoted - feeling they aren't ready and would come back down.

Do you think they're trying to save face in case the season is voided in a "didn't fancy going up anyway" sort of stance? Surely every fan wants to see their club get promoted regardless? Who knows what could happen should they go up - added to that they're more likely to have their best players nabbed if they stay in League One.

On 19/05/2020 at 22:12, SAFC1 said:

I hope L1 is voided ASAP. 

It would have been interesting to know why you take this view. Anyway, it seems if there are no more regular games there will be promotion. relegation and play offs. Makes sense to me if the season is not finished given the majority of season's dames have been played

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52758193

13 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Is that muppet Methven still involved as well, came across as a right weapon on the Netflix show

He’s resigned from the board but still has a 6% stake in the club. I’d be on all night if I was to name the mistakes they’ve made, we’ve been a joke for years and years but their performance since coming in has been embarrassing and worse than anything previous. Just look at Donald on deadline day when it came to signing Will Grigg... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/05/2020 at 13:55, Heathrow fox said:

It's the same Barrow.  They never went bust.  There are one or two non-phoenix former league clubs dotted around the north-west.  Nelson for one.  Glossop NE.  Workington.  Until recently, Darwen, but they did go bust and re-formed.