Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Christian Kabasele

Depends on the fee but if the idea here is to have a stop gap / option player in case the youngsters don’t work out it could be a decent signing. Robert Huth seemed like a pretty underwhelming signing at the time too!

If the options are Dunk / Tarkowski for 50m for a worse but ok player for 15m, maybe this option is not the worst.  

Even though I rate Dunk / Tarkowski of it were me I’d invest in attacking players over defensive ones as it stands and 50m is a lot of money!

• Like 1

Hmmmmm. Watford's Kabasele was a decent player right, what happened to him? Oh, fallen out of favour with the new manager? Perfect, time for a transfer! Which middling club can we link him to for cheap... West Ham? No, too on the nose... Wait, I've got it, Everton need a new centreback! Oh, and Leicester! Ok, coin flip... "Here we go!" Leicester!

I don't know, he might be a good signing. Personally I think we'd be better off with a guy in his late 20s with proven EPL pedigree. A lot of fans seem to want the marquee signing at CB, but some of these tried, tested (but unspectacular) sorts might be much better for us, if the price is right. 

Kabasele is low-risk. He's proven he can do a job for a mid-table side, and we're a mid-table side with only two CBs who have shown the same sort of pedigree, one of which is 35, the other of which has a history of niggling injuries. He would offer competition for Soyuncu and Benkovic, and a relatively dependable alternative, without having the ego to believe he should be the first name on the team sheet. That gives the two younger players a serious chance of making the starting eleven.

And if the price is right, he might allow us to expand our options in other areas where we're more in need of investment (e.g. the wide attacking roles).

It's also worth remembering that Maguire really wasn't among our top performers last season. We didn't come close to falling apart when he wasn't in the side. To break the bank for his replacement seems a bit unnecessary.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Don't need a stop gap signings we have Evans who is the fcukin boyo and then Big Wes can step in if Soyuncu or Benkovic play up. Any replacement needs to be absolutely mustard or no point. Roads closed pizza boy, find another way home etc.

Tend to agree with this. 

Rashid Ghezzal looks to me like a stop-gap signing just for an extra body in the Mahrez position but it was really £12m plus wages wasted.  Money that I would have rather the club put toward the real deal.  It doesn't sound like a huge fee but it is nearly half again of what we paid for Perez and now we have the problem, I would have thought, of having to find a new club for him.

I like @Babylon's  idea of bringing in Gary Cahill in as proper experienced, PL ready cover for the 2 young CBs and for free!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Watford fans seem to think he’s solid for most of the game but has a catastrophic mistake in him every game - so basically Benny make two. 

Exactly. I've seen Watford play on a fair number of occasions over the past few 3 seasons (he signed 2016). Good at times but too inconsistent; not guaranteed a place. This seems like press speculation; it makes no sense at all. As someone said - if Maguire is worth £80m, Kabasele must be worth at least £10m.