Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nicolo Barella

Formations for next season

With the addition of Perez, we have a much more flexible team. Rodgers has been known to experiment with his squads before, so assuming no further transfers in/out, these are some formations I think we could see next season. 

BTEC Man City 4-3-3

Barnes Vardy Perez   

Maddison Tielemans 

Ndidi

Chilwell Maguire Evans Ricardo

Schmeichel

With Barnes not having an excellent defensive workrate, and Perez generally playing at his widest as an inside forward, I think we could adapt last season's 4-1-4-1 to a narrower 4-3-3 to suit both our probable starting wingers more. 

Midfield Diamond 4-3-1-2

Vardy Perez

Barnes/Maddison

Maddison/Hamza Tielemans

Ndidi

Chilwell Maguire Evans Ricardo

Schmeichel

Ditching wingers entirely could also suit our squad. Barnes has, at lower levels, played best as a 10, and I think his direct movement and passing could be very effective down the middle and create lots of space and chances in an Alli-esque role for the strikeforce of Vardy and Perez, who could create an intelligent pressing partnership with Vardy closing passing lanes and Perez chasing the ball. This could also be the best way to integrate Hamza into the squad, without taking Ndidi out of it - playing Hamza over Barnes gives great defensive solidity which could be very useful against big teams. 

3 at the back! 3-4-1-2

Vardy Perez

Maddison 

Chilwell Ndidi/Hamza Tielemans Ricardo

Maguire Benkovic Soyuncu

Schmeichel

Both Chilwell and Ricardo are excellent at progressing the ball up the pitch, and this formation would free them up to focus on that. In addition, Ricardo has excellent end product that could be increased by this formation. The reason I omit Evans from this formation is because imo in a 3 at the back formation, at least 2 of the centrebacks need to have serious pace to be able to cover against counterattacks. I actually think a more complete trio would be Soyuncu Evans Benkovic as the two *pacy centrebacks would flank Evans who I think would do well as the base of the formation, but seeing as Maguire is probably our best centreback I figure he should start. 

Thoughts? Any other formations you think he would try at some point?

Edited by Nicolo Barella
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good topic Nicolo!

Rodgers played a 41212 diamond at Liverpool for a while. We also could go for a regular 352. I don’t think either Formation we will start with but could shape up this way if behind in games. 

Easiest way to answer this topic is to watch preseason! I’m fascinated by how the Rodgers evolution will look like. I think Perez especially gives us many new options even if not a starter and hence why he was a good signing. 

• Like 2

Depending upon how he performs pre-season, I have an inclination that Justin James may start RB, with Ricardo moved forward.  BR has said that he sees Ricardo best used in more advanced positions

Perez may well not start - acting as the Okazaki-type alternative from the bench  to support Vardy as game circumstances dictate. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fox1970 said:

Depending upon how he performs pre-season, I have an inclination that Justin James may start RB, with Ricardo moved forward.  BR has said that he sees Ricardo best used in more advanced positions

Perez may well not start - acting as the Okazaki-type alternative from the bench  to support Vardy as game circumstances dictate. 

When did Rodgers say that? That is interesting if true, although it could easily mean he's looking at 3 centrebacks or something else for example.

• Like 1

It was towards the end of the season; I thought it was interesting at the time, suggesting that he wants a better, more solid  defender at RB, and that Ricardo has the potential to be more constructive.

Not that he didn't have a great season!

• Like 2

I think the 4-1-4-1 from the end of last season, with Perez as an upgrade, will do best.  

I can't remember the last time I watched Leicester play a midfield diamond successfully (and that was enjoyable to watch), but maybe Rodgers can pull it off. 

Some form of a 3-4-3 or 5-4-1 (Barnes Ndidi Tielemans Perez) or that 3-4-1-2 could be interesting if we want to play with three CBs.

Think he probably sticks to what we've seen so far really. More offensive, we play Ndidi as the holding midfielder, with Maddison and Tielemans as 8s and 2 of Gray, Barnes and Perez wide. Or more defensive, Maddison goes wide and Choudhury comes in alongside Ndidi. 

• Like 2

I've not been comfortable with a diamond ever since that utterly disastrous one Ranieri tried away at Southampton and we lost 3-0. The one thing you need is speed in the 'wide' midfielders and that is exactly what arguably our best player in Tielemans lacks.

As others have said, 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 will get the best out of this group, particularly as you get two players close to Vardy, and another two players who control the play from the centre and therefore take the pressure for creativity away from Ndidi. 

• Like 3

Replace Maguire if he leaves, obviously.

Give Perez a bit of a free role to roam onto the wings.

Tielemans and Maddison will drift to the right and left when necessary, allowing linkup with the wingbacks too.

352.png

4 minutes ago, FireFox said:

Replace Maguire if he leaves, obviously.

Give Perez a bit of a free role to roam onto the wings.

Tielemans and Maddison will drift to the right and left when necessary, allowing linkup with the wingbacks too.

352.png

My only concern with Maddison being the third most advanced player is he naturally likes to drift deep and dictate things.

I think playing Maddison in that position would leave Vardy and Perez too isolated. 

Would like to see us stick with the 4-3-3 personally. 

8 minutes ago, Shane said:

My only concern with Maddison being the third most advanced player is he naturally likes to drift deep and dictate things.

I think playing Maddison in that position would leave Vardy and Perez too isolated. 

Would like to see us stick with the 4-3-3 personally. 

Today's first half formation was the same formation as Rodgers' preferred one last season IE a 4141 / 433 (depending on how you view it). Mendy, who was superb, was the water carrier doing the simple stuff, then Leshabala and Tielemans were the two 8's, rotating between who was an 8 and a 10 with Albrighton and Perez on the wings. The twist tonight is that Perez would drift centrally (Albrighton also drifted quite a bit too), whilst most of the other things stayed the same. E.g. if Ricardo goes forward, Fuchs stayed back, and vice versa. Perez really impressed me as he drifted very intelligently and linked up with Tielemans, Vardy and Ricardo. I have no doubt he will work well with Maddison too. I like the drifting because it means players move between the lines, which combined with crisp one-touch passing is what will open up defensively sound teams. There is a risk that on the turnover you get caught hideously out of possession, which happened once when Soyuncu was tackled quite physically and stayed down, but that's part and parcel of that style of football. Some of the one touch stuff was fabulous tonight. It was a bit like the crisp passing under Puel, but at 2x the speed and that is what made all the difference. Having good technical players like Perez, Ricardo and Tielemans helps us play that style effectively.

Both Perez and Albrighton got into goal scoring positions several times, and the good news was that Perez already hit the back of the net. That is what was missing last season, the clinical edge in front of goal outside of Vardy. If you were being critical you would have to say we should have scored many more, and I am sure that is something Rodgers will be saying to the team. I think that is likely to be our Achilles heel if we don't perform this season. We have a really solid structure to the first team, but our front 3 last season did not produce the number of goals they should have done.

Will be interesting to see if we play this way in every game, or if we try other systems. Rodgers tried a 343 against Watford and a 4231 against Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

433 all the way for me but with the personnel we have it will be very fluid.

Kasper

Riccardo - Maguire - Evans - Chilwell

Tielmans - Hamza - Ndidi

Ayoze - Vardy - Maddison

Madders always drops into midfield and that will allow our attacking fullbacks to play higher up the pitch for width. Playing Tielemans, Maddison and Ayoze will allow them to move all over the attacking third but for me, this formation only works with Ndidi and Hamza as protection. We played much better with them two in the side last season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Analysethis said:

433 all the way for me but with the personnel we have it will be very fluid.

Kasper

Riccardo - Maguire - Evans - Chilwell

Tielmans - Hamza - Ndidi

Ayoze - Vardy - Maddison

Madders always drops into midfield and that will allow our attacking fullbacks to play higher up the pitch for width. Playing Tielemans, Maddison and Ayoze will allow them to move all over the attacking third but for me, this formation only works with Ndidi and Hamza as protection. We played much better with them two in the side last season.

This is a glorified midfield diamond in personnel and I feel it's one dynamic pacey player short of what makes us most effective. If Barnes isn't trusted to start next season from the off then we need another fast and direct winger/forward as I don't think Gray is what Rodgers is after at all.

My guess is:

Kasper

Ricardo - Maguire - Evans - Chilwell

Tielemans - Ndidi

Maddison

Ayoze - Vardy - Barnes

With Albrighton and Gray rotating into the wing positions based on fatigue and form. 

Against the better teams it will be:

Kasper

Ricardo - Maguire - Evans - Chilwell

Tielemans - Ndidi - Hamza

Albrighton - Vardy - Maddison

Edited by Detroit Blues

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

This is a glorified midfield diamond in personnel and I feel it's one dynamic pacey player short of what makes us most effective. If Barnes isn't trusted to start next season from the off then we need another fast and direct winger/forward as I don't think Gray is what Rodgers is after at all.

I have to disagree here. We have serious pace from our full back positions in Chilwell and Riccardo in addition to Vardy. For the fullbacks to get forward we cant have Ndidi as the only protection in midfield. For me, the full-backs played better when we have Ndidi and Hamza. Two "wingers" just leaves too much distance between them and the full-backs for me and also we look weak in central midfield without Hamza. We are fortunate enough to have 3 no 10s now in Tielemans, Ayoze and Madders and without wingers we have to build up and find that magic pass. We finally have these players who can now get forward and score goals but IMO they need protection. This recent obsession of "flying" wingers.to me is dated. Yeah Gray and Barnes are superb options to open up a game but personally I hope we dont buy any wingers and are more creative in the final third.

Not a formation but I wonder if our bench will be strong enough next season? If we keep Maguire & sign a winger for the first 11 i’m guessing our bench will look something like:

1) Ward

2) Justin - Versatile option

3) Evans/Soyuncu - Both could be starting if Harry goes. 

4) Choudhury

5) New CM - Another creative 8 as back up for Tielemans/Maddison

6) Albrighton 

7) Barnes - I know we have Perez who can play upfront, but not many teams have zero strikers on the bench. However maybe Barnes could play upfront alongside Vardy if we’re chasing a game? 

On paper the bench certainly looks strong in comparison to last season. In an ideal world I would sign a winger and a striker, but maybe we have enough. 

30 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

4-3-3, Albrighton and Perez closer to the striker than in the 4-1-4-1, also a bit of positional fluidity from both wingers, especially Perez

Yeah. So basically a 4141 with a 433 and a 4132 thrown in for good measure.

Thats what I thought.

We are basically a formationally fluid diverse interchanging threatening mess. 

I like it.

• Like 1

Thoughts on the diamond today?

Positives:

- Perez seems to be getting into dangerous pockets of space.

- Ricardo looked even more dangerous than usual.

- Leshabela looked comfortable at LCM when he came on. Has good acceleration, can dribble and good movement off the ball. 

Negatives:

- Looked vulnerable to the counter.

- Didn’t really control possession as much as Brendan would have hoped for. Think Mendy would have been useful in this system, recycling the ball and keeping things flowing. 

- Our pressing from the front didn’t really work today.

Overall:

- Still would love us to sign a proper winger. If the diamond is a genuine option we desperately need another CM. Also who is Perez’s back up in this system? Barnes maybe? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shane said:

Thoughts on the diamond today?

Positives:

- Perez seems to be getting into dangerous pockets of space.

- Ricardo looked even more dangerous than usual.

- Leshabela looked comfortable at LCM when he came on. Has good acceleration, can dribble and good movement off the ball. 

Negatives:

- Looked vulnerable to the counter.

- Didn’t really control possession as much as Brendan would have hoped for. Think Mendy would have been useful in this system, recycling the ball and keeping things flowing. 

- Our pressing from the front didn’t really work today.

Overall:

- Still would love us to sign a proper winger. If the diamond is a genuine option we desperately need another CM. Also who is Perez’s back up in this system? Barnes maybe? 

For me it was the reason why we were under par today for most of the match, players weren't quite used to their roles within the system. That said, it takes time to bed in a new way of playing and I'm sure we will see it again as Rodgers has used it throughout his career. I would love to know why he switches to it sometimes? Is it to deal with teams that have better technical players, or is it to be used against teams that sit back? I think when playing the system we look less dynamic and fluid, but perhaps more direct and able to deal with more attritional games. In his post match interview, Rodgers mentioned that Stoke play a diamond formation so it feels like he might have requested this very specific fixture for the team to see first hand how they need to position themselves? I found that to be a very interesting tidbit.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said but would add that I feel that Tielemans wasn't able to get on the ball as much as he did against Cambridge and I think we look a better team when get gets on the ball as much as possible. For that reason I am personally a bigger fan of the 433, but the diamond might be more effective against the top clubs in the league? We will have to see when he decides to wheel it out.

I didn't think pressing was too bad though I think it was more that we were a bit wasteful once we got the ball back compared to Cambridge midweek. But I know what you mean in that in our previous games the high press was almost like a choke hold in an MMA fight, with the opposition unable to get out, whereas today Stoke beat the press on a number of occasions and we were in big trouble. In fact that might be the reason why he swithces formations sometimes.

Perez gets into very good spaces and positions but I thought he was a bit indifferent today. Too much of a passenger and not affecting the game as much as I would like him to, especially compared to Marc Albrighton who has been superb in every game he's played in preseason. He could be a revelation this season because he's finishing chances now, which he's never really done before.

Totally agree with you about Riccy P. In my opinion he is actually a world class player, I genuinely think across Europe there aren't many better right backs right now. He does it all!

P:S for those who want to know, we played our version of Liverpool's diamond system when Rodgers as in charge, with Maddison behind the front two.

image.png.b986ea950543c6204764099507ee51c9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1