Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

The Politics Thread 2019

4 hours ago, Innovindil said:

What do you think Boris will do if his plans with no deal are blocked and he can't get a general election through? 

Unfortunately corbyn is stupid enough to give him a GE rather than attempting to legislate for a second referendum. Lets be honest, we've all seen the polls, remain is now the will of the people. What's happening now is a travesty. 

26 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Having listened to that, amongst the stop the coup chanting, Bojo is an embarrassment.  I can't figure out why he'd make some sort of statement, the logic, or lack of it, is baffling.

As I've said before, he'll go down as the shortest reigning PM of all time and that view hasn't changed.  Despite this, I really don't see where we're going, Corbyn is even worse.  How he could be possibly worse than the shower that are in is beyond comprehension.  The lot of 'em need to be outed.  Utterly useless.  

I won't be voting for either in an election.  This two party system stinks.  It's the either me or him argument and I can't stand either at the minute.

Locally, how many people are going to go Brexit Party in a GE following up the Euro elections.  I think this will have the greatest bearing on any result - Farage must be loving it.

I'm not a fan of corbyn but i find the right wing media response to him ridiculous. 

Why is corbyn worse than the current shower?

The Tories have been remarkably successful in painting him as an extremist despite the fact most of his policies are actually popular on their own. 

• Haha 1

It will be intetesting to see if the bill composed by Ben gets the votes required.I have no doubt the Gaukward squad will vote for it as they have already cooked their goose but others will be twitching surely as it now looks like if that was the case it could lead to an election on the 14th and negate their chances of standing as Tory MP's.

Incidentally it looks likely Labour will  be getting the election they have been asking for for the past two years ,Jezzer seems confident.

Whatever Stephen Kinnock predicts put your money on .

**** me, the Brexit extension bill actually states that the EU can choose the length of the extension and that the Prime Minister must agree to it without a limit.  Completely surrendering British sovereignty to 27 foreign powers.

image.png.a6e4b4dc86e3ee9d7b9fdd22f213a131.png

https://twitter.com/matt_dathan

Any Conservative who votes for that and then has the brass neck to protest about their careers being ended needs urgent help.

As for Boris' speech it was a clear message that he will never ask for such an extension and that the vote tomorrow is essentially a vote on whether or not to hold a General Election.

Edited by BlueSi13
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

**** me, the Brexit extension bill actually states that the EU can choose the length of the extension and that the Prime Minister must agree to it without a limit.  Completely surrendering British sovereignty to 27 foreign powers.

Any Conservative who votes for that and then has the brass neck to protest about their careers being ended needs urgent help.

As for Boris' speech it was a clear message that he will never ask for such an extension and that the vote tomorrow is essentially a vote on whether or not to hold a General Election.

It should tell you how damaging people think a no-deal Brexit will be.

I don't think anyone thinks it's an ideal situation, just the least-terrible of very few options.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

within the group that are backing this are a very large number of former government ministers and cabinet members.  This isn't being done lightly.  It should tell you a lot about where the tories are that so many of their own former pms and secretaries of state are protesting. 

32 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Finally politics has got my juices going.  I'm really intrigued, is Boris this stupid or has pulled out a masterstroke.

He’s been pushed into a corner I think, but they’ve definitely planned for this, and I for one think he can win a majority in a GE.

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

He’s been pushed into a corner I think, but they’ve definitely planned for this, and I for one think he can win a majority in a GE.

Same, I think he is liked by the public and the opposition is very weak. 

I think he is pushing his rebel MP's on how.much they want to save there bacon....public at a GE may not agree with there position, and if Labour win, then there fooked.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

8 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Sadly, I think that too.

He can't have an election without Labour support.

Corbyn's best strategy would be to concentrate on passing the legislation and refuse to give Bozo what he wants because if Bozo fails to leave on Oct 31st it will see the Brexit Party split the Leave vote in any subsequent election. Corbyn just needs to play this smart.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Corbyn's best strategy would be to concentrate on passing the legislation and refuse to give Bozo what he wants because if Bozo fails to leave on Oct 31st it will see the Brexit Party split the Leave vote in any subsequent election. Corbyn just needs to play this smart.

Agree with this too.

I'm hoping Corbyn sees sense in this, as it's the logical play, but it wouldn't surprise me if Corbyn thought he could win an election*.

(*He can't - he couldn't beat Theresa, and she was wildly more unpopular than Borris is).

2 hours ago, Charl91 said:

It should tell you how damaging people think a no-deal Brexit will be.

I don't think anyone thinks it's an ideal situation, just the least-terrible of very few options.

Thinking no deal is bad is one thing.  Drafting a bill that completely enslaves the UK to the whims of a project that the British people voted to leave is quite another.  I actually can't believe that ANY British politician would sign up to this, let alone Conservative MP's.

Sure enough look whose names are on the paper:

image.png.d68dcb52cd17aaa19f8a0ad975a1ac81.png

To me it just confirms what a lot of leavers have long feared, that many in that House of Commons now consider their loyalty to be with the EU, and not to the UK.  Nothing else can explain this treachery.  

The General Election can't come soon enough. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Buce said:

Brexit Party will stand down for sure in such a scenario.  The last thing they will do will be to give Corbyn and the remainers a leg up.  

I strongly doubt Corbyn will turn down an election though, he's been crying for one for two years, for him to be seen to be running from one because he fears he will take a hiding whilst at the same time pointlessly delaying Brexit will devastate them even further.

1 minute ago, BlueSi13 said:

Brexit Party will stand down for sure in such a scenario.  The last thing they will do will be to give Corbyn and the remainers a leg up.  

I strongly doubt Corbyn will turn down an election though, he's been crying for one for two years, for him to be seen to be running from one because he fears he will take a hiding whilst at the same time pointlessly delaying Brexit will devastate them even further.

I don't think so - he will in an election before that date but if Bozo fails to leave by then all bets are off.

Regretably, you may well be right about Corbyn, though.

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

I don't think so - he will in an election before that date but if Bozo fails to leave by then all bets are off.

Regretably, you may well be right about Corbyn, though.

Personally I think it would be utter suicide for Labour to turn down a General Election.  It would be absolutely extraordinary, extend Brexit indefinitely with no end in sight, and reject the chance for the public to vote you in to Number 10.  Surely if the public are so behind you and against Boris Johnson then surely you'd be mad to turn that down right?

Whatever happens I think we know what's next, the rebels will win the vote comfortably tomorrow, Conservative rebels are deselected, Boris calls for a General Election on October the 14th to end the stalemate.....if Labour rejects it then what happens next will be brutal and may involve Queen's Consent.

22 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Personally I think it would be utter suicide for Labour to turn down a General Election.  It would be absolutely extraordinary, extend Brexit indefinitely with no end in sight, and reject the chance for the public to vote you in to Number 10.  Surely if the public are so behind you and against Boris Johnson then surely you'd be mad to turn that down right?

Whatever happens I think we know what's next, the rebels will win the vote comfortably tomorrow, Conservative rebels are deselected, Boris calls for a General Election on October the 14th to end the stalemate.....if Labour rejects it then what happens next will be brutal and may involve Queen's Consent.

Can you explain that further?

26 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Just confirmed on newsnight by the shadow transport sec that labour will not support a GE vote this week .......so it seems that if the ‘non no deal’ massive get their way tomorrow and manage to get legislation through this week then Johnson will have to wait to call a GE until after Oct 31 (but he said he won’t ask for an extension) .....that can is getting kicked harder and harder ...

Btw, any GE is very tough to call regarding what the outcome would be ........

Edited by st albans fox

1 hour ago, Buce said:

I think theres far more Brexit party candidates to stand down for Boris than there are LibDems to stand down for Corbyn though.

I think most Brexit party voters would empathise with Boris while most LibDems would fundamentally disagree too much with Corbyn on economic and foreign policy to ever vote for him and we already know the LibDem leadership has recently come put and said a Corbyn-led government is absolutely not an option.

Corbyn constantly calling for a GE for the past 2 years has played into Boris' hands and Corbyn has been an obliging useful idiot and split too much of the Labour vote over to the LibDems now I think.

I also concur with the above who can sadly see Boris getting a majority. I've been saying it for 3 years though - as soon as Labour appointed a looney populist as leader they opened the doors for the Tories to do the same and here we are with both major parties being hard to vote for.