Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheLittleBigMan

Squads for Saturday

Stoke City

Marc Albrighton
Filip Benković
Ben Chilwell
Hamza Choudhury
Fousseni Diabaté
Callum Elder
Jonny Evans
Viktor Johansson
Khanya Leshabela
James Maddison
Harry Maguire
Ricardo Pereira
Ayoze Pérez
Kasper Schmeichel
George Thomas
Youri Tielemans
Jamie Vardy 

Rotherham United

Daniel Amartey
Harvey Barnes
Christian Fuchs
Rachid Ghezzal
Demarai Gray
Kelechi Iheanacho
Eldin Jakupović
James Justin
Andy King
Nampalys Mendy
Elliott Moore
Wes Morgan
Admiral Muskwe
Adrien Silva
Çağlar Söyüncü
Calvin Ughelumba
Danny Ward

• Thanks 4

Kasper

Ricardo, Evans, Maguire, Chilwell

Choudhury, Maddison, Tielemans

Perez, Vardy, Albrighton

And:

Ward

Justin, Morgan, Soyuncu, Fuchs

Mendy, King, Ghezzal

Gray, Iheanacho, Barnes

Shame Benkovic will probably only get a brief run out if anything, squads say to me that we are preparing for Maguire to stay and the only change I could see on opening day is Albrighton. Midfield at Rotherham isn't the best lol 

Possible Stoke XI:

Kasper

Ricardo Evans Maguire Chilwell

Tielemans Hamza Maddison

Perez Vardy Albrighton

Subs:

Benković, Diabaté, Elder, Johansson, Leshabela, Thomas

Possible Rotherham XI:

Ward

Justin Morgan Soyuncu Fuchs

Silva Mendy

Gray Barnes Deirdre

Iheanacho

Subs:

Amartey, Jakupović, King, Moore, Muskwe, Ughelumba

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So with exception of Ndidi, who's a little behind due to the AFCON, the likely first 11 at Stoke is likely to be the favoured first 11. The first 11 at Rotherham are likely to be the ones filling the bench in the most part.

16 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

So with exception of Ndidi, who's a little behind due to the AFCON, the likely first 11 at Stoke is likely to be the favoured first 11. The first 11 at Rotherham are likely to be the ones filling the bench in the most part.

That's what I thought at first initially, but there are some surprise names and inclusions, e.g. Harvey Barnes in the Rotherham team, etc. I think this is so that each team is balanced and can put in a decent showing. 

The Stoke team definitely contains most of the heavy hitters, but I wouldn't write everyone in the second 11 off just yet!

But the Stoke team is quite interesting as on paper the width is being generated by the fullbacks and not the wingers. And it might well be that is what Brendan actually wants from us this season, and it's a very Liverpool / Klopp-esque way of playing. Robertson and Alexander-Arnold had a crazy number of assists last season, because their team relies on their midfield 3 as their "engine" to get hold of the ball and recycling it, width from fullbacks, Firminho to occupy the centre backs, and then Mane / Salah making runs between the lines to make scoring chances. That line-up is high energy with Hamza inolved and the front 3 being a bit more narrow. Looking at Albrighton in every game so far, he has been playing WAY more centrally in terms of his runs into the box.

Very interesting and I quite like it! This would also explain why Rodgers wants another attacking midfielder as opposed to a winger / forward. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Kasper

Ricardo, Evans, Maguire, Chilwell

Choudhury, Maddison, Tielemans

Perez, Vardy, Albrighton

And:

Ward

Justin, Morgan, Soyuncu, Fuchs

Mendy, King, Ghezzal

Gray, Iheanacho, Barnes

Shame Benkovic will probably only get a brief run out if anything, squads say to me that we are preparing for Maguire to stay and the only change I could see on opening day is Albrighton. Midfield at Rotherham isn't the best lol 

I think they may start with Benkovic, especially if Evans is still carrying a knock.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's what I thought at first initially, but there are some surprise names and inclusions, e.g. Harvey Barnes in the Rotherham team, etc. I think this is so that each team is balanced and can put in a decent showing. 

The Stoke team definitely contains most of the heavy hitters, but I wouldn't write everyone in the second 11 off just yet!

But the Stoke team is quite interesting as on paper the width is being generated by the fullbacks and not the wingers. And it might well be that is what Brendan actually wants from us this season, and it's a very Liverpool / Klopp-esque way of playing. Robertson and Alexander-Arnold had a crazy number of assists last season, because their team relies on their midfield 3 as their "engine" to get hold of the ball and recycling it, width from fullbacks, Firminho to occupy the centre backs, and then Mane / Salah making runs between the lines to make scoring chances. That line-up is high energy with Hamza inolved and the front 3 being a bit more narrow. Looking at Albrighton in every game so far, he has been playing WAY more centrally in terms of his runs into the box.

Very interesting and I quite like it! This would also explain why Rodgers wants another attacking midfielder as opposed to a winger / forward. 

Barnes is the only one at Rotherham that I think has a chance of being in the first choice 11 when all fit. Its not as though Ricardo, Maguire and Vardy are the too few example. That's what makes me think he's split it exactly between first choice and 2nd choice, and Barnes is in the 2nd string.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Yeah I imagine Rodgers will go to Stoke and Chris Davies or Kolo Toure will go to Rotherham.

Could send Stowell to Rotherham has had experience big being in charge before, seem to have plenty of backroom staff at present.

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Barnes is the only one at Rotherham that I think has a chance of being in the first choice 11 when all fit. Its not as though Ricardo, Maguire and Vardy are the too few example. That's what makes me think he's split it exactly between first choice and 2nd choice, and Barnes is in the 2nd string.

You could definitely be right. In terms of squad, I would expect to see Soyunucu, Morgan, Mendy, Ihenacho, Fuchs, Gray all involved on match days. But I agree, none of those are going to be starters except maybe Barnes (possibly Soyuncu if Maguire goes). Even then I think Barnes has already proved for his current level he's best as a "last 30 minutes" man, where he has a dramatic impact. He's a bit too chaotic to be a starter I would say in a 433 and with Albrighton having an amazing preseason thus far, he starts ahead of him. Perez also already looked pretty good. 

Anyway it will be very interesting to see. So far I have really enjoyed pre-season. You can really see the style develop, it's been pleasing to watch and it's been fun (for me at least!) to observe what the manager is trying to do, and tweaks he's been making to last year's system. Honestly, his coaching ability has really impressed me and I would say that he's a real modern manager in terms of style and coaching and a step up from Ranieri and Puel, even if Ranieri got us the title!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Stoke City

Marc Albrighton
Filip Benković
Ben Chilwell
Hamza Choudhury
Fousseni Diabaté
Callum Elder
Jonny Evans
Viktor Johansson
Khanya Leshabela
James Maddison
Harry Maguire
Ricardo Pereira
Ayoze Pérez
Kasper Schmeichel
George Thomas
Youri Tielemans
Jamie Vardy 

Rotherham United

Daniel Amartey
Harvey Barnes
Christian Fuchs
Rachid Ghezzal
Demarai Gray
Kelechi Iheanacho
Eldin Jakupović
James Justin
Andy King
Nampalys Mendy
Elliott Moore
Wes Morgan
Admiral Muskwe
Adrien Silva
Çağlar Söyüncü
Calvin Ughelumba
Danny Ward

4 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

No Silver in either squad

Looking for the wrong name probs isn't helping. 

5 minutes ago, TheLittleBigMan said:

Barnes surely has to be with the first 11? Very surprised with that one.

Gray at last chance saloon? Confidence booster for barnes as should be easier to score?

I do think you are right though,

Also think the bench will mostly be starters from rotherham match 

Im excited about this now. Looking good.

Actually think we've missed perez already in the last 2 games and think he could be the difference. Still probably light up top but of kelechi gets the same confidence boost that barnes will hopefully get, we could be closer than we think.

Still happy to see a first choice winger join, marquee style and a younger back up for maddison and tielemans.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TheLittleBigMan said:

Barnes surely has to be with the first 11? Very surprised with that one.

I think instead of sitting him on the bench for 70 minutes at Stoke (and this is for all benchers/fringe first XI that are not in the XI at Stoke), they are getting game time at Rotherham.

As people have said. Stoke XI is there or thereabouts for starting XI in PL. Rotherham XI are the next in line (i.e. subs for PL). The subs at both Stoke and Rotherham are U23's or rarities in the team (or some are still coming back from injuries like Benkovic).

Hope that makes some sort of sense...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1