Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

2 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Nah violent conduct is head butting punching etc.

I mark level four referrers mate I know the difference. The tackle certainly doesn’t use excessive force or brutality. Does it endanger Soumare, highly debatable as there’s a good argument he’s not hit him hard enough to do any damage. 

Both feet off the ground, how much control do you think Bruno has over himself in that situation to ensure he doesn't hurt Soumare?

4 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Both feet off the ground, how much control do you think Bruno has over himself in that situation to ensure he doesn't hurt Soumare?

It’s a bad tackle. There’s just not enough velocity in it for it to be classed as endangering Soumare. 

We will be here all day. At the end of the day it’s one of those some people are going to think it is red some people are going to think it’s not.

• Like 1

I think he gives him red pre VAR when refs still showed some balls on big decisions.  I’m sure the refs now are thinking I don’t want to ruin the game giving out an early red and if I’ve made a mistake I’ll get told to have another look. Instead the bloke in the truck doesn’t tell him to look and the player gets away with it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

It’s a bad tackle. There’s just not enough velocity in it for it to be classed as endangering Soumare. 

We will be here all day. At the end of the day it’s one of those some people are going to think it is red some people are going to think it’s not.

Which is why it wasn’t over ruled by var 

on field decision stands 

57 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Nah violent conduct is head butting punching etc.

I mark level four referrers mate I know the difference. The tackle certainly doesn’t use excessive force or brutality. Does it endanger Soumare, highly debatable as there’s a good argument he’s not hit him hard enough to do any damage. 

My issue with it after looking at it a few times is the fact that when he connects he then leaves studs in and makes another motion after…. 

• Like 1

Pretty much identical to Sabitzer’s challenge on Wout Faes at Old Trafford and that  didn’t result in a red card either.

Dont buy this argument that there wasn’t sufficient excessive force to injure the recipient of these high tackles. They certainly endanger an opponent. Every day life is full of examples where seemingly innocuous impacts have major consequences for recipients yet other more serious impacts don’t......Its all a matter of luck 

5 hours ago, Bert said:

My issue with it after looking at it a few times is the fact that when he connects he then leaves studs in and makes another motion after…. 

He does a bit yes but again, is there that much init to dish out a red card for endangering an opponent. Not for me, just about.

Hes a lucky boy seen I’ve seen others walk for less.

5 hours ago, irishfoxkev said:

Pretty much identical to Sabitzer’s challenge on Wout Faes at Old Trafford and that  didn’t result in a red card either.

Dont buy this argument that there wasn’t sufficient excessive force to injure the recipient of these high tackles. They certainly endanger an opponent. Every day life is full of examples where seemingly innocuous impacts have major consequences for recipients yet other more serious impacts don’t......Its all a matter of luck 

I thought sabitzer was worse because he turned his back on faes.  I’m not convinced it should be a red but then I would question why Bruno didn’t pull his leg back more quickly (as pointed out earlier) 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

It just occurred to me but...

No VAR next season! :scarf:

Though it is used in the playoff finals. Watch us get a last minute winner ruled out for Nacho's thumb being offside.

We will be watching Play off finals from home working out where some of the teams in league 1 are and plan to visit them

• 2 weeks later...

The majority of global leagues want dialogue between referees and the video assistant referee (VAR) to be aired by broadcasters, a survey has found.

The Premier League was among 41 competitions surveyed by the World Leagues Forum, which is chaired by the Premier League's Richard Masters.

Twenty-five of the leagues surveyed said they were in favour of the move.

It comes after almost two-thirds of supporters said they oppose the use of VAR in English football.

The Premier League, where Masters is chief executive, declined to comment on whether it supports such a change after the anonymous survey.

Football's lawmaking body, the International Football Association Board (Ifab), currently does not allow the two-way audio feed to be heard by television audiences.

A survey of fans in England, from which the results were published in June, found 63.3% were against VAR with 79.1% of match-goers rating their experience of VAR as poor or very poor.

That contrasts with a 2017 survey by the Football Supporters' Association - prior to VAR's introduction - which found 74.6% of fans favoured the use of video referees to support on-field officials with game-changing decisions.

The World Leagues Forum was set up in 2016 and represents 41 professional football league bodies, including France's LFP, Germany's Bundesliga, Italy's Serie A and Spain's LaLiga.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66057001

1 hour ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Huge swing from those for it before it was introduced to now nearly 70% against, it’s ruining the spectacle for supporters, the customers if you like don’t want it, but will they get rid, of course not.

Because the clubs and managers want it incase they do get a decision going their way..

They don't care how long it takes or how the system is used if it means their side get a decision. 

7 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Because the clubs and managers want it incase they do get a decision going their way..

They don't care how long it takes or how the system is used if it means their side get a decision. 

Yes, your probably right, but is this more a boardroom desire as listening to players and managers I get a feeling a lot don’t care for it. 

How has it been in the championship without it? I’m looking forward to having a quick glance at the linesman and then celebrating a goal. There have been a number of times where with var I’ve not celebrated goals (despite me saying instinct would take over and you’d naturally celebrate before it was introduced) as a player has looked offside, a few were goals so I’ve missed that elation, the moment to celebrate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Yes, your probably right, but is this more a boardroom desire as listening to players and managers I get a feeling a lot don’t care for it. 

How has it been in the championship without it? I’m looking forward to having a quick glance at the linesman and then celebrating a goal. There have been a number of times where with var I’ve not celebrated goals (despite me saying instinct would take over and you’d naturally celebrate before it was introduced) as a player has looked offside, a few were goals so I’ve missed that elation, the moment to celebrate. 

It's become Second hand elation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Well we have had the usual decisions going for and against us but then with VAR who knows what the outcome would have been anyway which is the main frustration at times as their is no consistency. 

As you say goals where just celebrated normally which I guess makes a difference.

29 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Well we have had the usual decisions going for and against us but then with VAR who knows what the outcome would have been anyway which is the main frustration at times as their is no consistency. 

As you say goals where just celebrated normally which I guess makes a difference.

I can accept refs making mistakes, unless they are completely incompetent, it’s part of the game and they get one look at it. What is not acceptable is when someone has multiple looks at it and still gets it wrong.  I think I read somewhere before var that refs got something like 94% of decisions right, var would improve this by 2/3%. Is all the disruption worth that extra 3%. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I think the big issue is it seems to favour the bigger clubs, referees seem to have a unconscious bias towards bigger clubs. 

There were a few occasions last season where var should have give a red card to opposition but bottled it.

Then there are occasions where tge ref gets it wrong, some times var back up the wrong decision like the Eze penalty 🙄 clear dive yellow card. We had a penalty against Villa over turned which was more falling over. 

It's just out right shit. Get rid of VAR and FFP tge game will be much better. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66612570

Mike Dean declined to use VAR to save a fellow referee from 'grief'
Last updated on24 August 202324 August 2023.
From the sectionPremier League

Former Premier League referee Mike Dean failed to correct a mistake in a match to save his friend and fellow official Anthony Taylor from extra "grief".

Dean was the video assistant referee (VAR) for Chelsea's 2-2 draw with Tottenham in August 2022.

Just before a late Harry Kane equaliser Chelsea felt they should have had a penalty after Cristian Romero pulled Marc Cucurella's hair.

Dean acknowledged a "really bad call" not sending Taylor to review it.

"I missed the stupid hair pull at Chelsea versus Tottenham which was pathetic from my point of view," Dean told Simon Jordan's Up Front podcast.

"It's one of them where if I had my time again, what would I do? I'd send Anthony [Taylor] to the screen. I think I knew if I did send him to the screen…he's cautioned both managers, he's had a hell of a game, it's been such a tough game end to end.

"I said to Anthony afterwards: 'I just didn't want to send you to the screen after what has gone on in the game'.

"I didn't want to send him up because he is a mate as well as a referee and I think I didn't want to send him up because I didn't want any more grief than he already had."

Dean became a dedicated Premier League VAR last season after hanging up his whistle at the end of the 2021-22 campaign after referring over 550 matches in the top flight.

He was stood down from VAR duty for two months after the Stamford Bridge incident.

Wirral-born Dean subsequently brought an end to his 28-year career as a professional official because being in the VAR hot seat was something he ended up "dreading".

Dean added: "That was a major error. If they don't score from the corner it is not as big an issue.

"But I knew full well then I would be stood down the week after. I asked to take a bit of time off because it wasn't for me.

"I used to get in the car on a Friday and was dreading Saturday. I was thinking, 'I hope nothing happens'. I used to be petrified sitting in the chair."