Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

The Politics Thread 2019

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Hmm I want to post specifically about trump and also other general news separately too as they're such big topics.

Why don't we reopen the threads and all collectively block / mute @MC Prussian and @AlloverthefloorYesNdidi. That should keep it civil?

What, stop people from opposing your views! Ok antifa 

:dunno: I can see the argument for having all the potentially inflammatory stuff in one thread given modding staff for Gen Chat seem to be rather hard to come by right now (not surprising given it's probably not easy).

TBH I'm thinking mostly sticking to science-related stuff is probably better for my health anyway, though there are folks who try to politicise that, too.

Anyway, the chants at the rally yesterday are certainly generating some talk - and it seems that a fair few people, Trump himself included, may have thought that those in the crowd went just a mite too far:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49035505

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49041295

This drives me ****ing nuts. It's not the first time they've done this, I can't stress enough how much it irritates me. 

There's a line in there, subtly nestled in the middle, just one sentence:

"pay rises will have to be funded from existing budgets." 

Meaning, we're going to tell you to pay your staff more but we're not going to cover the cost. This is ****ing shameless Tory public relations shit, "look, we're paying the public sector more!" no, you're costing the public sector £2bn in services.

The money has to come from somewhere and that somewhere are the schools and hospitals themselves, some will axe costs elsewhere and degrade the quality of service to the public, others will simply have internal reviews and lay off staff to cover the difference. 

Look, as a public sector employee I love a good pay rise, who doesn't? But this shit makes me angry. It's like when they gave all council tenants a 1% rent cut as a big PR spin. It's complete crap, the vast majority of council tenants were having their rent paid by Central government via HB. Even those that weren't, what the **** does 1% difference make to the average persons wallet? But you add all those 1%s up and its crippling to the authority. 

It's just a clever way for Central government to spend less on housing via HB. The council takes the strain and cuts staff and services to cope and the public miss out. 

Austerity hasn't ended its just incognito. 

It hasn't even started.

Wait till you see what a Johnson lead government does in response to the clusterfvck that is Brexit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buce said:

It hasn't even started.

Wait till you see what a Johnson lead government does in response to the clusterfvck that is Brexit.

Say thanks to the people in positions of power that have let it come this far and this messed up.

Anyone charged with solving the Brexit issue will have a massive task at his or her hand, no matter what the political affiliation.

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

:dunno: I can see the argument for having all the potentially inflammatory stuff in one thread given modding staff for Gen Chat seem to be rather hard to come by right now (not surprising given it's probably not easy).

TBH I'm thinking mostly sticking to science-related stuff is probably better for my health anyway, though there are folks who try to politicise that, too.

Anyway, the chants at the rally yesterday are certainly generating some talk - and it seems that a fair few people, Trump himself included, may have thought that those in the crowd went just a mite too far:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49035505

It's a fascinating phenomenon - I can't recall Obama (or in the infant days of FT, George W.) creating that much controversy on here, even though when you look at their policies, they were (much) worse for the American people and/or global politics/peace. What I can praise Obama for is that he started the domestic economic recovery that Trump has then and so far led even further.

The discussion surrounding Trump is surely in large parts shaped by the (US) media, who are a majority on the more liberal side, and thus detest the guy. They have their agenda. And Trump stories, no matter how unimportant in the grand scheme of things, sell.

It speaks volumes when they fail to cover Democrats' failures and scandals at all.

And as a consequence, it is also welcome news fodder for the UK and European press.

The "send her back" chants at the rally were too much and misplaced. You can dislike Omar any way you want, but there are more civil and clever ways of deconstructing her ill-founded arguments.

As for technology and science being "politicized", well that's inevitable. Because ultimately, one is dependent on the other.

Edited by MC Prussian

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

It's a fascinating phenomenon - I can't recall Obama (or in the infant days of FT, George W.) creating that much controversy on here, even though when you look at their policies, they were (much) worse for the American people and/or global politics/peace. What I can praise Obama for is that he started the domestic economic recovery that Trump has then and so far led even further.

The discussion surrounding Trump is surely in large parts shaped by the (US) media, who are a majority on the more liberal side, and thus detest the guy. They have their agenda. And Trump stories, no matter how unimportant in the grand scheme of things, sell.

It speaks volumes when they fail to cover Democrats' failures and scandals at all.

And as a consequence, it is also welcome news fodder for the UK and European press.

The "send her back" chants at the rally were too much and misplaced. You can dislike Omar any way you want, but there are more civil and clever ways of deconstructing her ill-founded arguments.

As for technology and science being "politicized", well that's inevitable. Because ultimately, one is dependent on the other.

Fox is still the most watched news channel by far, so Americans get their fair share of Dem-bashing too. 

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

Fox is still the most watched news channel by far, so Americans get their fair share of Dem-bashing too. 

Not quite.

Fox has indeed become the most watched US news channel, but only in recent years.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/2018-ratings-fox-news-is-the-most-watched-network-on-cable-for-the-third-straight-year/387943/

Still "only" the fifth-most-watched network across broadcast and cable.

21 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Sadiq Khan intent on making housing and living in London even worse. Should be enough to stop people re-electing him tbh

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49020361

Given how the rental market is right now, trying something like rent controls is surely worth a look - put a hypothetical into action?

The solution of "build more homes" is not a pure answer, given a growing population/demand, the time delays in implementing and the additional cost of providing additional local services based on the increased localised population.

As with a lot of today's social issues, no magic bullet exists and it will be a combination of policies and initiatives that will see positive progress.

4 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Can you honestly not see why Trump as a person (putting policy to one side for a moment) gets more criticism than Obama, Bush, or any other previous U.S president? It's clearly not just a "liberal media" thing.

Edited by Charl91
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

The day a scientific matter involving the whole world and everyone on it becomes a political football is the day human civilisation does the equivalent of fiddling while the world burns.

Wait, shit...

But point taken - I'm well aware that it's probably inevitable and that brings out my inner misanthrope lamenting the stupidity of our species hard.

• Like 1