Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

Liverpool asking a few questions of the officials after Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65677560

Wonder if they asked why Jota wasn’t sent off the other week v Spurs before scoring the winner ?

Will be even more frustrating for them now after Newcastle dropped points tonight .

Edited by Super_horns

Var doesnt work because you have to have capable officials in the first place to make the correct calls on video playback.. It's solved nothing it ruins the flow of games and I for one wouldn't be against it being scrapped

• Like 2

There isn’t enough force in it to be a red.

Well, I’ll put it this way, there’s nowhere near enough force for it to be over ruled by VAR if it’s not given on the field so VAR certainly isn’t to blame.

Gone for the ball ended up going in studs up very high, one of those that could of gone either way but for me, as everyone favourite outspoken Mancunian said, he’s got it right, just. But VAR isn’t going to overrule that no matter what card gets pulled out.

• Like 1

I'm tempted to say it was a red but if one of our players was sent off for that I'd have been fuming. I also think it's one of those where if someone like Xhaka, Shelvey or Casemiro does it, it's probably red.

That said Bruno has spent the season leaving a mark on players. For all his talent he's a dirty little fecker too.

7 hours ago, Buzzard said:

It wasn't a red. Come off it.

eh? it was over the ball, studs into his knee. the sort of challenge that, if Soumares foot sticks in the ground, is a shattered kneecap and career ender. it's as blatant a red as you'll ever see

7 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Liverpool asking a few questions of the officials after Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65677560

Wonder if they asked why Jota wasn’t sent off the other week v Spurs before scoring the winner ?

Will be even more frustrating for them now after Newcastle dropped points tonight .

lol they are pathetic. It’s like a self fulfilling prophecy. They go into every game looking for something to blame on the officials and surprise surprise, every game they find something!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

There isn’t enough force in it to be a red.

Well, I’ll put it this way, there’s nowhere near enough force for it to be over ruled by VAR if it’s not given on the field so VAR certainly isn’t to blame.

Gone for the ball ended up going in studs up very high, one of those that could of gone either way but for me, as everyone favourite outspoken Mancunian said, he’s got it right, just. But VAR isn’t going to overrule that no matter what card gets pulled out.

Straight leg, of which he seems to push through on Soumare for longer than he needed to having missed the ball. It's a red, force shouldn't relevant, it's reckless and parts of the follow through seem intentional. 

15 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Straight leg, of which he seems to push through on Soumare for longer than he needed to having missed the ball. It's a red, force shouldn't relevant, it's reckless and parts of the follow through seem intentional. 

Force is relevant. 

it’s literally in the laws of the game. Which is what officials have to adhere to, and it’s not a red for me. 

Arguing about the laws of the game is different to arguing about if they have been implemented correctly or not. Blaming VAR is certainly a waste of time as it’s not what we would define as a clear and obvious error.

18 hours ago, The Doctor said:

eh? it was over the ball, studs into his knee. the sort of challenge that, if Soumares foot sticks in the ground, is a shattered kneecap and career ender. it's as blatant a red as you'll ever see

He really hasn’t hit him with anywhere the amount of velocity to cause any kind of damage.

Never mind “shatter” his knee cap. It really takes some going to shatter someone’s knee cap.

Ask Roy Keane he had a pretty good go at it and failed. 

20 hours ago, The Doctor said:

We never get any luck:P

7 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Force is relevant. 

it’s literally in the laws of the game. Which is what officials have to adhere to, and it’s not a red for me. 

Arguing about the laws of the game is different to arguing about if they have been implemented correctly or not. Blaming VAR is certainly a waste of time as it’s not what we would define as a clear and obvious error.

I said force shouldn't be relevant, not that it isn't. Amazed you don't think that's a red

On 23/05/2023 at 08:17, Tommy Fresh said:

Well it is relevant and something that needs to be taken into account by all officials concerned so take it up with the people who write the rules 😂 

7 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I said force shouldn't be relevant, not that it isn't. Amazed you don't think that's a red

Oh it’s a tight one, far too high and nowhere near the ball. 

My opinion is irrelevant at the end of the day, I’m merely posting as this is the VAR thread and we no doubt have people blaming VAR for not over turning it I’m just saying it’s not a decision VAR is ever going to over turn as it’s not clear and obvious.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

4 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Oh it’s a tight one, far too high and nowhere near the ball. 

My opinion is irrelevant at the end of the day, I’m merely posting as this is the VAR thread and we no doubt have people blaming VAR for not over turning it I’m just saying it’s not a decision VAR is ever going to over turn as it’s not clear and obvious.

I think you're confusing violent conduct with serious foul play though, serious foul play doesn't require excessive force according to the FA. 

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY:
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

Just now, Tommy Fresh said:

I think you're confusing violent conduct with serious foul play though, serious foul play doesn't require excessive force according to the FA. 

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY:
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Nah violent conduct is head butting punching etc.

I mark level four referrers mate I know the difference. The tackle certainly doesn’t use excessive force or brutality. Does it endanger Soumare, highly debatable as there’s a good argument he’s not hit him hard enough to do any damage.